News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

3M 08983 prep sol, anybody

Started by beedees, February 10, 2014, 03:38:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

beedees

ever used this? Being waterbased, I'm kinda leery here. Thanks :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Dino

Good stuff, used it many many years ago.  Nothing wrong with an alcohol/water mix either.

What's the deal with waterbased paints here?  I started using them in '93 in Europe, is it still not the norm here?
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

bill440rt

Haven't tried that stuff, but the solvent based DuPont Prep-Sol takes f-o-r-e-v-e-r to wipe off.

Here in the northeast US, many shops have already converted to waterborne.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

Dino

Quote from: bill440rt on February 11, 2014, 11:56:59 AM
Haven't tried that stuff, but the solvent based DuPont Prep-Sol takes f-o-r-e-v-e-r to wipe off.

Here in the northeast US, many shops have already converted to waterborne.

I'm all for a slow evap cleaner so I actually have the time to wipe the entire panel, but yeah some are just ridiculously slow.  I still love the good old alcohol/water mix.  You can blend it yourself and decide how fast you want it to flash.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

bill440rt

What I liked using the old Prep Sol for, was to wipe the entire panel with it after a good block sanding. Since it stayed wet longer, it would give you a good idea how straight (or not) the panel was after blocking.
Other than that I preferred DuPont's Final Clean for a pre-paint wipe.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce