News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

"I [blank] The Dukes of Hazzard!"

Started by sweetseventy, March 08, 2006, 07:59:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you love or hate the Dukes?

I hate Dukes of Hazzard!
61 (27.7%)
I love Dukes of Hazzard!
159 (72.3%)

Total Members Voted: 220

71440bee

I think the big difference between the Impala and the Charger is the Charger is way cooler! There is no caparison in the cars as well as the Satellite. The Satellite and the Impala may be nice cruisers to the right person but they don't have the same Muscle appeal. The Charger is cool with or without the show, 318, 383, 426 or 440 in it and the market would reflect that. Cudas are cool and the market reflects that also. I don't imagine that Nash show that had the Cuda in it drove up the prices on it dramatically. Those cars are through the roof even in 318 or 6cyl trim. All it really has done has opened the market to other individuals such as yourself that only like and purchase one because of the show. That's OK! Fortunately there is allot of Chargers to go around for most of us. :icon_smile_big:

HAZZARDJOHN

Quote from: 71440bee on March 10, 2006, 10:48:47 AM
I think the big difference between the Impala and the Charger is the Charger is way cooler!...

I am sure you were just giving me the needle! But that Impala was an awesome car. Being a mopar guy I understand your sentiment, But GM guys thought the other way. A better Comparison would be a Chevelle. A 70 Chevelle SS 454 is going to cost you as much as these Chargers are going for, But I still can Buy a buy a running driving 307 Malibu for about 10-15k. Which is comparible to a 318 charger. They both have the "cool" factor, but one of them has a Flooded market of child hood dreams. Like I sadi BJ and ebay are more guilty, but you can't disregard the shows impact, small or not. If it was just to own a B-body, I would be driving a satellite, I get the coolness facter and I don't have to spend 30 grand to get a decent one. I am willing to pay a premium to drive a charger becasue of the show. This will be the last mopar I ever rebuild. I might buy a decent one to start with, but I am so sick of spending 2 grand here or 2 grand there for a part becasue they aren't reproduced. I could Build that Impala out of a catolog if I had a frame and and engine. My charger is a never ending assault on my pocket book.

~HJ
My mechanic told me, "I couldn't fix your brakes, but don't worry I made your horn louder."

Ghoste

Quote from: 71440bee on March 10, 2006, 10:04:07 AM
I tell you I got really sick of non car people asking me if I was going to turn my 70 Charger into a Duke's of hazard car.

Man, I am SO with you on that!   That is one of the things I like the most about having a fastback Charger.  I got so sick of answering the door to people asking if I was selling the car and after being told know, they would immediately tell me I should paint it orange and put 01 on the door with a big flag on the roof.  A car enthusiast, or even a legit DOH enthusiast, can bend my ear all day but the putz's who were just killing time were wasting mine.

Mike DC

Yeah, I'm sorry that so many 2nd-gen owners get "General Lee" comments from people all the time. 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

With a 1970 car, at least now there's another example in pop culture to point to these days.  You can say: "No, the Duke boys had a 1969 model.  This is a 1970 model, like Vin Diesel's black musclecar from Fast & Furious." 

Even if you didn't like the F/F car, a lot of other people sure did.  The association can help remind people that there is room in the world for decent Chargers without rebel flags on them.

Khyron

There are Chargers without confederate flags!?!??!?!!?

WHERE??!??!?!?  :o

Before reading my posts please understand me by clicking
HERE, HERE, AND HERE.

71440bee

Well I got to say in bone stock no performance trim the Malibu does not hold a candle to the Charger. Maybe I am a bit biased on that but the Charger doesn't need any extra hood or stripe packages to make it look tough. You can't really say that with the Malibu. Sort of looks like a grampas car until you put an air-induction hood on it and a stripe package. Not trying to bash the GM products because I actually like a couple of them (Cutlass for one) but I think you are giving DOH way more credit than it deserves on making the 68-70 Charger popular and expensive. It doesn't matter which Mopar you own, it will take a bundle to restore it. Part of the fun of owning one is looking for that hard to get part for a long time and finally getting it for a reasonable price. You miss out on all that owning a GM car.
You know there was a time not that long ago before the new movie came out that you really didn't see to many GL's. Allot of them had been repainted. You had to sell them at a discount if it was painted that way and no one was really cloning them anymore. Now the movie comes out and it starts all over again. It will fade again unless god forbid they make a another one :rotz:. But I am glad you are having fun with it and getting to experience the Mopar thing. It's not for everyone. It's a way of life for allot of us though!  :icon_smile_cool:     

RAWPWR

does anyone know what the total of totaled 68 and 69 were from the show? How many from each year? The fun part for me was watch the 69 General become a 68 for a seen or two. Got my 68 in 1978 and used to defend my self when ask..oh is your car like the one on the DOH? yeah BUT mine is a 68 and DOES NOT HAVE A 01 ON THE DOOR! fun show never the less.
68 R/T Charger 440<br />00 Dakota

jaak

I liked the dukes ok, I love chargers and mopars. The dukes are entertaining for what iit is. what I don't like is GL clones, thats sorta childish, and I get sick of people saying, you painting your charger orange? But also to the oohhhh there killing chargers crowd.... thats a rediculous argument 300-400 cars 20 yrs ago...that dosen't make an impact on the hobby, all those cars and the new movie cars are pretty much shit to begin with. they could start the series back up wreck another 350 or so cars and it WOULD NOT affect the hobby.... Do I care, no, Its like Mickey Mantle's rookie card, if I had 5 in front of me and ripped  one up the other 4 raise in value. I don't think its fair to jump on the stuntguys/ dukefest people either, will I pay to see that...probably not, will I lose sleep because they totalled out a rust bucket, I say no to that too. Theres more cars sitting up rotting than jumping through the air, But theres nothing you can do about that either. So to sum this post and thread up, who cares, I don't.

Jason

Mike DC

The total used number, according to Warner Bros & the crew, is around 308-309. 

But one of the major suppliers got caught swapping VINs and selling cars back to WB that had been declared "totalled," so the real number is probably somewhat lower than that.  Hard to know.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In the first season they did all 13 episodes with only about 6 stunt/driving Chargers.

Once they switched to building the cars in-house (larger pushbars) in the winter of 1981-82, they only built about 70 Chargers from that point until the end of the show in 1985.  The 17 official survivors are from that bunch.

General_01

1971 Dodge Charger Super Bee
496 stroker
4-speed

jaak

Quote from: General_01 on March 10, 2006, 11:46:42 PM
Quote from: jaak on March 10, 2006, 06:39:27 PM
what I don't like is GL clones, thats sorta childish,

Jason

:nana:

Good One, General_01, lol. BTW I dig the 71 Bee, I've always wanted one.

Jason

genlee1970

Obviously, I voted "love" Dukes. Yes, beyond the first season or so, the scripts did get pridictable, but watching it today, you can see just how far television has denegrated over the last 20 years. It's almost refreshing to see something wholesome.
   A few points worth mentioning. I agree, statistically few Chargers, but mostly California Chargers, and painful none the less. I do agree about those rotting away in backyards, there's one the next town over that Chargervert and I have been keeping an eye on for years, nice 68 just rotting away. :rotz: A 307 Chevelle? Don't get me wrong, I can appreciate most any old (60's 70's) American iron, but there has been no better looking car, before or since, the second gen Charger, and most  staunch second gen fan I've talked to have echoed that sentiment (no offense 1st and 3rd gen fans) I believe DOH made me aware of the cars but I also feel I would have felt the same way regardless of the show. The second gens are like Shania Twain. They look good from any angle!!! As far as childish...that's a matter of opinoin....but let me say this, I get more attention in my car than any other car I've owned. I also take great pleasure seeing the smiles on peoples faces as I drive by. People offer to pay me to take thier kids for a ride or allow them to take a picture with the car. I never take the money. When you can pour your heart and soul into a project, strictly for your own enjoyment, and have it touch so many lives, it's absolutely priceless. I don't reget for a second, my decision to make my car a GL, and if ever the day comes that I want to go back to stock, it's only paint and decals!!

General_01

Quote from: jaak on March 10, 2006, 11:48:25 PM
Quote from: General_01 on March 10, 2006, 11:46:42 PM
Quote from: jaak on March 10, 2006, 06:39:27 PM
what I don't like is GL clones, thats sorta childish,

Jason

:nana:

Good One, General_01, lol. BTW I dig the 71 Bee, I've always wanted one.

Jason

Thanks. I've had the '71 since 1989 and the General since 2001.
1971 Dodge Charger Super Bee
496 stroker
4-speed

71charger_fan

So I can't be accused of leaving feedback and splitting, I must admit I hate the Dukes of Hazzard. My dad used to watch them every week and laugh his ass off. I never got it. I thought the writing was terrible and the acting even worse. I have, however, been subsidizing the Dukes franchise by buying the DVD sets for my dad as birthday and Christmas gifts. It kills me to do so, but he loves them and that's what matters.

Ghoste

Guilty as charged.  Or is it guilty by association?  Never mind.
I have been buying them too even though I don't like the show I am still one of those obsessed Charger freaks that will buy crap just because it has a Charger connection.  I even have a copy of "Bad Georgia Movie", er, I mean "Bad Georgia Road".

89dieselkong

I remember getting all the toys when I was a kid...watching the shows...and the one year, when I was younger I saw one of the General Lee's used in the show being huled off set in beautiful condition.  At the time I thought it was THE General Lee, come to find out they had several.  It still sticks out in my mind as one of the best times I can remember.  The show was great for the audience it was targeted for...and if you didn't like it, well I guess you weren't one of those people...IMHO    :icon_smile_big:
1972 Dodge Charger SE 318ci, 727 w/slapstick, 8 3/4 rear, all original including the spare...got her for $800 back in 93'  Loved her then...love her as much now!

1989 Dodge W250 Power Ram w/Cummins Turbo Diesel
2004 Dodge Durango with "the Hemi"

"Yeah...I guess I like Dodges"

DodgeChargerNeeded

People are complaining that they wrecked 300+ chargers in the show and maybe 50 more for the new movie and the reunion movies and dukefest jumps. So 350 chargers wrecked out of lets say 150,000 68-69 Chargers. Imagine how many were wrecked in the late 60's and early 70's out on the highway. Or lets say the motor blew up and someone hauled it to the junkyard. So why hate dukes of hazzard for wrecking a few cars. Who really cares.
Jeff

Ghoste

How many of the ones wrecked on the highway were televised internationally or charged admission to cheering audiences to witness the carnage?  Just curious.  Because I care.  :icon_smile_big:

TylerCharger69

Well...the only thing that I did like about the show was the General Lee, and Daisy's Road Runner..(ok...Daisy too)   which is why I have a replica General Lee.     What some "haters"  don't seem to realize is...is if it wasn't for Dukes of Hazzard,  a lot of Chargers would still be sitting in a barn, field, or wherever rotting away and I think that even though one may not like the General Lee paint scheme....at least the ones that are sitting for numerous years are being dragged out and resurrected....It's just paint and graphics!!!   Would you rather these cars just sit and rot away, or   would you rather be happy with the fact that somebody is putting forth the effort for these great American muscle cars to be put back on the road again, thus  preserving the muscle car era???   If that's what gives people the gumption to do this....then quit complaining  and be happy about it....it can always be stripped and painted later!!!      You don't like it...well   it isn't yours  and you don't have to look at it....You are either optimistic....or pessimistic.   Judging by this poll, however....it looks like the majority  does't mind the paint scheme anyway.       Think about it!!!

TylerCharger69

by the way...the last few seasons of DOH  used miniature General Lees ;).   You can check out that info at The North American General Lee Fan Club  on the internet

Ghoste

Quote from: TylerCharger69 on March 12, 2006, 10:39:01 PM
 What some "haters"  don't seem to realize is...is if it wasn't for Dukes of Hazzard,  a lot of Chargers would still be sitting in a barn, field, or wherever rotting away ....

I can realize it and respect it and even be grateful for it and still hate the show.  There are a couple of vegetables I don't particularly like either but I still eat them because I know they help me. :icon_smile_tongue:

HeavyFuel

The show is OK, not great, not terrible. 

The connection the public has with the GL and all other Chargers is what bothers me.  It almost never fails, when I have a conversation about my '68 with someone who dosn't know too much about cars, they always bring up the GL. 

I say "I have a Charger" and the first thing that pops into their heads is that Sunkist glowin', pushbar sportin', Vector scrapin' stock car wanna be.  I get kinda tired about answering questions about the General, when I don't have one, and I don't really like the car itself very much.

73dodge

Hate it, stupid show, dumb charachters except for daisey, destroyed too many chargers and spawned

HPLAG

for that

the DOH should never be aired again

Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms should be a convenience store NOT a government agency!

defiance

Yeah, I hate it, too.  I hate that it contributed in some small way to the glorification of 'southern culture'.  Some of us in this region don't particularly want to be uneducated hillbillies just a couple years away from tooflessness, spending our days looking at our cousin (the only hot chick within 50 miles), and thrashing a piece of automotive history.  What a life! :)

Plus, the show's kinda stupid anyway.

Chargers rock!  But that one's just plain ugly! :) 

Oh, and guys...  The confederate flag?  It stands for a country that DOES NOT EXIST!  It *LOST* the war, and contrary to what millions of those toofless degenerates mentioned earlier put all over their freakin bumpers, it is NOT going to rise again! :)

Sorry, just not much of a fan, I guess :P