News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Fresh air vents

Started by twodko, January 30, 2014, 06:30:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

twodko

Where exactly are the fresh air vent openings in the firewall under the dash in a 69?
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

A383Wing

ac car or not?

all have fresh air vent on drivers side.....not sure if I really understand what you mean by "Fresh air vents"?

Ghoste

Way up high, the air is coming in from the cowl plenum.

green69rt

Quote from: Ghoste on January 30, 2014, 07:49:30 PM
Way up high, the air is coming in from the cowl plenum.

Yes, they don't come thru the firewall.  Here's what the inside of the cowl looks like.

twodko

Pardon...non AC car. I knew the passenger side came through the plenum but was not so sure if the drivers side did too.
Weird thingy going on with my car. I have outside air blowing in on the passenger side but not on the drivers side. Passenger side vent cable has not effect. Driver side only when the vent cable is pulled out.
It would appear I have the vent cable and heat/defrost cable connected bass-ackwards. Sound about right?

Ghoste

I'm not understanding clearly.  When you pull out the cable on the drivers side you have airflow through it?  Thats normal.  On the passenger side you have airflow whether the cable is pulled or not?  If I'm reading correctly then yes, that could be a possibility.  It does sound like the passenger side is certainly unhooked from the vent control.

A383Wing

you can look though the egg-crate grill on the passenger side and move the cable for it..does it move with cable?

I had my foam seal come apart on mine and even with cable pushed in, there was air flow through the passenger side

I doubt you could mix up the cables....the passenger vent cable wold not reach the heater controls

twodko

Quote from: Ghoste on January 31, 2014, 03:11:51 PM
I'm not understanding clearly.  When you pull out the cable on the drivers side you have airflow through it?  Thats normal.  On the passenger side you have airflow whether the cable is pulled or not?  If I'm reading correctly then yes, that could be a possibility.  It does sound like the passenger side is certainly unhooked from the vent control.
[/quote

This is precisely whats happening and the conditions present Ghoste.

"you can look though the egg-crate grill on the passenger side and move the cable for it..does it move with cable?
I had my foam seal come apart on mine and even with cable pushed in, there was air flow through the passenger side
I doubt you could mix up the cables....the passenger vent cable wold not reach the heater controls"

Nope, doesn't move at all. I was incorrect earlier, its the "heat mix" control that partially closes the passenger vent flap not the heat/defrost selector.
I was just down to the shop I trust and indeed it appears I swapped cable connections when I reinstalled the heater box. You're correct about the third cable because it won't reach that far.
My back is just not up to contorting myself to physically work this fix so they'll get this straightened out as well as a HL switch issue on Wednesday. I'll post up the results of all this when its finished.
I really appreciate your input guys.

Tom

A383Wing

ok...gotcha.,...."heater-mix cable" got put on the passenger vent lever.....yea, I guess that would be the answer then....should be able to remove glove box liner and swap cables to proper location

green69rt

Quote from: twodko on January 31, 2014, 01:34:53 PM
Pardon...non AC car. I knew the passenger side came through the plenum but was not so sure if the drivers side did too.
Weird thingy going on with my car. I have outside air blowing in on the passenger side but not on the drivers side. Passenger side vent cable has not effect. Driver side only when the vent cable is pulled out.
It would appear I have the vent cable and heat/defrost cable connected bass-ackwards. Sound about right?

The pic doesn't show it to well but the driver side is a mirror image of the pass side under the cowl.

And yes the driver side vent cable only opens the driver side vent to the cowl plenum to let fresh air in, that's all it does.

twodko

twodko

I did indeed install the passenger side vent and heat mix cables backwards when I reassembled the car. No more wind tunnel effect in the cabin!

My HL are also working properly. The problem there turned out to be one wire going to the HL switch that was just too small gauge to handle the current draw in 40 yo wiring.

Happy happy happy.

green69rt

Makes you feel pretty good when you solve the problem and everything works as it should.  Happy driving! :cheers: