News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

73 340 question

Started by randy73, January 27, 2014, 09:16:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

randy73

anybody running a 340 with hydraulic cam and roller lifters and roller rockers?

Keeping bottom end stock for now, but plan to stroke it sometime in the future?

Cooter

Ron or Challenger340 will know more on this, but read where the small block has to have EXTENSIVE mods to run roller sh*t.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

randy73

Thanks, I read that Crane 69532-16 Roller lifters do not need any special machining, if you order the Retro's, but the regular 69532-16's do need machining.

and Crane is proud of their lifters also, almost $700 for a set and worth it, if I do not lose oil pressure.

Challenger340

Quote from: randy73 on January 27, 2014, 09:16:47 PM
anybody running a 340 with hydraulic cam and roller lifters and roller rockers?

Keeping bottom end stock for now, but plan to stroke it sometime in the future?

OK, I'll bite... what are you trying to do ?
just to clarify beforehand...
you do mean a Hydraulic Roller Cam, with Hydraulic Roller Lifters and Roller Rockers... right ?

What year piston if stock ? Heads ?
Only wimps wear Bowties !

randy73

Correct(hydraulic cam, lifters and rockers) and it is a 73 w/stock pistons and probably Edelbrock RPM heads w/springs for hydraulic lifters and cam.

Heads are 65cc chambers.

Challenger340

Quote from: randy73 on January 28, 2014, 11:57:18 AM
Correct(hydraulic cam, lifters and rockers) and it is a 73 w/stock pistons and probably Edelbrock RPM heads w/springs for hydraulic lifters and cam.

Heads are 65cc chambers.

OK,
I'll ask again.... a different way
Hydraulic ROLLER Cam and Lifters ?
or,
Hydraulic Flat Tappet Cam with Roller Lifters ?

The reason I ask... and NEED to clarify...  is because your original post referenced a "Hydraulic" Cam, which is typically a Flat Tappet Cam by definition, and you mentioned using Roller Lifters ??
just terminology, but that is a definite NO NO !
NO Roller Lifters on a Flat tappet Cam, nor vice-versa !
Apologies, I ain't calling anybody down, but it is the Internet and a guy never knows how things get interpreted at the other end ?

When talking Hydraulic Roller Cams... best call them an "HR" Cam, using "HR" Lifters, so we're on the same page OK ?

If it a stock replacement 1973 style Piston, you have plenty of Piston to Valve clearance for almost all HR Camshafts.
The only issue I can see initially, is the LOW Compression using the Aluminum Heads... because most '73 style Piston Engines were barely 8:1 in the real world with a composition head gasket.

So what is it you want to know ?
Power gains ? is it worth it ?
What Cam & Lifter to use ?

randy73

yes, ROLLER cam and lifters.

Challenger340

Oiling won't be an issue, as long as you stay with the same brand Cam & Lifters, THEIR base Circle Cam for THEIR Lifters.
So use a CRANE HR Cam with the CRANE 69532-16 retro HR Lifters.

No Guarantees on clearancing for the Lifter Tie-Bar... depends on the Block itself... some clear fine... others not so good.
With the low CR Engines on Aluminum Heads... IMO, might not impress for the $ spent ?, and you may wish to wait for the Stroker ?

randy73

Quote from: Challenger340 on January 28, 2014, 08:10:43 PM
Oiling won't be an issue, as long as you stay with the same brand Cam & Lifters, THEIR base Circle Cam for THEIR Lifters.
So use a CRANE HR Cam with the CRANE 69532-16 retro HR Lifters.

No Guarantees on clearancing for the Lifter Tie-Bar... depends on the Block itself... some clear fine... others not so good.
With the low CR Engines on Aluminum Heads... IMO, might not impress for the $ spent ?, and you may wish to wait for the Stroker ?

Thanks, I wanted to go with Crane and I was thinking of going to a stroker 373. I just finnished butting a 46RH in and am going to finnish the body work. Right now I want to gather parts and info.

randy73

BTW: looking more 300-350 hp at the crank and setting it up for further mods down the road.

Challenger340

Quote from: randy73 on January 28, 2014, 09:28:10 PM
BTW: looking more 300-350 hp at the crank and setting it up for further mods down the road.

300-350 HP at the Crank ?
With a 340 ?
1 HP per cubic inch, even on a low C.R. Engine, is attainable with the Iron Heads with just a properly done rebuild, with attention to Valve Seat Angles/Prep/Minor Porting and a Hydraulic Flat Tappet Cam.

While I understand your wishes for 300-350Hp right now, by employing as many NEW parts currently.... that can be used later in your Stroker....
I would politely suggest,
leaving the HR Cam for later, when it can be selected FOR the Final Stroker product.

Eddy HEADS now OK... but just stick with a better Flat Tappet Cam for now... save your Money until you can buy the RIGHT HR Cam later for the Stroker.

randy73

good idea, was thinking of using the same cam for both now and later with the thought that I would have the same goals. Which is something just a little more aggressive and would make good use of the 4sp auto and 3:23SG on the highway.