News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Remote mirror question

Started by chargd72, February 02, 2014, 01:31:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chargd72

So I pulled the three wires through the backing plate that attaches to the driver's side mirror. Question is, how do you lock the wires in place so they don't just pull back through the mirror backing plate? I hope that made sense...

'72 Charger SE 4bbl 318                          '76 Power Wagon 400 W200                                 2011 (attempt at a) Charger

Ghoste

It didn't to me but I'm not that bright.  I know the control wires you're speaking of but I'm not clear on what is going wrong.

chargd72

I'll get a picture of it tonight. I'm bad at explaining.

'72 Charger SE 4bbl 318                          '76 Power Wagon 400 W200                                 2011 (attempt at a) Charger

chargd72

Here's the pic to help explain.  I have the three wires coming thru the backing plate that mounts the mirror.  The black electrical tape is wrapped around the 3 remote wires to keep them from backing out.  The question is, what is the correct way to keep them from backing out?

fy469rtse

did you see how they were attached before, ? were the soldered , welded , screw attached,

chargd72

Unfortunately not. The car was in pieces when I bought it. I tried welding on a very low voltage and still blew through it. I was thinking solder too but wanted to hear the correct way first.

Ghoste

Now I see what you mean, unfortunately I don't know either.  The soldering seems like the right suggestion but you definitely want to know for sure, it isn't something you want to have to redo later.

chargd72

Ok, looks like soldering it is.   :2thumbs:

DodgeR/T

they used a small steel ferule that was crimped on the end of the cable. looks kind of like the body of a very small pop rivit. if you can find some very small ( smaller than an 1/8 ) steel pop rivits 3/32 short grip lenth that would probably work if you crimp it and put some 24hr. jb weld also. i can post a picture of the factory crimps if you haven`t already fixed it. just remember that it will take a beating from driving and closing the door if the solder doesn`t stick.

chargd72

Thanks for the reply.  I already used 45% silver solder on it this weekend.  Seems to have put a pretty good grab on the wire.  I'm thinking it will hold up.

Ghoste

Maybe some JB Weld as mentioned too?

Dino

Scratch the plate and add some 2 part epoxy to it.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Ghoste

JB Weld is two part epoxy is it not?

Dino

Quote from: Ghoste on February 11, 2014, 11:12:52 AM
JB Weld is two part epoxy is it not?

It is?  I have no idea, never used it.   :shruggy:
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

tsmithae

Yes, it is an epoxy, real easy to use and generally works great if applied properly.
Check out my full thread and progress here.

http://www.1970chargerregistry.com/mboard/index.php?topic=119.0

Ghoste

Its a two part as well, correct?

tsmithae

Check out my full thread and progress here.

http://www.1970chargerregistry.com/mboard/index.php?topic=119.0