News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

68 Charger engine harness-name that wire

Started by NHCharger, February 07, 2014, 10:19:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NHCharger

So I'm trying to decipher the new engine wiring harness. The old one is completely hacked. I have figured out where everything goes (I think), except for these last two wires. I can't seem to find them in my FSM diagram.

The one on the left is connected to terminal N on the B/H connector. On the inside of the car the wire from terminal N (J2-16DBL) runs to the ignition switch. A wire (P4-18DBL) runs out of that same terminal to the Brake system warning Lamp. In the engine compartment that plug is connected to B/H connector N, the ECU, green wire with yellow stripe, ballast resistor, and the voltage regulator, DBL or Purple wire. I'm partially color blind which makes this more challenging.

Wire on the right is only connected to the green wire off the voltage regulator.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone
79 Lil Red Express - future money pit
88 Ramcharger 4x4- current money pit
55 Dodge Royal 2 door - wife's money pit
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

cdr

LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

NHCharger

72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

cdr

on mine the wire coming from the n bulk head plugged on the regulator,the wiring was split at the plug,that goes to the ballast resistor
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver

cdr

i cant see the wires on the right,is that 2 wires in one connector?

jaak

Is your new harness upgraded to use the 70-up dual field alternator? By your description (and the color of the wires) looks like those wires go to the "2" field terminals of a dual field alternator. The engine harness I bought for my 69 had the upgrades for dual field alternator and electronic ignition.

Jason

NHCharger

Quote from: cdr on February 07, 2014, 10:55:12 PM
i cant see the wires on the right,is that 2 wires in one connector?

Yes. That runs to the Alt. The second wire on that I believe goes to the horn relay (I'll have to check in the morning). The FSM shows that it should go to the Starter Relay.

Jaak- Hmm, possible. Looks like the green wire definitely goes to the alt.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

Dino

I have to agree with Jaak, you have a 70 and up loom and that's likely all that is being made.  You can still wire it like the stock setup if you want but it may be a good time to upgrade to the dual field system.

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Lord Warlock

If the green wire goes to the alternator,  is your plug the right size for the connector on the alternator?  Mine has the wrong sized plug for the connector on the alternator itself, it has one that is an O ring that fits on one terminal.  Was wondering the same thing myself today,  Also had a question on another plug near the end of my harness.  Will take a pic tomorrow. 
69 RT/SE Y3 cream yellow w/tan vinyl top and black r/t stripe. non matching 440/375, 3:23, Column shift auto w/buddy seat, tan interior, am/fm w/fr to back fade, Now wears 17" magnum 500 rims and Nitto tires. Fresh repaint, new interior, new wheels and tires.

Nacho-RT74

if your harness got this plug:

both wires go to alternator... is made for electronic regulator setup,
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

NHCharger

thanks for the replies guys. Jaak's diagram was what I needed. When I went down to the shop the next morning I realized I hadn't traced the wire on the left all the way thru and my FSM does show it going to the Alt. And yes the green wire does go to the Alt also and I do have the duel field Alt.
This is what happens when I work on the car at night after a long cold day at work. Cannot think straight. Thankfully have you guys to bail my ass out.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel