News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Help- how do the rear tensioners mount?

Started by fozz71, January 19, 2014, 04:36:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fozz71

I am doing my headliner myself (yes- brave or stupid) and only have 1 tensioner left- what and how do they attach? My last one is a loop- but it would make better sense if they hooked to the rear and largest bow. Can someone help?

Thanks,
Jim

b5blue

You install from the rear forward. There are 2 rods that hook the rear bow in place. (That's why.) So you should start rear bow with rods. Here:
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,31212.0.html
Watch this, it's 2 parts:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1j8QbkHLZc&list=ULKJU6m1ZkwQg

fozz71

Hey thanks- loved the images- very, very helpful!

Question: I ran into a snag, I only have 5 of the six bows and my 2nd from the front is gone and so are both clips. When I check the side holes in the rood- the holes are so clean and scuff free- it doesn't appear that my '68 ever had a 2nd bow from the front...could that be? Can I stretch the top and leave out the 2nd bow from the front....I am excited to get started on this and ordering the clips would set me back a few weeks.

What do guys think- could '68s only have 5 main bows on top?

Thanks,
Jim

remta1

Quote from: fozz71 on January 19, 2014, 11:39:05 PM
Hey thanks- loved the images- very, very helpful!

Question: I ran into a snag, I only have 5 of the six bows and my 2nd from the front is gone and so are both clips. When I check the side holes in the rood- the holes are so clean and scuff free- it doesn't appear that my '68 ever had a 2nd bow from the front...could that be? Can I stretch the top and leave out the 2nd bow from the front....I am excited to get started on this and ordering the clips would set me back a few weeks.

What do guys think- could '68s only have 5 main bows on top?

Thanks,
Jim
if it has six take the time to get the correct parts , I get excited too about installing it but if you rush and take shortcuts guaranteed you will regret it  :Twocents:

fozz71

Yea, that's what I was fearing- I guess I have to hunt around for more clips for my missing bow. I have a bow but those pocket clips are hard to come by.

Thanks,
Jim

b5blue

fozz71

You guys are great- actually I stared at one for a bit and then made two out of some spare sheet metal I had lying around. Just used tin-snips and a little bending with needle-nose pliers and voila! Two headliner bow clips for free- they were rather easy to make. They aren't perfect and they don't look near as nice as Chrysler products but under a headliner who really sees them anyway.

Thanks for the offer!
Jim

b5blue

fozz71

I accidentally bought a bag of 10 or so, if anyone needs some- I am willing to sell cheap. Contact me.

Thanks,
Jim

b5blue

sanders7981

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,106587.msg1290200.html#msg1290200

See my thread about missing bows... I went to lowes  and bought some 1/4 inch steel rod and made two front bows that were the same measurements.  Just took my time bending the rods and checking fitment/curvature with the roof and they came out fine.  Measure twice, cut once...unless you have a welding machine.  I think I spent about $15 bucks total.