News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Starting headliner install!

Started by sanders7981, February 08, 2014, 07:01:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sanders7981

Since i am on a roll with the interior... I am moving to the headliner next.  I have all the pieces required... I think, lol.  However, I order covered sail panel boards.  Will that be an issue when installing the headliner?  Even though the boards and headliner are from different companies/vendors, they match.  I have watched the video that PUI has for installing a headliner, but I was wondering about the covered sail panels.  I am not sure what to do with the excess material that the panels will cover. 

Back N Black

sanders7981

sanders7981

Shot of my headliner.  I think my issue may come when installing the rear bow and trying to figure out how to attach the covered sail panel...

Back N Black

The sail panel boards are on the inside of the headliner, no need to cover with material. When i did my headliner, i did not install the headliner boards.

sanders7981

I didn't cover them, they came that way.  How do the board attach to the body?  I see nothing that looks like mounting holes or tabs that secure the boards to the inner roof frame.   :shruggy:

b5blue

My 70 had 1 spring clip per side, up near the top. A hole was punched in the new side board for it. I had to use a thin bead of black 3M trim adhesive on just about all edges to hold fabric firmly. Put all screws in before starting install then cut to them after. I was very disappointed in my R.E.M. headliner insulation, too small and wimpy at best, if I had more time/money would have done something much better.   

jaak

The reason they sell covered headliner boards is because some headliners don't have the sail area sewn onto them. I bought a headliner (listed for a 68) from PUI...when it came in it didn't have the sail areas on them. It came with extra material (2 triangle shaped pieces) to cover the boards (which I did), because I had the plain boards that go behind the sail panel areas that are sewn in. Am I making sense? And like Back in Black said, that is a great thread by Bill, I read it and an article on Mopar Muscle's website, before installing mine.

There have been a couple of topics on here about it before...here is one that's got a couple of pics.
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,11151.0.html

Jason

sanders7981

Quote from: b5blue on February 09, 2014, 07:51:17 AM
My 70 had 1 spring clip per side, up near the top. A hole was punched in the new side board for it. I had to use a thin bead of black 3M trim adhesive on just about all edges to hold fabric firmly. Put all screws in before starting install then cut to them after. I was very disappointed in my R.E.M. headliner insulation, too small and wimpy at best, if I had more time/money would have done something much better.   

That's no very promising.... Lol!  The panels are from REM, the headliner is from an eBay vendor that makes headliners (non-REM).  I noticed a small round hole cut into the board on the back near the top of the panel, it's about a 1/4 inch. Doesn't look like any of the spring type clips would fit in it though, and if it did, the clip will push against the covered side making a small ripple.

JAAK, thanks for the link.  I may have to improvise on this, or maybe just leave out the panel boards. There is enough material to run to the back and glue down with using the boards.  I'll have to get it in the interior and then take a look at the sail areas to figure out the best route. 

b5blue

The sailboards sit behind the fabric not attached to it in Bill's topic. The fabric gets glued to the edges at the map shelf so the clip is not seen.  :scratchchin: 

sanders7981

Quote from: b5blue on February 09, 2014, 06:01:34 PM
The sailboards sit behind the fabric not attached to it in Bill's topic. The fabric gets glued to the edges at the map shelf so the clip is not seen.  :scratchchin: 

Hmm... That is where I am at.   I can either tuck the sail fabric behind the panel board, or put the panel board in, then just glue the fabric to the front on the map shelf.   I can't really tell what kind of clip it is that hold the board down.  Any close up pics of it? 

b5blue

Sorry mine are in and hidden. You can use anything that will end up fairly flat.... :scratchchin:

HeavyFuel

The clip is a nail.

I used small screws to hold mine in, less chance of them coming loose.

Here are original pics of my panels.  Just put glue around the edges, brush it on if you can, more control.  Then put on the liner like the second pics, or as close as you can.  The lower edge of the liner will tuck underneath the package tray.

None of the liner actually 'tucks' behind the cardboard, the edges all get covered by trim or package tray.

b5blue

Yea that is not the same as my 70's.  :scratchchin:

sanders7981

Here's what I ended up doing.  Fat Mat sound deadener, covered with heating insulation like I did for the roof.  I will probably just pull the headliner tight and glue it to the metal lip where the board would lay against.  Then lay the package tray over the excess and call it a day. 

lexxman

I was wondering about those boards. Does anyone have a picture of the  retainer clips? I only have one clip, I think. I need to know what they look like.

sanders7981

I never saw an clips... There was a thread where someone improvised and used a nail, I imagine that you could use a screw as well. 

fy469rtse

Now that you have your head around that part, just forward of those boards is the rear pillar roof rods, these are curved and have unique clips to them like spark plug wire ends, these push into round holes
What I am getting at is you won't get the rear sections (c pillars ) right without these.

lexxman

I have all the bows and the clips they sit in,but I'm guessing there are small black '' U'' shaped clips that are used to hold the liner along the side Windows?

sanders7981

Quote from: lexxman on March 06, 2014, 10:41:52 AM
I have all the bows and the clips they sit in,but I'm guessing there are small black '' U'' shaped clips that are used to hold the liner along the side Windows?

Correct... There are 12 clips total, 6 for driver side and 6 for passenger side, that press on along the edge securing the headliner to the inner/outer roof seams.  If you don't find those, I bet you could use some smaller black paper clamps that you can find at any walmart.  The smallest ones are slightly larger then the original clips, but would still fit underneath the headliner trim.  Just put the on, then pull out the silver tabs. 

Referring to these clips here.  They come in multiple sizes, and the smallest is just under 1/2" in width.  Would work and serve the same purpose.