News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Idle speed?

Started by skywardpc, May 17, 2009, 04:27:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

skywardpc

Just replaced the distrib. in my 74 Charger and I want to put a tach on it too.  What does the idle speed need to be set to?  It is a fairly stock 318.

aifilaw

general rule is for an automatic 750 RPM idle, for a manual 1000 RPM.
for a manual and a large cam/racing application 1200 RPM.
for an automatic with a large cam go up 1-200
'72 B5 Metallic Blue Hardtop
426" Wedge - Hydraulic Roller Stealth heads

Rolling_Thunder

I like big blocks with monster cams and a 4-speed to idle at 800-900rpm    :D       Makes it sound a lot better   
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

aifilaw

yeah, but try driving in traffic with an exhaust so loud you can't hear your engine and praying that it doesn't die and you looking like a shmuck :)

Rolling_Thunder

Quote from: aifilaw on May 17, 2009, 08:48:04 PM
yeah, but try driving in traffic with an exhaust so loud you can't hear your engine and praying that it doesn't die and you looking like a shmuck :)

been there and done that...     thats what makes it fun         if i wanted easy i would drive my toyota    :rofl:
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

aifilaw

Someone, somewhere, needs to explain to me why a car would be produced from the factory and come standard with the following setup:
if manual transmission, then clock replaces the tachometer
if automatic transmission, then tachometer replaces the clock

I can't count how many makes and models of american cars from the 60's through the 90's have this.

skywardpc

thanks for all the quick answers.   :coolgleamA:

1974dodgecharger

Quote from: Rolling_Thunder on May 17, 2009, 07:40:28 PM
I like big blocks with monster cams and a 4-speed to idle at 800-900rpm    :D       Makes it sound a lot better   

thx for info RT I have adjusted my idle to 900 and she sounds so much better.  Before I had it idle at 650 and she seemed like a pig and wanted die though she didnt die, but now she roars at idle!!!!  :2thumbs:

flyinlow

800 rpm is a nice round number that's easy to read on most tacks.

myk

Depends on the car in question.  I have mine set at 800.  I could take it lower but....I like it where it's at...

1974dodgecharger

had to adjust my idle back down to roughly 600 to 700!  She did not like it at 900 when I put her into reverse she would grind a little every single time, but now im back to the lower numbers and no grind into reverse and looking like a schmuck.

lasvegas69charg

What about with Ac. Mine is set at 1k but in summer time when I turn the Ac on it drops to 700 and the car wants to die. Is there a way to fix this so when the Ac is on it jumps the rpm up?
69 dodge charger 383/727/3.55 (my dad is the original owner-matching number) stroked to a 496😉

myk

Didn't these cars come with an idle-air-compensator or similar device?

69wannabe

I think these cars with A/C had a little solenoid with a plunger mounted to the throttle lever side of the carb that would kick the idle up when you turn the A/C on.  It actually would push against the throttle lever and raise the idle and it was adjustable too. I got my charger idled around 850 rpms. Its a manual so it doesn't drop down like an automatic in gear. My buddy had a 68 charger with a 500 ci and a good size cam and we had it idled at around 1100 in park and it idled bout 800 in gear I think. I usually just tinker with the idle until I like the way it sounds. Usually somewhere between 750 rpms and 950 rpms with a mild cam and slightly higher with more aggressive cams.