News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Anyone know where I can find black upper rear door pads for a '68?

Started by MxRacer855, January 28, 2014, 08:31:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MxRacer855

Those pads that are above the door panels front and rear. Mine are all sun faded and cracking on my '68. I really don't know what they're called or where to look. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks guys.

Jeff

MxRacer855

Thanks Jason. I'm slowly making a "phone book" of car contact information!  :lol:

Here's another quick one for you... on my '68, I was removing the molding on my tail panel to polish it all up while I was replacing my trunk floor. The two "C" shaped pieces on each side came out easily along with the top molding piece... The bottom piece had nuts/washers missing in 2 or 3 spots. The others were very loose but seized up. They pulled the studs right out of the plastic molding that sits inside of the chrome molding. Now I replaced that hardware on my grille molding before and know that you can buy it separately. Unfortunately I can't find that lower tail panel molding hardware. I searched YearOne and a handful of other places. I know the hardware clips in and out of the chrome molding piece because I removed it and reinstalled it to make sure.

Do you guys know, can you get the molding hardware separately, or do you have to replace the piece itself?

Jeff

cdr

LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

MxRacer855

jaak

Quote from: MxRacer855 on January 29, 2014, 12:08:10 AM
Quote from: jaak on January 28, 2014, 08:58:37 PM
http://www.beaparts.com/list_items.aspx?body=B&cat=I&subcat=35

http://www.legendaryautointeriors.com/2164/CHARGER-66-70/catalog.html   <<<<(look on page 2)

Jason

If you need it, you need it. All I can say Jason is.... this isn't a cheap hobby! :brickwall:

Jeff

True that, I was just showing you they are available new. Now you can find use sets, sometimes really nice (usually cost more, of course), and sometimes you can find nice ones with maybe a small flaw or two. You can find them through CL ads, and on eBay, but the price usually varies. I actually did see a nice used set a couple of weeks ago on ebay (I was watching something else the seller had), they were red....but could easily be dyed black. They went for either 75 or 100 bucks.

Jason

Troy

The rears are a lot easier to find in good shape than the fronts! If you don't need show car quality then keep checking the site and eBay. However, if you buy a new set of fronts they won't match so go ahead and buy all four.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

MxRacer855

Thanks guys. I realized that my rear passenger side was lifting the leather off all of the edges. The previous owner had replaced all four door panels (if you still consider the rear section "doors"), but not the upper pads. The front upper pads are pretty dry, worn, and somewhat faded, but still good. No real cracks or material missing. It's very clear they don't match the new door panels though. Since all four panels are new like I said, it would be nice to get all four upper pads to really bring back that clean, dark, new look. But at $700 minimum... that money can be easily put to a better use on the car at this point in time.

Jason and Troy, if you guys just happened stumble across some decent rear ones or a full set and don't mind, please contact me or forward the information.

Thanks for the help!

Jeff

RAC95054

Quote from: MxRacer855 on January 29, 2014, 12:19:10 PM
Thanks guys. I realized that my rear passenger side was lifting the leather off all of the edges. The previous owner had replaced all four door panels (if you still consider the rear section "doors"), but not the upper pads. The front upper pads are pretty dry, worn, and somewhat faded, but still good. No real cracks or material missing. It's very clear they don't match the new door panels though. Since all four panels are new like I said, it would be nice to get all four upper pads to really bring back that clean, dark, new look. But at $700 minimum... that money can be easily put to a better use on the car at this point in time.

If your current upper door pads aren't cracked and falling apart, the cheap interim solution is to spray dye them.  Get a few cans of the correct color from SEMS, and the stuff to clean/prep them, and you should be good to go for under $25.  Try here for right color:

http://www.semproducts.com/

Try here to buy it (best price I found):

http://www.sjdiscounttools.com/sem39143.html

Play: Work that you enjoy doing for nothing.   -Evan Esar

Dino

I must have about a dozen of these pads now, all in crappy shape though so I can 'experiment'.   :coolgleamA:
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

MxRacer855