News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

LEE1 video...where is it?

Started by Dreamcar, February 09, 2014, 08:41:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brock Lee

Quote from: Dreamcar on September 23, 2014, 05:46:32 AM
Isn't the restored LEE1 the closest you'll get today, considering that, as mentioned,  the original pieces have weathered and aged 35years? Scanning those will likely not be accurate anyway. So, why not just duplicate the color on todays LEE1? The trying to replicate work has already been done.

Because Lee1 is no longer the exact color we painted it. It started fading very quickly, even though it rarely saw UV's.

The car was loaned out for 2 weeks in the summer of 2007. When it came back the fade was obvious. I found out it spent the whole 2 weeks outside. The fade happened that quickly. When I saw it again in 2012, it had faded even more.

We are lucky the best surviving examples of the pilot cars orange paint were never really beat up by direct UV's. But I suspect if they had the same exposure, they too would fade just as quickly. On the show the cars rarely lived long enough for the paint to fade. And when they did, they would get freshened up from time to time. I am sure you can look at the layers of those cars paint jobs and find several shades of orange, all starting out close to the same, but looking different to each other depending on how much they faded between resprays.  

Dreamcar

Quote from: Brock Lee on September 23, 2014, 01:20:53 PM
Quote from: Dreamcar on September 23, 2014, 05:46:32 AM
Isn't the restored LEE1 the closest you'll get today, considering that, as mentioned,  the original pieces have weathered and aged 35years? Scanning those will likely not be accurate anyway. So, why not just duplicate the color on todays LEE1? The trying to replicate work has already been done.

Because Lee1 is no longer the exact color we painted it. It started fading very quickly, even though it rarely saw UV's.

The car was loaned out for 2 weeks in the summer of 2007. When it came back the fade was obvious. I found out it spent the whole 2 weeks outside. The fade happened that quickly. When I saw it again in 2011, it had faded even more.

We are lucky the best surviving examples of the pilot cars orange paint were never really beat up by direct UV's. But I suspect if they had the same exposure, they too would fade just as quickly. On the show the cars rarely lived long enough for the paint to fade. And when they did, they would get freshened up from time to time. I am sure you can look at the layers of those cars paint jobs and find several shades of orange, all starting out close to the same, but looking different to each other depending on how much they faded between resprays. 

Yes, but I thought original parts had already been scanned for the LEE1 during restoration, therefore that paint code from the restoration days would already exist somewhere. In other words, re-scannig old parts that are now 10 years older or scanning the now faded LEE1 would not be necessary.

"And another thing, when I gun the motor, I want people to think the world is coming to an end." - Homer Simpson

1969 Charger, 383, Q5/V1W, A35, H51, N88,  numbers match (under restoration)

Brock Lee

Oh, okay, I getcha. Yes, I own that paperwork.

So, I guess now the question is "why" I wont share it. I lost a lot in this deal. Then there is the sale, of which I devoted months of my time with a promised percentage of the sale price of the car. I came home with a custom Lee1 car cover. Nothing more.  As far as I am concerned, I have a lot tied up into this stuff. But it is my property. I prefer to keep it to myself. Is it selfish? Yes. But being generous didn't get me very far in this whole deal.

Flame red. It is close enough.

Cncguy

Quote from: Brock Lee on September 23, 2014, 01:40:23 PM
Oh, okay, I getcha. Yes, I own that paperwork.

So, I guess now the question is "why" I wont share it. I lost a lot in this deal. Then there is the sale, of which I devoted months of my time with a promised percentage of the sale price of the car. I came home with a custom Lee1 car cover. Nothing more.  As far as I am concerned, I have a lot tied up into this stuff. But it is my property. I prefer to keep it to myself. Is it selfish? Yes. But being generous didn't get me very far in this whole deal.

Flame red. It is close enough.

Being generous gets you a lot further than you realize. I hope you don't punish all of us because some greedy ex friend of yours screwed you on a deal.

Brock Lee

I am not punishing anyone. I am doing as I please with my property. Nobody is "entitled" to anything. I would never place expectations on what you do with your property. I would like the same treatment in return.

Dreamcar

Although some of us may not see the value in withholding a paint code, it is still your perogative to do with it as you please.
"And another thing, when I gun the motor, I want people to think the world is coming to an end." - Homer Simpson

Cncguy

As much hate as that car inspires it should have been crushed or left there to rot. I never got these kind of messages from "The Dukes of Hazzard" growing up watching it. It definately makes me reconsider if I should build a General Lee or not.

Dreamcar

Quote from: Cncguy on September 23, 2014, 02:33:20 PM
As much hate as that car inspires it should have been crushed or left there to rot. I never got these kind of messages from "The Dukes of Hazzard" growing up watching it. It definately makes me reconsider if I should build a General Lee or not.

Just Lee1 has that effect. If I was going to build a GL, it would be a more generic GA (Lee 2 or 3, whatever one didnt' have the full cage) or early CA with narrow pushbar and stock tan interior. I actually think GLs look better without the rocker mouldings that LEE1 had.

TUFCAT

Brock Lee has been more than generous with the information he's already shared on this topic.  His generosity being questioned (beyond what's been shared) is really nobody's business.  :Twocents: :Twocents:

Cncguy

Quote from: TUFCAT on September 23, 2014, 03:14:29 PM
Brock Lee has been more than generous with the information he shared on this topic.  His generosity being questioned Beyond sharing information, is nobody's business.

I don't care about the Dr Phil drama about the history of this car. What I do care about is other members pride in making an exacting replica of Lee1. If I make my car a general lee I'm painting 75 corvette flame red, but other members are a little more detail oriented than me.

knightprowl

My list on LEE 1 isn't finished Dreamcar. I am still talking with Jim Shine and getting as much information from him as I can. It will be a long time before my list is finished. So I don't suggest anyone start making a LEE 1 replica until I finish my list. Unless your making a replica of LEE 1 and don't care for every single part or feature or for complete accuracy and just want a basic LEE 1 look like the restored LEE 1 then by all means do so.

But if your like me and want 100% accuracy then I suggest waiting until my list is finished. Which might be years from now. So don't expect it anytime in the near future. And isn't that all anyone can do? Buy a car and work on it as they go along. Adding what they can when they can. Fixing and replacing things and etc. It takes years and years to make something like this. Maybe in a couple decades I will have bought and finished my LEE 1 replica.

But it certainly wont be any time in the near future. These things take time and money and a lot of them. But I will eventually get a car and make my LEE 1 replica. For now All I care about is getting the car. Making it into LEE 1 isn't my concern right since my list isn't finished. But once it is and I know all there is to know about LEE 1 then I will start making my car into LEE 1. But not until then. Anyways I hope that answers your questions Dreamcar.

Thank you and Peace.

Dreamcar

Although we are talking on two theads, I think my point is that the Charger (a good running car with solid body work and the factory options you want) will take time to build, the GL uniform not so much (paint, wheels, etc). So why not get the car sooner rather than later so at least you have one to work with over time.

And you may wait forever if Jim Shine (Brock Lee) doesnt want to share the paint code, which is his choice.

knightprowl

Thanks But I am working on it. As I have said before he is planning to have his LEE 1 parts scanned and a color code made from them someday. But the color is the least of my problems. So far he has given me great information. And I am taking any and all that I can get from him. So wish me luck on it. And I updated my list in case you wanted to see. I limited it to what I must have without all the options as before. So let me know if I could get what my list says now or not. And I will buy a car eventually. Just have to get the money to do so first which might be a few years. But Will have to wait and see.

Thank you and Peace.

Brock Lee

I already have Lee1's color. I still need to get the picture cars orange scanned and maybe the Elm Street cars (my sample is so small, I am not sure I can get it analyzed). But just looking at these paints, I have a great eye for color as I match paints for guitar work all the time, they are all the same. The only difference I see is the picture cars color is a little more vibrant. I am not sure if it is the lack of UV exposure (it had not been exposed to any from 1978-2005) or if its special basecoat plays a role. It could be a bit of both.

69wannabe

Just a question about the Lee 1 deck lid, some say TB has it and that he made one up and gave it back to Henry Hollman or does Mr. Hollman actually have the Lee 1 deck lid???

Mr. Lee

Quote from: 69wannabe on September 23, 2014, 09:33:38 PM
Just a question about the Lee 1 deck lid, some say TB has it and that he made one up and gave it back to Henry Hollman or does Mr. Hollman actually have the Lee 1 deck lid???

According to Jon Holland TB has swapped the original decklid for a fake. Jon has pics made of the fake one that Henry Holman now has and they show differences indeed with the original decklid.
Just check the post Jon's board here: http://dukesofhazzard1.proboards.com/thread/340/hollyrock-deck-lid-removed?page=4

TUFCAT

Error w/link. "do not have permission to access thread".

lukedukem

Quote from: TUFCAT on September 24, 2014, 06:49:17 AM

i tried to go to the forum and click on threads and i get the same message for the whole webpage. i went here

http://dukesofhazzard1.proboards.com/

and tried to click on threads but no worky.

luke
1969 Charger XP29F9B226768
1981 CJ7 I6 258ci
2016 F150, 5.0, FX4, CC

Mr. Lee

Quote from: TUFCAT on September 24, 2014, 06:49:17 AM

You must login first to read the posts on the board  ;)

If you're not a member yet, you can register here: https://login.proboards.com/register/1274956

Mikesmoparperformance

Quote from: knightprowl on September 20, 2014, 02:49:36 PM

The general lee varies a lot. So its the owners own personal choice as to what era to go with or what color to go with and etc. Anyways I think I have explained this enough so that everyone gets what I am saying. The general lee is the general lee. No matter what decals or colors or push bar and etc that you use the general lee is the general lee none the same. We just have our own personal general lee how we want it to be with our own personal touches.

No.. A General Lee with Wrong Decals on is not a good General Lee.. You can paint it what you like.. hemi orange.. Hugge of 75 flame.. The Rest must be correct.. Interior Black or Tan.. it is a choise, but a GL with Wrong Decals on the car is just Wrong.. The Reunion had small Decals.. It looks terrible.. I still don't understand why the ever used that on the car..

As for the color.. Hemi Orange was used.. in the beginning of the show.. But this was not good on Film.. To much RED!! So they used 75 Flame for the rest of the Series.. So you must paint it that color.. and Hemi only for the Georgia Cars..  

Jim, says no about LEE 3 not to be V2.. well that is his saying in that.. I doubt that.. Because that car was T3 Bronze.. The V2 Hemi Orange was the best Paint to go by.. For LEE 1 Lee 2 LEE 3 are Flame.. they also used Hugger 1 time because Flame was up..  
MOPAR OR NO CAR

1966 Dodge Charger 383 CI

knightprowl

I didn't mean it like that mike. But yes your correct in saying that. It isn't a general lee without the correct items. That means the decals. exterior color, roll cage or roll bar. interior color. cb radio and antenna. small or wide push bar, wheels and tires and etc. However it does not need to be based on any specific era or episode or movie.

The owner can mix and match all they want to make there own personal general lee. But using the correct items to achieve that is important. And only people who aren't true dukes fans or who just don't care are the ones that ruin it when they make a general lee replica without using correct items. So it does matter a lot. Anyways hopefully you get what I meant now.

Thank you and Peace.

knightprowl

Also LEE 1 was T3 light bronze metallic. LEE 2 was a blue color not sure which one and LEE 3 was F5 medium green metallic and was the only Georgia era general lee to be a R/T SE. And all three of them where 1975 corvette flame red/orange flame with LEE 1 having more red and black which made it a brighter red color but not by much which is the reason it looks like hemi orange since hemi orange is more of a red color then an orange color. Its funny though. Hemi orange is more red. Yet flame red is more orange. Weird isn't it?

Thank you and Peace.

Mike DC

Quote. . . . It isn't a general lee without the correct items. That means the decals. exterior color, roll cage or roll bar. interior color. cb radio and antenna. small or wide push bar, wheels and tires and etc. However it does not need to be based on any specific era or episode or movie.

The owner can mix and match all they want to make there own personal general lee. But using the correct items to achieve that is important. And only people who aren't true dukes fans or who just don't care are the ones that ruin it when they make a general lee replica without using correct items. So it does matter a lot. Anyways hopefully you get what I meant now.

:Twocents:

The only yardstick you can really measure a car against, is what the owner was trying to build.  Very few people are trying to make a 100% accurate GL replica.  

And that's fine.  This is obscure trivia about raggedy slammed-together prop cars used in a goofy TV show 35 years ago.  It's worth shits & giggles in the big picture.

familymopar

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on September 26, 2014, 05:07:03 AM
Quote. . . . It isn't a general lee without the correct items. That means the decals. exterior color, roll cage or roll bar. interior color. cb radio and antenna. small or wide push bar, wheels and tires and etc. However it does not need to be based on any specific era or episode or movie.

:Twocents:

The only yardstick you can really measure a car against, is what the owner was trying to build.  Very few people are trying to make a 100% accurate GL replica. 

And that's fine.  This is obscure trivia about raggedy slammed-together prop cars used in a goofy TV show 35 years ago.  It's worth shits & giggles in the big picture.

I agree!

1968 Charger R/T 440 727
1971 Duster Pro-Street
2009 Challenger SRT8 6 Speed
2009 Jeep Cherokee SRT8