News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

HEADER REDUCER X-PIPE and PIPE EXTENSION FITMENT

Started by ajay716, January 27, 2014, 03:45:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ajay716

hey guys im in the market for a budget exhaust build...let me know if this is all i need.... headers are hedman 78038 1 3/4 to 3 inch.

Stainless Steel X Pipe Kit from Summit with Mandrel Bends - http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-642125-ss/overview/ 2.5 inch stainless

Stainless steel exhaust reducer kits - http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-g4754ss/overview/ 3 inch to 2.5

12 inch exhaust pipe connecters 2.50 ID 2.50 OD

my question is how are the reducers going to go on the x pipe when they both have a diameter of 2.5, is one going to be inner and one outer? because its not specified, or are you just supposed to get the same size and it will slide in someway lol but i thought the reducer was supposed to slide into the pipe...let me know...the extensions are just cause theyre cheap and if the xpipe isnt long enough, not sure about mufflers yet but let me know if this set up will work please...thanks!
1973 Charger SE Brougham Numbers Matching
400 C.i.

fy469rtse

No I don't think that has any slip joints, trimmed to fit , welded in , do you own a mig or tig welder, or you might want plan on taking it to an exhaust shop to fit for you, but they could do the same negating the need to buy this kit

ajay716

are you talkig about the actual x pipe pieces itself? so what if i were to do it myself i could take a dremel tool and round off the edges enough to slip in? and then weld? and as far as having the shop making one will they be able to get stainless x pipe pieces for as cheap as summit has them....or were you talking about the back x pipes to the 2.5 reducer....or will i have to do this for both? any other info is greatly apreciated! thanks!!!!
400 C.i.

ajay716

okay i called summit and they said that that xpipe system is stainless and slip on fit....then i found a reducer with 3 inch collecter with a 2.5 outlet inner diameter which would let me slide the x pipes right in...but arent the reducers supposed to go slide in the x pipe not the other way around? or should i just get what i was going to and dremel offf enough of the reducer edge to slide into the x pipes? and how far along down this charger do you think this would net me, like how much extra piping do you guys think i would need? and should i run mufflerS?
400 C.i.

fy469rtse

From the headers back, ok I understand now, yes that kit looks like pipe will make it down to where you should and need to install mufflers, too noisey without them ,
That other kit is for header collectors flange plates to weld one on rear of header, so you can do a removable link joint in your exhaust, yes will work , 3" to Mitch header down to 2.5" to match exhaust
check other threads here, stainless over kill $ , and the noise from stainless will drive you crazy , tinny echoey sound ,
If dollars an issue just go with a good aluminised exhaust pipe, easier for you to mig weld too,

ajay716

are you saying with the 12 inch extensions itl be time for mufflers or no? they also have 18"? but why would i have to weld the reducer on? my hedmean 78038 headers (and im pretty sure all do lol) have 3 inch collectors on each one that have a triangle bolt shape configuration, these http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS+Performance+Products/555/30034/10002/-1 have a flange and gasket with mounting hardware to bolt right into the header, the thing is, they have a 2.5 inner diameter for connection the x pipe, which means the x pipes would go into the reducers which is a slight problem because for best flow you want the xpipe to go over the reducer right?
but do you get what im saying and do you think this will work? thanks again lol
400 C.i.

fy469rtse

It will work , any reduction in pipe diameter there is not going to make any noticeable differances, 2.5 inch pipe good size for what's there and for future upgrades to engine

ajay716

well just to be clear its just the fact that the x-pipe is going inside the reducer which would create a tiny tiny less bit of flow as opposed to the reducer being inside the reducer....but what you're saying is it wont really make any difference at all? loss of 1 to 2 hp at most?
400 C.i.

fy469rtse

You wouldn't even notice , but you can minimise it by trying the fit marking it and doing what you said , trimming it up, sounds like it will annoy you don't it to the best you can , sounds like the car possibly in good hands  :2thumbs: