News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Paint or Powder coat the grill frame

Started by green69rt, February 03, 2014, 06:20:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bull

I've powder coated tons of parts on my car but I chose not to powder coat the grill frame because of its location. Too much traffic in that area and I didn't want to have to try matching the shade if I would have had to touch it up someday. Plus, I wasn't sure how straight it was until I shot it with some paint. I suppose I could have stripped the paint back off once I figured that out but by then once you're that far why go back?

As far as blasting it? Definitely. I can't imagine prepping that thing any other way. Just make sure you get all the media off it though.

green69rt

Quote from: bull on February 05, 2014, 08:12:28 PM
I've powder coated tons of parts on my car but I chose not to powder coat the grill frame because of its location. Too much traffic in that area and I didn't want to have to try matching the shade if I would have had to touch it up someday. Plus, I wasn't sure how straight it was until I shot it with some paint. I suppose I could have stripped the paint back off once I figured that out but by then once you're that far why go back?

As far as blasting it? Definitely. I can't imagine prepping that thing any other way. Just make sure you get all the media off it though.

Actually getting all the soda off (or what ever is used) is probably my biggest concern.  Next is making sure that all the little nooks and crannies are coated.  I've used the powder coat shop before and they did well but this is extra hard and just a little concerned.  If I got is blasted and then primed it myself, I guess I would feel more confident (maybe.)  But I like the durability of the powder coat.  This  is why I put the question out.....

bull

Powder coating is very durable but it's not invincible. The other parts I had coated actually steered me away from having the grill frame coated too. It scuffs fairly easily and I wouldn't know how to fix it. There may be a way to do it but I don't know it. It's not horrible but it is noticable. The parts that got scuffed were parts that were done a long time ago and stored.

469 runner

Powder coat looks nice and is very durable, but I painted mine in acrylic enamel so I could color sand and polish it.  If it ever gets scuffed up or scratched it is easy to touch up.  It turned out great and am very happy I did it this way.

twodko

I had the grille "top plate"? powder coated semi gloss and it's proved to be a good choice. Glad I did.
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!