News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

You guys keep track?

Started by MoparMotel, January 31, 2014, 11:43:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MoparMotel

Posting in the other tread about other chargers are junk below it got me thinking, do you guys keep track of what you spend on your charger? I have a file folder in my desk in my office with all the reciepts from when we restored my car from Dec 08-Dec 09 when done. I have probably 50 invoices just from year one, not to mention Legendary Interior, Redline Gauge works from cluster and bezels being restored, AM radio restored, Wheel vintiques for new Magnum 500's, Dual exhaust with H pipe, Engine & Transmission rebuild, invoices from Summit for cam, Aluminum Holley 770 carb msd ignition etc. Caps powdercoating from Intake & Exhaust manifolds being jet hot coated.

Have you kept and added everything up?

I haven't sat down and added everything up, afraid I might puke  :puke: LOL. I would assume somewhere around $30,000, that's not including cost of car.

have you kept everything? ever gotten curious and added it up?

1968 Dodge Charger

1974dodgecharger

No I'm scared to do so.......

stripedelete

I have the same folder.    I put invoices in it, but, I will not open it.    :eek2:

twodko

I have kept every receipt on the car for its history binder. I tallied the price of my addiction and still do to this day.
I started with a car that was a 7 on a scale of 10 in terms of overall condition.
Including what I bought the car for and it's resto costs I have $55k into it. These cars we have aren't just muscle cars they are investments.
I have mine insured, agreed upon value, for $55k. I hope its worth more than that......it is to me anyway.

This is crazy s**t we do.
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

don duick

yes had a long sheet of paper hanging on the wall. every time I bought something for the car regardless of how small the cost I would add it on and have a running tally and would know exactly what I spent at any point in time my car  owed me $27,856.50 at point of completion. The initial purchase price was $17,500. Been driving it around for 2 years now without doing much to it but now anything I spend I don't keep track anymore.

dual fours

I throw nothing worth while away, I do not want to know what I have spent, just keep stuffing the receipts in a box. :eek2:
I have many box's, and many hobbies, (yes I keep telling myself there all an investment).
I can look back and see what things cost for the Charger from April 21,1977 up to when ever.
At least I can see and show what I spent $$$ on, so when I go to the Poor House I can say "Hey see what I have. I'd like a small room with a large garage please." :smilielol:

1970 Dodge Charger SE, 383 Magnum, dual fours, Winter's shifter and racing transmission.

26 END
J25 L31 M21 M31 N85 R22
VX1 AO1 A31 A47 C16 C55
FK5 CRXA TX9 A15
E63 D32 XP29 NOG

RallyeMike

I keep a general tally on cars that I intend to move soon. The ones that are intended to be keepers or have already been around for 20 years, nope. There is a certain point when you have had a car along time that it's difficult to separate investment cost vs. upgrade costs, vs. maintenance costs.   
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

Mopar Nut

Yes, afraid to add it up though.

Beautiful 68 Charger.
"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

xoman60

Yup, I've had my car a little over a month now and I have already started a file.

myk

I don't know, I don't want to know.  It's not the actual amount that bothers me, rather the thousands that were spent in futility with bad engine and 'trans rebuilds, along with damage that had to be professionally repaired after "I" tried to "do something" to the car in the effort to make it better.  Then again, I've convinced myself that this is the price I pay to play in this arena...

fy469rtse

If you worry about spending more than its worth it will stay junk, most us of do this as its our hobby, I keep my receipts
But only for warranty on those parts , ? Don't get me wrong I don't have the money to spend on it at the moment and all my cars pay for the next one, but there usually long thought out and planned, searching for parts at my prices, what and when I can afford to, have had my 70 RT for over ten years and been sourcing parts missing stuff over that time all the while working on others,

Baldwinvette77

i have everything added up on my computer, even gasoline i used to drive to places to pick up parts for it, i was at about $11500 including the car and shipping charges... then i stopped caring. 10k was going to be my limit, but a bigblock and a t-56 shot that all to hell, if i went with a smallblock a automatic like i originally planned, im sure it would be cheaper.... but less fun  :coolgleamA:

Cooter

I used to. I keep it in my head as a guesstimate. I do not wanna depress myself by knowing every penny.
the minute you start that, you might as well hang it up.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Dino

I have stuffed a few receipts in my folder but don't add them up no.  I keep them in case I need parts in the future.  Once I have had a good experience with a company, I try to shop there again.

I also have not dumped a lot of money in this car.  Most of what I buy are smaller parts such as power options.  The wheels and tires were my one big(ger) expense so far.

Like Mike said, if you plan on selling it then it's good to know what was invested but if it's a keeper then it's like family and there is no need to keep track.  I buy what I want or what I need.  If the expense is over $500 then I'll talk to my wife as she knows our bank account a bit better than I do and she keeps track of our other large expenses so we don't have one of those uh-oh moments.   :icon_smile_big:

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Ghoste

I keep them, but I never go in and look at it.  It is what it is and I only have them in case the next owner is into that kind of thing.  (well that and I'm a tad obsessive)

bakerhillpins

Do I keep some receipts? Yes, some, but as a general rule no. As someone else said it's about the warranty rather than the cost. This is pure hobby/fun/relaxation/entertainment for me. It's what I want to do in my free time. I don't keep receipts from all the alpine skis and lift tickets I have bought over the years or all the movies I have gone to see for the same reasons.

If it was a business then that's a different story but it isn't. As long as my budget can support the purchases I make I am sure as heck going to get as much enjoyment out of it as I can.  :2thumbs:
One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

myk

Quote from: Dino on February 01, 2014, 07:58:49 AM
I have stuffed a few receipts in my folder but don't add them up no.  I keep them in case I need parts in the future.  Once I have had a good experience with a company, I try to shop there again.

I also have not dumped a lot of money in this car.  Most of what I buy are smaller parts such as power options.  The wheels and tires were my one big(ger) expense so far.

Like Mike said, if you plan on selling it then it's good to know what was invested but if it's a keeper then it's like family and there is no need to keep track.  I buy what I want or what I need.  If the expense is over $500 then I'll talk to my wife as she knows our bank account a bit better than I do and she keeps track of our other large expenses so we don't have one of those uh-oh moments.   :icon_smile_big:

Yes, the Charger is family; there's no price-tag on family IMO...

bakerhillpins

Quote from: Dino on February 01, 2014, 07:58:49 AM

LOL, that's my problem. I never want to sell any of this crap off.  :brickwall:
One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

BrianShaughnessy

I started to keep a folder on Black Betty years ago and then I gave up because I didn't want to get depressed.    Same deal with Sinnamon now.

I have mental notes of this or that expense and that's depressing enough.    Each small project is a separate issue.   I work on small stuff while Speedo worries about the paint and body.  

This months headache is the AC / heater box.  Paid $219 to have the radiator shop check out both cores... I figured if they tested good I was ahead of the game.  charged $30 to say the heater core was junk and $175 to weld up some spots on the AC core.    So I still have to buy a $260 heater core and I could have bought a new AC core for $100 more than what he charged me to 'fix' the old one.  

:brickwall:
Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

HeavyFuel

Quote from: myk on February 01, 2014, 04:43:03 AM
It's not the actual amount that bothers me, rather the thousands that were spent in futility....

Yep, those are some of the costs that hurt the most.   The re-do's.  Or the parts you buy and never use for some reason, and can't return.  

It's hard enough to scrap together the bread for these cars, and when it goes to waste......   :icon_smile_dissapprove:

bull

I have kept probably 90% of my receipts and if I ever want to feel depressed I will.add them up.

kokxville

1969 Charger R/T 4 speed A33 Track Pack.
1967 Dodge a108 360 Magnum. Daily driver
1969 Dodge Charger"the car you can take your kids in to school on a friday,go shopping on a saturday,dragrace on a sunday and go to work on monday"

69bronzeT5

I have an accordion file with all the receipts for all of mine and my fiance's vehicles. I'm into my Charger for about $3,000....including the cost of the car. Would be A LOT more if we didn't buy the car in 1998 for pennies and most of the parts in the early 2000's. I can't imagine what that stuff would go for nowadays...
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

4cruzin

I did at one time but it really didn't make sense and I got to the point that I didn't care anymore.  This is my passion and who cares how much I spend on my cars.  I have no kids and I'm almost 50 now so . . . .  :shruggy:
Tomorrow is promised to NOBODY . . . .

Homerr

The '69 I build in 1992-3 breaks down as follows:

$3500  XP29H9B 383-4v car bought in 1992 when market was high
$4500  paint, bodywork, shop space
$2500  motor (started as a $500 backayrd job)
$750    trans
$2000  suspension/brakes
$3750  interior, trim, misc
==========
$17,000 total

Sold in 1995 for $10,500 when market was down, barely had interest in the car then.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,91842.0.html