News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Original part numbers for Alternators used on SUPERBIRDS??

Started by Mopar John, February 08, 2014, 04:09:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mopar John

The alternator on my Superbird has part number 3438179 and a date code of 44 9. The parts book says that this is a 60amp alternator with a dual pulley. Does this match up with what others have or were several differant ones used?
Thanks! MJ

62 Max

John,
My bird has a single pulley as does most of what I've seen including Hemi birds. :shruggy:

FJ5WING

wingless now, but still around.

Mopar John

For those with broadcast sheets for their Superbirds the last 2 digits of the part number for the alternator should be on it somewhere?  What throws me off on mine is that it has a perfect date code for the Superbird build 44th week of 1969!
MJ

Mopar John

Here is a little more information on the broadcast sheet. On the third row from the top is the dark blue box for ALT it's in between the white box for INLET HOSE and the white box for the FAN. I have found a broadcast sheet on BING images for a 440 SIX PACK car like mine with a " 72 " in the ALT box. That would mean alternator 3438172 was used and it's a 37 AMP single pulley! I have 2 other broadcast sheets for 383 cars and the same " 72 " is in the ALT box. That must of been the standard on V 8"s ? If anyone has the time to look at there broadcast sheets to see what alternator their Superbird was built with I would appriciate it!
MJ

A383Wing

Quote from: FJ5WING on February 08, 2014, 04:45:05 PM
don't see any need for the double pulley.

and yet it's seen on a lot of cars at shows and on the web....unsure why they spend all the money to do these or any other car and put a dual pulley on when it's not used....

it's one of the first things I look at in an engine compartment picture on the web or at a show.....

Mopar John

I have been looking through this site and around page 7 there is an old ad for a HEMI bird for sale RM23R0A179800 and it has a broadcast sheet with a " 76 " in it. That means it's a 37 AMP dual pulley alternator! If you look at the pictures there is a dual pulley alternator on the car! So I have seen broadcast sheets for a "72" single pulley alternator and a "76" dual pulley alternator both 37 AMP?
MJ

FJ5WING

John,
I just looked at my BS for the SB  :icon_smile_big:  and found as you suspected the 72 code. as far as you current date coded alt I would guess it was replced early on when there weren't as many cores and WAG you got lucky on the date? It should be easier for you to get it restored with a pulley swap and not searching for a good date to,. Jim Ridge is the man for that job!
wingless now, but still around.

Mopar John

I agree with using Jim Ridge! I have used him several times with great results. Good communication and quick turn around! He has upped his game and includes a DVD of the testing. In my case it was an original 1969 starter rebuild.
Thanks! John

maxwellwedge

Quote from: Mopar John on February 08, 2014, 06:06:51 PM
Here is a little more information on the broadcast sheet. On the third row from the top is the dark blue box for ALT it's in between the white box for INLET HOSE and the white box for the FAN. I have found a broadcast sheet on BING images for a 440 SIX PACK car like mine with a " 72 " in the ALT box. That would mean alternator 3438172 was used and it's a 37 AMP single pulley! I have 2 other broadcast sheets for 383 cars and the same " 72 " is in the ALT box. That must of been the standard on V 8"s ? If anyone has the time to look at there broadcast sheets to see what alternator their Superbird was built with I would appriciate it!
MJ

Hi John - You want the 72 - which is the standard, single pulley alt found on these cars...and most other V8's except Hemi. The Hemi has a different stamped number and is made of gold and diamonds if you can find one   :lol:  

RealWing

My 440-6bbl auto bird has the 3438172 (37 amp) alternator and the 72 is coded on the BS. The single groove pulley has p/n 2444478 stamped on the front.
1970 Superbird 440-6bbl
1969 Barracuda 340 Formula S
1969 Barracuda convertible  6.1 L Hemi
2015 BMW K1600 GTL