News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Single stage more original?

Started by chargerrtmikey, February 07, 2014, 05:35:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chargerrtmikey

My 69 charger is finally headed to the paint booth! The Charger is a numbers matching R/T and I would like the paint to kinda match the original paint job. My paint guy says I should do a single stage  instead of base coat/ clear as he thinks it would be way to glossy and not look like it would back in 1969. Does this seem to be correct? The paint code is R6 also  the cost for the paint alone is 1200 bucks for single stage urethane does that sound correct?

bill440rt

Single stage acrylic enamel will look the most authentic because that's what they were painted with originally.
An upgrade would be a single stage urethane paint.
Above that is base/clear.

You did not mention what paint line or how much of the car he's painting (outside, underside, jambs?) so it's hard to determine cost. Red is sometimes difficult to cover so he may need more material.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

cdr

LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

cdr

LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

elitecustombody

What do you want your paint to look like? Do you want original appearance with a little hazy die-back,orangepeel and just random flaws like a sag or dirt speck here and there?Or deep wet slick as glass finish?

AMD-Auto Metal Direct  Distributor, email me for all your shetmetal needs

Stefan

chargerrtmikey

He is painting everything the body has been rebuilt and all apart and he is painting the doors, fenders, hood, trunk lid separate then the shell. Priced at 162.00 a quart RM brand.

bill440rt

He'll be using 2 gallons easy of the stuff, before reducers. The insides of these cars have lots of surface area, takes a lot of paint to do a whole shell inside & out.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

chargerrtmikey

Thanks Bill but why has automotive paint prices soared over the last few years?

JB400

Patronus

'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE

chargerrtmikey

The color is R6 red I think only used in 69 and 70.

Patronus

I would agree then with the single-stage. (only for the Original aspect)
You will be able to block sand and buff either to a gloss much shinier than what came on it. The closest to original would be SS unworked.
'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE

Dreamcar

My other project was finished in single stage, and to be honest, I loved the look. It looks deep, but less reflective. I'm serioulsy consdering finishing my charger in single stage. Let us know what you chose and post pics of the results.
"And another thing, when I gun the motor, I want people to think the world is coming to an end." - Homer Simpson

1969 Charger, 383, Q5/V1W, A35, H51, N88,  numbers match (under restoration)

Patronus

On solid, non metallics I prefer SS. I feel much more comfortable working it aggressively. People can't believe my car isn't clear coated.
'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE

chargerrtmikey

That's exactly what my paint guy said about solid colors and using base/clear on metallic.

AKcharger

I did my '70 in a single stage PPG Omni, then shot a coat of clear over it as well Looks great and it's lasted well for the past 11 years.

jaak

Quote from: Patronus on February 11, 2014, 02:22:00 PM
On solid, non metallics I prefer SS. I feel much more comfortable working it aggressively. People can't believe my car isn't clear coated.

Me too

Jason

Silver R/T

Just have your painter add a "flattener" to the clear coat and it will flatten out paint job(clear coat) to whatever you desire.
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722