News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Braking Question - Factory Front Disc Brakes

Started by Matthan, January 30, 2014, 12:47:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matthan

I have a 1969 Dodge Charger with a 383 that came with power front disc brakes from the factory.

I wanted to change out the calipers , rotors and pads but I am having trouble finding the rotors and the calipers seems very expensive. I am going to keep the drums in the rear. Does any both have an options or suggestions or had the same problem?  All so can someone point me in the right direction?

Ghoste

They have just started to reproduce the rotors so they are out there.  Calipers are a little tougher.  Your best bet might be to find someone who can rebuild them for you.

Matthan

is there a kit that I can install instead of replacing the old stuff?

Ghoste

For the calipers?  Not that I know of.  There used to be rebuild kits for them from the jobbers but I think they are no longer available.  Worth checking though.  Seems to me someone in the aftermarket was selling a kit to bush them out and replace with stainless steel liners.

Matthan

is there another kit that I can buy other than what is stock?

Chargen69

my 69 has the same setup, congratulations you have a rare factory disk brake car, it was the deciding factor  on why i bought mine.  bad for you it is expensive to re do, just like everything else on these cars.

i bought new rotors from year one
i bought reman calipers from O'reily's ($370)
brake pads off the internet (they were cheap, i bought two sets)

i bought reman's instead of rebuilding my old ones, my old ones are parked in a box now

Ghoste

I had briefly considered changing my 67 to one of the kits to get by the parts availability issue but in the end decided the costs to redo what needed to be repaired in mine made it smarter to keep it factory.  It took a little time to find the needed parts but for the amount I was going to drive it, it seemed to cheaper to replace the rotors and pads once, rebuild the calipers and have it all still be correct than it was going to be to install a kit. :shruggy:

Dino

Quote from: Matthan on January 30, 2014, 03:56:10 PM
is there another kit that I can buy other than what is stock?

Several, all depending on what size rotors and type of calipers you want to run.  If you don't want the original stuff then may I suggest selling it as a lot to make someone out there real happy?  These things don't grow on trees.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Skull-1

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,6231.0.html

1969 Dodge Charger "Ol' Yeller"
1991 Buick Regal Custom
1992 Buick Regal Custom
1995 Buick Regal Gran Sport
1996 Buick Regal SE (R.I.P.)

Dino

Quote from: Skull-1 on February 07, 2014, 03:59:37 PM
Doctor Diff is bound to have one, no?

Oh yes and if he doesn't have it he can build it.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Lord Warlock

rotors are available at year one.  Calipers are available thru orielly's
69 RT/SE Y3 cream yellow w/tan vinyl top and black r/t stripe. non matching 440/375, 3:23, Column shift auto w/buddy seat, tan interior, am/fm w/fr to back fade, Now wears 17" magnum 500 rims and Nitto tires. Fresh repaint, new interior, new wheels and tires.

Chargen69

Quote from: Lord Warlock on March 14, 2014, 05:52:24 PM
rotors are available at year one.  Calipers are available thru orielly's

expensive, but exactly what i did

A383Wing

I remember a while ago that some company in New York would re-sleeve your calipers with stainless sleeve if you wanted to keep your originals.....

it's been a while now...not sure if this process is still available

Lord Warlock

One negative about the orielly calipers, they don't have original style bolts holding the two halves together, and the factory bracket that holds the brake line to the caliper will not bolt on, you can however just remove the bracket and use the brake hose to brake line without the bracket.  And the new calipers are a bit shiny compared to the older ones that were more gray looking.  But after 20 years without new calipers keeping the car off the road, I installed them without the brackets.  Can always take them to a brake shop to swap out the bolts with the original style later.  I have two sets of old style calipers plus the new ones, one of the old sets looks sleeved, but was not in servicable condition when i had them checked out.
69 RT/SE Y3 cream yellow w/tan vinyl top and black r/t stripe. non matching 440/375, 3:23, Column shift auto w/buddy seat, tan interior, am/fm w/fr to back fade, Now wears 17" magnum 500 rims and Nitto tires. Fresh repaint, new interior, new wheels and tires.

Ghoste

There used to be sleeve kits for the DIY market but I don't know if those are still available either.

Cooter

Knock all that old out dated junk off and install a 1973-76 A body set up. IIRC, 69 stuff has two piece calipers that are notorious for leaks.

You can even upgrade to 12" rots from a C body if you have tge caliper brackets I believe. Stock A body is 11" rotors and will clear 14" rims.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"