News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Oil?

Started by Troy, February 02, 2014, 02:21:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Troy

Was at the parts store roaming around today and noticed that regular oil and full synthetic are nearly the same price. Interestingly enough, so is recycled. Anyone else remember when synthetic cost more than double? It was hard to justify using it if you weren't required to.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

lukedukem

I thought it still did. And recycled is the same?  :shruggy:  wow :o
Why would you buy recycled though if cost the same to conserve oil I guess.  :shruggy:
Gonna have to check that out next time I'm at parts store.

Luke
1969 Charger XP29F9B226768
1981 CJ7 I6 258ci
2016 F150, 5.0, FX4, CC

1974dodgecharger

maybe because the regular dino stuff is so cheap now to manufacture they make money off the bat no matter what so they figure meh lets put the price to same on synthetic.....

When I hit walmart I look at the oil section, dont know why I just do it, and see they have supertech oil for like 3.50qt and I guess alot broscience people will ya that supertech is up there with mobile 1 if not better with better price than 4.00qt for M1.

NHCharger

Just bought oil for my wife's Honda which takes 0w-20 synthetic. Was almost twice the price of the Valvoline 10w-30 I buy for the other vehicles  :shruggy: :shruggy: Wonder if it's a mid-west thing??
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone
79 Lil Red Express - future money pit
88 Ramcharger 4x4- current money pit
55 Dodge Royal 2 door - wife's money pit
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

lukedukem

Quote from: NHCharger on February 02, 2014, 09:27:17 PM
Just bought oil for my wife's Honda which takes 0w-20 synthetic. Was almost twice the price of the Valvoline 10w-30 I buy for the other vehicles  :shruggy: :shruggy: Wonder if it's a mid-west thing??

Nope. It's like that down here in south texas too. My carpools Honda is the same oil and it's high dollar too

Luke
1969 Charger XP29F9B226768
1981 CJ7 I6 258ci
2016 F150, 5.0, FX4, CC

1974dodgecharger

Quote from: NHCharger on February 02, 2014, 09:27:17 PM

conspiracy?  All the oils that the manufactures require (cars sold in abundance) will require a specfici oil weight and viola those oils weights go up in price vs the other ones.  Maybe?

How many cars off the lot require 10w-40 or 50 etc...alot of them now all of a sudden require a zero weight 0-20 or so.

JB400

I found out that oil is cheaper at a convenience store than it is at the auto parts store.  That's the name brand oil, not the generic stuff.  Usually, it's the other way around.

69rtse4spd

Had the Mopar parts man tell me it's all about M.P.G., why the run the o stuff.

Troy

So, for comparison's sake, I was at O'Reilly and I looked at Castrol GTX, Valvoline, Pennzoil and Mobil 1. The first three were $25.99 for the 5 quart jug and Mobil 1 was on sale for the same price - although it was normally $29.99 (less than $1 per quart difference). The recycled oil was on sale (closeout I believe) for $15.99 but normal price was $25.99. I forgot to check the quart price on the Mobil 1 but the others were $5.95 - which is about $2 more per quart than what I spent on some VR-1 full synthetic racing oil last summer (it was on sale of course since the normal price is $8 or $9).

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

odcics2

MOST important, and I can't stress that enough, is to use oil that has the correct MS number on the back as specified in your owners manual. (for your daily drivers) 

Different manufacturers have different MS specs!   Very important because that's the oil the engine was certified to use.

Same with filters.   MoPar filters, for example, are made by WIX and Purolator to Chrysler specs, which are higher than the "off the shelve" filters.   
I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?