News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

91 w150 318 cam help

Started by 91w150, February 05, 2014, 03:48:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

91w150

I have a 1991 dodge w150 and I want to put a new mild cam in it, but I realize with the throttle body injection it has that I can't just go strapping one in. I already had plans of putting a new edelbrock performer series 500 cfm in it and a new air intake. I was told if I was going to keep it tbi then I needed to find someone that could burn a chip for it and was wondering if anybody knew how I could find someone that could do that and if I needed anything to get ready for a cam. Just got painted and want more power and sound to show it off. Thanks!

chargerbr549

On the cam swap, one option is to have your cam reground to a different profile and reuse the hydraulic roller lifters and maybe go with longer pushrods? I don't know for sure what options are available on modifying your tbi set up but you can swap to a performer manifold and carb and ditch the tbi setup. I had a tbi 318 out of an 88 ramcharger that I used a factory 360 thermoquad and performer manifold on it in my 82 Mirada and it ran very well, it was the best running 318 that I ever had.

Cooter

That TBI set up is a speed density (map sensor) and relies on engine vacuum to meter fuel. Too big a cam and it will not run without loading up.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"