News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Radiator Help

Started by Matthan, February 10, 2014, 04:32:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matthan

I replaced my old leaky Radiator in my 69 Charger. Now I have a fluid leak at the firewall.....the hose came off and it look clogged with rust ...take at the look at the pic...what is this hose and what do I need to do to fix it?

myk

That assembly feeds your heater core inside of your dash.  For a temporary fix you can bypass the heater core (if you don't need the heater or it doesn't work anyway) by cutting off both of those hoses that go IN to the firewall, and then splicing them together...

Matthan

Since it is clogged with rust does that mean the heater core is bad?

RECHRGD

Quote from: Matthan on February 10, 2014, 07:43:12 PM
Since it is clogged with rust does that mean the heater core is bad?

That would be a given, in my opinion.
13.53 @ 105.32

myk

Yes that's probably the case.  You can TRY to flush it out with a parts-store cooling system flusher, but I'd be concerned that the water you pump into the heater core would just blow into the cabin of your car; heater cores, like radiators, tend to develop leaks over time.  I'd just bypass the heater core, to keep the car road-worthy, and look to replacing the heater core someday...

Matthan

do they make a replacement  assembly for that?

bill440rt

Is the end of that tube rotted off?? If so, you're looking at a replacement valve.
I don't recall ever seeing aftermarket parts store replacements, so unless someone else knows something different it's either used or NOS. And, no shocker here but the NOS ones are pricey. 
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

4cruzin

They sell repro heater cores . . . .  :cheers:  Put one in my ebody last year . . .
Tomorrow is promised to NOBODY . . . .

bill440rt

Heater cores, yes.
But that photo is showing the valve. A/C cars only to boot.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

PlainfieldCharger

The part of the valve that is no good comes off of the assembly and can be replaced buy another piece from a "parts valve" I just saw one on e pay 75.00 ,but I can't seem to find it now. Should be able to use the brass part of the valve from 68-70. Just have to bend the tabs on the back only enough to remove it..rebuild it while you at it...kits are available :Twocents: