News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Tires

Started by xs29bb1, January 31, 2014, 11:38:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

xs29bb1

I'm thinking of going with 235s up front and 275s in the rear.  If I do that, I'm probably going to use Diamond Back as they take modern radials and put the redlines on them.

Question is, how badly do you get dinged at shows for having 275s on the rear?  I mean it's not just that they're radials, but the look of the 275s.  Is that a big problem?

My other option is going w/ 235s all the way around as I really don't want to get two sets of tires. 

Any thoughts?

Homerr

What gearset are you running and is it Sure-Grip?  I had 235's, 3.23 Sure-Grip, and a mild 383/727 and it wouldn't really get out of line.  If your build and/or driving is more aggressive you might need more tire.  But if it's mostly a cruiser and you are going more for a stock look I think 235's are fine.

bill440rt

Depends on the show you are attending or judging involved. Most local shows I attend people don't care one way or the other.

I put 255's redlines from Diamondback on 15x7 Magnums all around on my '68. Have a set of Centerlines with big-n-little 235/295's when the mood strikes.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

myk

Exactly-what sort of show is this?  If it's one those "factory air in the spare tire" shows then don't do it; for the other shows with normal people in it feel free to do as you see fit...

xs29bb1

The car is going to be done just in time for the Spring Fling show in the LA area in April -- my understanding is it's not going to be a problem there.  It's other shows where I'm not sure.

Whether I go 235s (or 255s) all around or I go w/ 275s on the rear - no matter what I'd get dinged for having radials.  So I guess the question is - do you get dinged MORE for having something like 275s on the rear than you would if you just had say 235 radials all the way around?  Is it - just a ding for radials, or do they say "oh hell, you've got wide tires in the back, that's extra points off on top of having radials"

The car has a 3.23 sure grip w/ a 440/727.  It's got about 410 horse, but 520 ft-lb of torque.  I'd hate to have to go get a 2nd set of tires for shows....

xs29bb1

Quote from: bill440rt on January 31, 2014, 11:52:15 AM
I put 255's redlines from Diamondback on 15x7 Magnums all around on my '68. Have a set of Centerlines with big-n-little 235/295's when the mood strikes.

Which DB tires did you end up getting?  I would want to get something w/ decent performance, but not sticky to the point where I'm going to kick rocks up into my paint.  

...also, someone told me not to put anything wider than 235s on the front, clearly you don't have an issue w/ 255s up there.  Maybe I should go 255s all the way around as it wil look closer to stock
w/ equal size tires all the way around, but still have enough meat in the back.  Is there any drawback to having 255s up front?

Dino

Quote from: myk on January 31, 2014, 11:56:22 AM
Exactly-what sort of show is this?  If it's one those "factory air in the spare tire" shows then don't do it; for the other shows with normal people in it feel free to do as you see fit...

:smilielol:

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

bill440rt

Quote from: xs29bb1 on January 31, 2014, 12:07:28 PM
Quote from: bill440rt on January 31, 2014, 11:52:15 AM

Which DB tires did you end up getting?  I would want to get something w/ decent performance, but not sticky to the point where I'm going to kick rocks up into my paint. 

I got the LS5's, which are based on Coopers. The only other tire they offered at the time in a 255 was based on the BFG Radial T/A, which I have for my other set and I did not want the same tires. I wasn't crazy how they looked as a redline, anyway. Very happy with the LS5/Coopers. They seem stickier than the BFG's, which are fairly hard to begin with.

Unless you are going under OE or some kind of show with special judging I don't see how it would matter. Most shows anyway have a pretty broad selection of classes you can enter if you have big-n-littles on the car or stock tires.

BTW, every person I've met at these "factory air in the spare tire" shows were fairly level headed people. They're just doing what makes them happy, too.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

xs29bb1

Thanks Bill -

My build is essentially straight stock minus the tires and the carb.  I know some shows allow you to enter the stock class w/ a couple exceptions - I just wanted to make sure I wasn't doing anything (like going w/ big-n-littles) that was considered "out of line". 

I'll look into the LS5's at DB - thanks again

HeavyFuel

Quote from: Dino on January 31, 2014, 12:07:44 PM
Quote from: myk on January 31, 2014, 11:56:22 AM
Exactly-what sort of show is this?  If it's one those "factory air in the spare tire" shows then don't do it; for the other shows with normal people in it feel free to do as you see fit...

:smilielol:

I've got one of those spares!    :lol:

My wife may have a point.   :scratchchin:    Not normal.  :cheers: