News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Eliminating Steering Play

Started by charlie45, March 12, 2014, 03:12:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

charlie45

Hello,

I drove my charger for the first time after having the HOTCHKIS TVS installed and number of other items, including a FIRM FEEL Stage II power steering box.

I was a little disappointed that the car still has quite a bit of play in the steering. I know these old cars will always have some play, but I really want to eliminate this issue to the best extent possible. My mechanic says Mopars generally have more steering play, blah blah blah. I think he just wants to wrap-up the project from his end though... 

What other parts would you address or look into to try solve the problem? Could certain worn out bushings be the issue? I know the Hotchkis TVS setup (http://www.hotchkis.net/6669_mopar_bbody_tvs_system.html) replaced a lot of the old parts that might be related to steering, but which other ones could still be an issue? If you guys could give me a list other parts to check to solve the problem, I would really appreciate it...

Thank, :cheers:

Charlie   

JB400

Did you check/ replace your tie rods, center link, pitman arm, and drag link?

:popcrn:

1974dodgecharger

look at the steering box and adjust from there.  There is a hex nut and then the nut that has the column into giong it your gonna have to adjust that too it will make it firmer and less play.

Cooter

Steering boxes will NEVER have the same feel as a rack and pinion.
you just have too many moving parts.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

charlie45

Thanks for the first feedback.

I think its unlikely that its the steering box, since this is a new unit from FIRM FEEL. I cant imagine that it already needs to be adjusted. Here are the following things that I plan to do:

1. I plan on installing the Flaming River Steering Coupler (https://www.flamingriver.com/index.php/products/c0005/s0006/FR1506P). From what Ive read on this forum that seems to help quite a bit in many cases.

2. New lower control arm bushings, Polyurethan from Energy Suspension (http://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/ens-5-3112r/overview/)

3. New Pitman & Idler Arms (http://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/pof-116-10026/overview/)

4. New Ball Joints for both sides (http://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/mog-k781/overview/)

What do you guys think, this should help address the whole issue. Any feedback on these parts would be appreciated before I go ahead with the order...

Thanks,

Charlie     

fy469rtse

Have a look at a recent jeep retro fit to replace our ageing steering boxes,the article was in mopar action or muscle, they even came up with unique solution the steering shaft adapter, so no cutting ,
The results were similar to having a rack , I wished I hadn't had my steering box rebuilt, I would have bought this

XH29N0G

Thanks for posting more on your progress.  I will be interested to see what is learned through the process.   :popcrn:
Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

bull

A new FF Stage 2 box will help but it won't pick up the slack created by other worn parts. If some of your front end parts are shot you can bet that's where your problem is.

charlie45

How about the lower ball joints on each side, can these play a role in loose steering? thx

polywideblock

do some research on the poly lower control arm bushing, i'v heard of people having to go back to rubber to stop the really loud and annoying  squeak   :Twocents:

and 71 GA4  383 magnum  SE

charlie45

Quote from: polywideblock on March 14, 2014, 12:12:10 PM
do some research on the poly lower control arm bushing, i'v heard of people having to go back to rubber to stop the really loud and annoying  squeak   :Twocents:

I'll keep that in mind. Based on what I can see on this forum there's mixed experiences with the polyurethane bushings versus the rubber on the lower control arms...

I just want to do everything to eliminate this issue and make sure that the steering is as tight as possible...

bill440rt

If you have play in your steering, then I would start at the steering system before jumping around.
Check your inner/outer tie rod ends, pitman & idler arms. The only way your center link will be "worn" is if the holes are hogged out, which is at most times unlikely.
If those other parts are worn, replace them. This should eliminate slop in your steering system. If you're not concerned about originality, a good upgrade is to the larger C-body tie rod ends. You will also need the larger sleeves as well.
If that doesn't do it, next I would look at lower ball joints, which is where the tie rod ends are attached to. At that point, if your front suspension parts are old or have never been replaced then now is the time to splurge on a rebuild kit.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

375instroke

Wiggle the steering wheel back and forth with the car running, and not running.  Look for parts moving, but the tires not.  These power boxes require movement on the input shaft before there's any movement on the output shaft.  This input movement on the input shaft moves the valve that directs power steering to one side of the power piston or the other.  This may be what you are feeling, and it is part of the design.  If parts are not worn out, you may try less toe in, or some toe out.

Dino

Quote from: bill440rt on March 15, 2014, 06:11:08 PM
If you have play in your steering, then I would start at the steering system before jumping around.
Check your inner/outer tie rod ends, pitman & idler arms. The only way your center link will be "worn" is if the holes are hogged out, which is at most times unlikely.
If those other parts are worn, replace them. This should eliminate slop in your steering system. If you're not concerned about originality, a good upgrade is to the larger C-body tie rod ends. You will also need the larger sleeves as well.
If that doesn't do it, next I would look at lower ball joints, which is where the tie rod ends are attached to. At that point, if your front suspension parts are old or have never been replaced then now is the time to splurge on a rebuild kit.

Knowing nothing about steering....except that it's usually done with a steering wheel...what does this upgrade do to the car?
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.