News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

superbird fender tag question?

Started by DoubleDlover, February 02, 2014, 02:46:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DoubleDlover

ok. Some of you nice folk in here might be able to help me figure out the missing digits on my tag. The gate number. The very upper left corner of my tag is rotted off. The last 3 numbers are there. But the first 2 you cant make out. Its to damaged.  So its ??110.. That second digit I can see the top of the number. Its either a 2,3,8,9, or zero.. Because the top of what ever number it was is round like those number. So How would we figure this out? thanks r

69CoronetRT

Quote from: DoubleDlover on February 02, 2014, 02:46:13 AM
ok. Some of you nice folk in here might be able to help me figure out the missing digits on my tag. The gate number. The very upper left corner of my tag is rotted off. The last 3 numbers are there. But the first 2 you cant make out. Its to damaged.  So its ??110.. That second digit I can see the top of the number. Its either a 2,3,8,9, or zero.. Because the top of what ever number it was is round like those number. So How would we figure this out? thanks r

It might be easier if you post a picture of the tag. that accomplishes a couple of things.
Seeking information on '69 St. Louis plant VINs, SPDs and VONs. Buld sheets and tag pictures appreciated. Over 3,000 on file thanks to people like you.

4cruzin

I agree . . . . a good picture!   :popcrn:
Tomorrow is promised to NOBODY . . . .

62 Max

Should look like this,

Redbird

Ron,

First off I would suggest reading David Patik's article on building a Superbird. I believe it is available on the WW web site or at Performance car Graphics.

So the Gate was a big machine for assembling the main body panels together while they were aligned and welded together. I have not seen every Superbird, but I have seen a few hundred tags. Most Superbirds that I have seen have a gate of 05, 15, or 29. I have also seen other numbers. So without the whole tag I believe you are guessing. My guess is that your car was a 29 if it is as you describe. The gate number designated for the C/P factory which machine was used, a kind of internal accounting for them to keep track of the machine.

So can one just make up the gate number, the sequence number, or J number?

Best to put the partial tag you have back on the fender.

FJ5WING

wingless now, but still around.

62 Max

Dave Kanofsky

Does looking at it from the backside help any?
"God sent his Son into the world not to judge the world, but to save the world through him." John 3:17, NLT

Racers For Christ Chaplain (www.teamrfc.org)

DoubleDlover

not really. Its completely rusted out. So theres nothing there. :(

Redbird

There is a good description of "Gate" and "Sequence" numbers in the archives of maxwedge.com. There is also a picture of a "sidegate".

I have several DVD's of old mopar TV commercials. There is a 1972 Plymouth Cricket commercial with Arthur Godfrey (sic) showing the Plymouth Cricket being welded together, yes I know the Cricket was not made in Detroit. Interesting items on the commercial, if one slows it down, show the car being welded together, the roof being put on, and finally the "sidegates" moving away from the completed body shell. I don't know if the commercial is on utube, but it really shows how the car's structure was framed.