News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Polishing Auto Glass

Started by timmycharger, February 05, 2014, 10:09:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

timmycharger

Anyone try this themselves? My Back Glass has a lot of little scratches and some bigger ones that I want to try to polish out before looking for a new rear glass.  Ive seen the kits on line, but Im a little nervous about the process, are there specialty shops that provide this service? Im sure all of my glass needs polishing, but the rear is the worst.

bull

There's a place in my neck of the woods (Portland) that polishes glass but they aren't cheap. A member here who owns a body shop and sold a high-end restored 69 R/T at Barrett Jackson uses them and told me about them. They are much cheaper than new glass but not nearly as cheap as a polishing kit. I was quoted $500 for all the side glass, worst case scenario. I have scratches and hard water stains but nothing serious.

That said, I don't know if the kits are going to take the scratches out very well, emphasis on I don't know. I do know that if you can catch a nail on the scratch it's considered deep. I also know a few guys that have tried it only to work 15 hours on one piece, say to hell with it and take it to a professional. I've never tried it myself but I've kind of seen the writing on the wall with some of my attempts at polishing plastic headlight lenses.

Sorry, I guess I wrote a lot and really didn't say much but I guess it depends on your ability and history with these kinds of things. I can make things look pretty good but I also bever seem to be as happy with my own work as I am with someone who does it all day for a living.

Nacho-RT74

just began a thread about LOL... Cerium oxide
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html