News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

upper door pad removal

Started by maidenoz, March 28, 2014, 08:10:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

maidenoz

Hello.  I was wondering what was the best way to remove the upper door pads on a 69 charger?  I know they are held in by clips but do the felt strips connect to the front pads like they do on the rears? I have removed the rears before, and my driver side front has been off, but the window felt is not connected to the pad as it is on the rears.  Not sure if its supposed to be that way or if that's why that pad never stays put.....  also don't want to damage the passenger side pad.  Any input greatly appreciated!

green69rt

Quote from: maidenoz on March 28, 2014, 08:10:49 PM
Hello.  I was wondering what was the best way to remove the upper door pads on a 69 charger?  I know they are held in by clips but do the felt strips connect to the front pads like they do on the rears? I have removed the rears before, and my driver side front has been off, but the window felt is not connected to the pad as it is on the rears.  Not sure if its supposed to be that way or if that's why that pad never stays put.....  also don't want to damage the passenger side pad.  Any input greatly appreciated!

I think the front upper panels come off after you take the lower door pads off.  Then you'll see the screws that hold the upper on.  the top just pops off.  Right guys?? 

Oh, don't forget to remove the door lock button.

bill440rt

No need to remove the lower door panels to get the upper pad off. Just unscrew the door lock button. Lowering the door glass also helps.
The windowfelt is attached to the upper part of the door itself, not the pad. The pad should stay put if you have the correct clips and they are oriented the right way.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

Lord Warlock

agree with bill, the top pads are not connected to lower pads, the chrome trim actually provides a groove for the lowers to fit into but do not bolt on to the tops.  If you have a remote mirror, you'll want to remove the screw retainer on it first, and you'll want to roll the window down, and remove the door lock  knob.  There are 5 or 6 spring retainer clips that hold the upper panel on.  Pop it loose, then work the front away from the vent window handle which may try to dig into the upper pad when removing it. 
69 RT/SE Y3 cream yellow w/tan vinyl top and black r/t stripe. non matching 440/375, 3:23, Column shift auto w/buddy seat, tan interior, am/fm w/fr to back fade, Now wears 17" magnum 500 rims and Nitto tires. Fresh repaint, new interior, new wheels and tires.

maidenoz

Thanks! One more question.  How do the weatherstrips come off? The ones that sit just above the pad? 

Thanks again.

maidenoz

I'm talking about the felts that sit atop the door pad.  On my rears they were connected to the door pads.

Thanks again

bill440rt

The windowfelts are just clipped onto the door itself. There are little "tabs" on the back of the windowfelt molding that clip downward into slots on the door. You can usually release them by carefully prying with a flat screwdriver.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

Lord Warlock

Yep, the rear felts are stapled in place, the fronts are held on by clips.  The new ones go on pretty easy.  I'm doing my rear felts this weekend, have to get a staple gun or short staples, don't think trim adhesive will work on those. 
69 RT/SE Y3 cream yellow w/tan vinyl top and black r/t stripe. non matching 440/375, 3:23, Column shift auto w/buddy seat, tan interior, am/fm w/fr to back fade, Now wears 17" magnum 500 rims and Nitto tires. Fresh repaint, new interior, new wheels and tires.

maidenoz