News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Removing stainless trim from vent frame

Started by bull, February 09, 2014, 09:03:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bull

I would like to remove the stainless trim at the back of the wing window to straighten it but it won't budge. There's just one screw at the top but if I'm seeing things right there's two spot welds that also hold it to the inner frame. Has anyone had luck removing that thing without screwing it up worse?

469 runner

You are better off removing vent window frame from door entirely and polishing on buffer.  The stainless trim is more or less permanently attached. You can separate the pot-metal portion and send out to rechrome.

bull

The stainless piece I'm referring to is the only "permanently" attached piece of stainless in the assembly. It looks like it's a stainless shell that snaps or slides in place and is then spot welded in two spots along the span where zero clearance is needed. It's got dings and needs to be removed and repaired (see pic).

I didn't see where Shakey removed this piece in his thread,

8WHEELER

I have done four sets now, they can be a fight, but this thread does show how it is done, they are very sweet when done.
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,26505.0.html

As you can see you just grind off the peen-ed over pins, and then when going back together, be very carefull getting
things line up, you can only do this process once   :yesnod:  unless you can get the metal epoxy to hold well.

Dan
74 Dart Sport 360, just for added fun.

bill440rt

Curtis, that stainless molding itself is basically permanently attached to the vertical channel frame. It is very difficult to remove.
The vertical post can be removed at the top with a screw hidden behind the rubber stop. At the corner where the glass would be there are two pop rivets that need to be drilled out, then it can be separated.
If yours is dented, you're better off finding an undented replacement.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

bull

Thanks. I'm going to ask a couple local guys if they've got one in good shape they'll let go. My bravery to disassemble things improves when I've got a plan B.

bill440rt

I'm sorry, my mistake. I mentioned pop rivets in my previous post. It is actually attached at the bottom with two small spot welds.
When I reassembled mine I used pop rivets in that area.  :cheers:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

bull

I got it off. There are two spot welds, one about 2.5" below the top screw and one about 3" from the bottom. I found center as best I could and drilled them out from the back side with a small bit. Then I took a larger bit and drilled the front side being careful not to go all the way through, basically chamfering it. That didn't quite do it (obviously not touching all of the spot weld) so I used a carbide grinding bit to cut more metal out around the chamfered hole. I tapped upward against the bottom edge of the stainless and it broke loose and slid off the top. :2thumbs: