News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

LEE1 video...where is it?

Started by Dreamcar, February 09, 2014, 08:41:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Homerr

If the roof would have been reused instead of being sold off to s collector then it could have been much more legit as a repair, based on how much they had to start with.  Now with Bubba buying the car and being flip in his comment about the interior it seems like this cars hard life will continue.

I also want to say that I'm not a big fan of the whole DoH wrecking Chargers and the endless clones, but this car was significant and deserved better than the string of yahoos that have been involved.

Mike DC

QuoteIf the roof would have been reused instead of being sold off to s collector then it could have been much more legit as a repair, based on how much they had to start with.  Now with Bubba buying the car and being flip in his comment about the interior it seems like this cars hard life will continue.

I also want to say that I'm not a big fan of the whole DoH wrecking Chargers and the endless clones, but this car was significant and deserved better than the string of yahoos that have been involved.

Agreed.

Honestly though, you could see this coming (at least the resto) from miles away when they first found the car in 2001.  The first time I saw the car in person a decade ago I took a bunch of pictures of it because I was expecting an eventual resto. 

You can't dangle the idea of having "THE ORIGINAL GENERAL LEE!!!" in front of the public for very long before somebody is gonna bite.  Even if the car had survived in orange condition it was gonna get restored sooner or later.  People usually value shiny nice things more than preserving run-down raggedy bits of history. 

paironines

Quote from: jaak on February 09, 2014, 12:38:34 PM
IIRC, the usable roof, rollcage and some other parts were sold off to collectors. I guess all this wound up in the scrap pile...

Jason
If the front rails/ firewall, roof were good, and the cut up blue car picture really doesn't look that bad, why the need for a donor car?

Cooter

What pissed me off about this whole deal is none of this from finding the car, to the restore' was done by fans of the DOH. It was all done for money by greedy f*cks who I hope rot in hell.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Ghoste

Not trying to stir bad blood, but I thought TB was a DOH guy?

Cooter

Quote from: Ghoste on February 16, 2014, 10:29:55 AM
Not trying to stir bad blood, but I thought TB was a DOH guy?

And that there is how he got so many to buy his license plates, believe that Lee 1 truly is the real car, and he really isn't the evil incarnate.

He's no true fan, he's just a common, run o the mill, garden variety flipper who would sell his own mother in the name of profit. I hope he rots in hell,, his family never sees the light of day from the shame he has brought unto their name, he catches a weird disease that not even the CIA has heard of, and suffers like Lee 1 has.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Ghoste

I'm not defending him in any way, I just thought he had been active in the DOH circle was all.

JB400

I guess he's more like HLPAG.  A fan of money that sees the dollar signs from DOH as easiest to collect.

Cooter

And to think, 'they' bought it for like $600.00.........

Ghoste

Wow.  Did he hunt it down or hear about it or just how did he come to steal it that way?

daytona71

Go over to the CGLFC fan pages. Look up "Lee 1 Updated-Read FIRST POST AGAIN **NEW CONTRADICTIONS**" There are some other pictures posted there of the roof cut off laying on the garage floor. 25 pages of comments on Lee 1.

Cooter

Oh no, 'Diablo' had this planned for some time  when he sent out the word he was looking for "Georgia GL Chargers".

Ghoste

Cooter

Sad indeed. Dare i say A 'real' fan woulda crushed what was left to keep what happened, from happening.
History is great. Preserving it is great, but sooner or later, vouchers come out and greed takes over.

Nowhere in this hobby is it even implied that these cars/star cars should pay off your house, buy you your dream Ferrari, make you rich, etc.

As long as there's those out there, and idiotic TV shows like  "fast and ludicrous", the lure of money will always cause this type thing to overshadow history.

XS29L9Bxxxxxx

Quote from: Cooter on February 16, 2014, 11:29:27 AM
Sad indeed. Dare i say A 'real' fan woulda crushed what was left to keep what happened, from happening.
History is great. Preserving it is great, but sooner or later, vouchers come out and greed takes over.

Nowhere in this hobby is it even implied that these cars/star cars should pay off your house, buy you your dream Ferrari, make you rich, etc.

As long as there's those out there, and idiotic TV shows like  "fast and ludicrous", the lure of money will always cause this type thing to overshadow history.

I'm a fan, and disagree.  :Twocents:  I would have bought it, restored it (or had it restored), and proceeded to drive the heck out of it  :2thumbs:

Brock Lee

IIRC, the usable roof, rollcage and some other parts were sold off to collectors. I guess all this wound up in the scrap pile...

Jason

That is not Lee1.

While I can point out a dozen differences, the easiest one for everybody to see is the rear valance. Compare what is on this car to Lee1's removed part now owned by a member of this board. I am sure a few noticed this is not Lee1, but it helps push an agenda, so they let it fly.

Believe none of what you hear, and half of what you see.

jaak

Quote from: Brock Lee on February 16, 2014, 05:20:08 PM

Jason

That is not Lee1.

While I can point out a dozen differences, the easiest one for everybody to see is the rear valance. Compare what is on this car to Lee1's removed part now owned by a member of this board. I am sure a few noticed this is not Lee1, but it helps push an agenda, so they let it fly.

Believe none of what you hear, and half of what you see.

I found this pic on Hazzardnet. Not long after I posted it on here, I noticed a couple of differences too, and come to the same conclusion....this isn't Lee1.

But there is probably more of this car left than Lee1. There is no 'agenda' to push, everyone knows Lee1 no longer exsists. In fact I am impressed with the way they recreated it to look like the first episode, but it's just that, a recreation. Most folks don't like the fact more of the car could have been used, instead of sold off to fill pockets. The most incriminating real photos of Lee1 was posted by TB his self.

Jason

Brock Lee

Quote from: jaak on February 16, 2014, 08:40:34 PM

I found this pic on Hazzardnet. Not long after I posted it on here, I noticed a couple of differences too, and come to the same conclusion....this isn't Lee1.

But there is probably more of this car left than Lee1. There is no 'agenda' to push, everyone knows Lee1 no longer exsists. In fact I am impressed with the way they recreated it to look like the first episode, but it's just that, a recreation. Most folks don't like the fact more of the car could have been used, instead of sold off to fill pockets. The most incriminating real photos of Lee1 was posted by TB his self.

Jason

I wasn't blaming you. I am blaming others that have seen this picture that know it isn't Lee1, but don't speak up. But now that you acknowledge it isn't Lee1, what good does that picture do? Illustrate a belief you have based on what you have heard? It certainly isn't a belief based on what you have witnessed.

Things to think about:

How much of Lee1 existed in the 71 car?

Of what was left, how much was salvageable after being wrecked, beat up by the crew to look like a wrecked race car? After decades of rotting away?

How much of the car is present in the restored version today versus what the knitting circle speculation and gossip has led others to believe?

If the case was made, then why are fake condemning photos popping up?

jaak

Well, like I said, I thought it was real when I copied it.  I just posted the pic, because when the post began...I thought it was a relevant picture, but it's not.  Dang, It was an honest mistake.

Jason

Mike DC

What really should have been done was obvious from the day LEE1/#71 was found:  Leave #71 the way it was.  Recreate the pre-jump LEE1 entirely out of a donor car and display both cars together.  It would have produced more to display, preserved more history, and would have probably even been cheaper & easier.  

But that wouldn't have stood a chance at making anyone a pile of money.  

Cooter

Shoulda been crushed. Then, this thread wouldn't have even been. Sad.

Dreamcar

Now that a few years have gone by, someone who was there to see Lee1 being built should come out and say: "Here's what was really done and why".
"And another thing, when I gun the motor, I want people to think the world is coming to an end." - Homer Simpson

1969 Charger, 383, Q5/V1W, A35, H51, N88,  numbers match (under restoration)

GL#10

I was there different times of the build , and the last few weeks mad rush
to finish it for the event in Covington .

My trunk lid and pushbar where used on it , I helped Jim shine paint
the new roll cage , fitted the interior a bunch of stuff .

What went wrong with the build , it's simple

1. Greed

2.  They simply ran out if time to finish it for the event in Covington .

Hats of to the body shop on joining the two cars back together .

It should never have went back to Travass , it should have been left
The way it was found .

Every part that was removed from lee-1 was sold off , the roof skin went
to a collector in Canada , other parts went to other duke collectors , most
Of the parts ended up in P.a .

A shame to see it end up the way it did .

Dreamcar

Thanks GL. In your opinion, was using as much donor car as they did the only way to get Lee1 ON the road or could more have been saved and still have it roadworthy?
"And another thing, when I gun the motor, I want people to think the world is coming to an end." - Homer Simpson

1969 Charger, 383, Q5/V1W, A35, H51, N88,  numbers match (under restoration)

Cooter

I'd like to know what's up with the title. Most times, junkyards DO NOT sell cars with titles.
wonder if the title comes back to Lee1's VIN?

I guess the old guy TB and Gary sat down with, promised the world to, said they'd never sell it, etc.may have kept the titles to Rock's patrol car and Lee 1......