News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Building a hot 318, need some help!

Started by acelondon, February 10, 2014, 09:12:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

acelondon

Hey guys and dolls:

I'm starting with a 74 charger 318 with a 727 and 3.55 sure grip behind it.

My current plan (parts i have).

340 cam from Comp.
360 heads lightly worked from another member, on a shelf for years. I can get the casting if needed.
340 sourced 4bbl (thermoquad) and intake

What i need:

I've heard i need to shave 0.050" off the heads and match the intake to them. Is this correct?
Will i need to change the rockers? Do my hydro lifters take care of that?
Should i change my converter?

What else am i forgetting?

Thanks!

chargd72

How "hot" are you expecting to get it?  Then we can start with the build.

'72 Charger SE 4bbl 318                          '76 Power Wagon 400 W200                                 2011 (attempt at a) Charger

acelondon

Normal fun street build. Right now it converts gas into noise. That's about it. Maybe a burnout or two, since it wont even do that now.

chargd72

I was recently in your shoes and bought into the "potential" of the 318.  Yes they can be built into high power engines but that will cost some serious $.  I will share what I did without touching the bottom end.  It definitely helped wake it up but I'm not planning on winning any races.  I also have a 408 stroker project taking place due to lack of thrill of a slightly modified 318 in a heavy B body.

My build:

Stock Block, rods, and pistons.
340 resto cam from comp cams with matching springs and new lifters
Cast 302 closed chamber heads with port job, hardened seats and enlarged valves 1.88/1.60 (will probably be for sale soon)
.025 Thin crush gasket to bump up the compression even more.
Air gap intake
Hedman headers
Eddy 600 sitting on a 1 inch tapered spacer
Mallory hyfire 6a box
Mallory unilite distributer
Mallory firecore 8mm wires

It was a nice bump of from the stock engine but still nowhere near what I was hoping for.  And this is in front of a 904 which robs a lot less power than a 727.  I have a 8.75 rear with 3.23 gears.  With 2.73 you won't leave behind a lot of rubber. A converter change would help with that.

'72 Charger SE 4bbl 318                          '76 Power Wagon 400 W200                                 2011 (attempt at a) Charger

acelondon

From what i'm reading, my build should be in the 300hp range. Since this thing barley has 150 right now, ill take that as an upgrade. If i was looking for an easy 500, id be dropping a chevy 5.3 with a turbo in it. I rather have a firm 318. I just need to know what to do with these 360 heads. I've heard .020 - .050" shaved, but i dont know where that will leave my compression, so i dont know what to do.

Cooter

Stroke it to 390 C.I.
aluminum heads a must. Today's sh*tty fuel, you will be glad you did. 'Burnouts' require TORQUE. A 318/340 has very little for this.
heavy cars require TORQUE ......
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"