News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Rear window over and over again

Started by Chargertossen, January 27, 2014, 12:55:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chargertossen

Hi there.
I am starting to build a Daytona on a old 70 383 Charger.
This is a dream I had for more than 10 years.

I`m 110% Mopar guy and have been driving mopar since I was 19.
Charger body, 68-70 is hard to get in Denmark, but 2 weeks ago I had my luck.

I have read almost all treads in aero cars and come to this conclution. If you make a clone, your uses the Vega hatch and fine with that.
Its always a clone, so take the easy way and it`s a weekend job.. I`m going to make a clone from a 70 Charger , but there is no Vegas or Vega hatch here in Denmark
I don`t want petty, but I have to make all metal work my self,and have decidet to I make room for a real Daytona glass. I have found in here some measurement on the rear glass, but are the corners like the normal Charger glass ?.

If someone have a draving or more precise measurement I´d be a more happy dane.
By the way , this site is haven , all that information you guys leave here is perfect reading for me. Thanks, its price less.

SW.

.....Moparmuscle.dk.....Mopar or no car....

Dave Kanofsky

:cheers:  Welcome!  Good luck on your project.  :cheers:
"God sent his Son into the world not to judge the world, but to save the world through him." John 3:17, NLT

Racers For Christ Chaplain (www.teamrfc.org)

Daytona R/T SE

Quote from: Chargertossen on January 27, 2014, 12:55:03 PM
Hi there.

I have read almost all treads in aero cars and come to this conclution. If you make a clone, your uses the Vega hatch and fine with that.
Its always a clone, so take the easy way and it`s a weekend job.. I`m going to make a clone from a 70 Charger , but there is no Vegas or Vega hatch here in Denmark
I don`t want petty, but I have to make all metal work my self,and have decidet to I make room for a real Daytona glass. I have found in here some measurement on the rear glass, but are the corners like the normal Charger glass ?.

By the way , this site is haven , all that information you guys leave here is perfect reading for me. Thanks, its price less.

SW.

The problem is, the reproduction Daytona rear window glass is no longer available.  :scratchchin:

Do you have an original Daytona rear window glass ?

Here's the thread on my rear window plug:

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,10669.0.html

daytonalo

Not trying to start trouble but reproduction LAMINATED backlites are avail . I have personally spoke to glass company that has template and needs 3 week turn around time
FYI  the orig backlites from late 50's to current are Tempered

The price I got for laminated Daytona backlite was 800

djcarguy

i think measure up the charger sail panal area an find a hatch back type car in your near by area an buy afew hatches for modifing an backup parts ?? seems you can match up a car closer to ya own country-area. and how many will or have ever seen a real daytona to compare it too over there??

good luck an all the best with build. over here guys have used stock 2gen window moved to fill panals. or flat glass,, amc hornet wagon window,, and seems i forgot 1 or 2.. build an enjoy,, dont stress over it.. dart-tona guy.

Chargertossen

Quote from: Dave Kanofsky on January 27, 2014, 01:35:56 PM
:cheers:  Welcome!  Good luck on your project.  :cheers:
Thanks Dave.
My son have another treat at Stanceworks.com.  Name is Daytona builds.
It`s more a BMW site and other imports.

Chargertossen

Quote from: Daytona R/T SE on January 27, 2014, 05:30:23 PM
Quote from: Chargertossen on January 27, 2014, 12:55:03 PM
Hi there.

SW.

The problem is, the reproduction Daytona rear window glass is no longer available.  :scratchchin:

Do you have an original Daytona rear window glass ?

Here's the thread on my rear window plug:

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,10669.0.html
Hi Daytona RT

I don`t have glass.
Taked with a glass guy and he can make a temped with round corners but not curves.
I have seen the glass at Janaks site. I thing it`s fit he`s fiberglass plug.
http://www.wingedwarriorbodyparts.com/di35.htm
Or is it a Vega glass ?
Not sure ,, I can live with a plastic window here in this fase of the project. Anyway , it`s going to be a race clone , like Buddy bakers car #88.

Redbird

Do you want to go to the trouble you seem to be suggesting, install a fiberglass plug, then have the seam crack all over?

The whole thing is a wonderful project, and hopefully you have a lot of fun with it.

The real questions you should ask your self at the start could begin with "I want to build a clone of a car, how much am I prepared to lose in money? and second "Am I willing to invest a lot of time basically working for nothing?"

Given your location the answers may very well be yes. Good luck! But recognize it is a big money pit.

C500

If you can wait, AMD have Daytona/500 rear glass in the works, no estimated dates as yet.
"An aggressive exterior with power to match was enough to pull in the performance boys-especially when abetted by a pair of pipes blaring out the back, and brawny red-sidewall rubber hitting the pavement."  

"........the four speed box changes cogs with the precision of a sharp axe striking soft pine."

daytonalo

Tempered ????? Being in around the glass industry years back , the cost to mfg a tempered part is super , super expensive.
I'm sure it will be Laminated like the one I can have made today . Give them a call and ask them A . if they even know the difference from a tempered part from laminated and if they say yes , ask them what the backlite is going to be .
If under 1000.00 Laminated     2500-5000 tempered 

Larry

Chargertossen

Laminatet , like windshild, sounds nice. Hove thick is that ? will it fit in a real 500/tona ? .
Here , as I mention, you get all the good ideers and help.

By the way, we have some mopars here in Denmark, a Moparclub and a free forum, Moparmuscle.dk.
Me, my self, have a 68 RT and a 68 383 4 bbl Charger.

daytonalo

I don't want laminated as Tempered is much stronger and more scratch resistant vs laminated . When  I get to that point more than likely I will have to settle for laminated .

Nwcharger

Quote from: C500 on January 28, 2014, 12:35:12 PM
If you can wait, AMD have Daytona/500 rear glass in the works, no estimated dates as yet.

They told me end of last year. I waited so long I bought a repo from talkie Mopar last summer. Now I have a lead on a real one so if that happens I may sell the repo. Or put it in my clone and sell the vega hatch and glass that's in it.  :scratchchin: but that sounds like more work.  :brickwall:
1969 coronet wagon

Chargertossen

C500.
I like a real glass and I think this projeckt will take at least a year.
By then, a glass may be an option.
Now , after seen Daytona se rt´s super nice work on his plug , I`m 100% sure It`s the way to go..

Daytona R/T SE

Quote from: Chargertossen on January 29, 2014, 08:52:05 AM

Now , after seen Daytona R/T SE´s super nice work on his plug , I`m 100% sure It`s the way to go..

Thanks. :cheers:

Here's a more recent photo of my car with paint. :coolgleamA:

1974dodgecharger

Damn that looks good now u need nose and wing and viola....damn I want.

Daytona R/T SE

Quote from: 1974dodgecharger on January 30, 2014, 12:35:43 AM

I've got all of that, ready to go...

I just need the family to leave me alone long enough so I can have the time to work on it.

:brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall:

daytonalo

Absolutely gorgeous Daytona  , super nice work !!

Larry

moparstuart

Quote from: daytonalo on January 30, 2014, 01:22:33 PM
Absolutely gorgeous Daytona  , super nice work !!

Larry
give him another ten years and he might be able to drive it   :nana:
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

1974dodgecharger

Quote from: Daytona R/T SE on January 30, 2014, 10:54:34 AM
Quote from: 1974dodgecharger on January 30, 2014, 12:35:43 AM

I've got all of that, ready to go...

I just need the family to leave me alone long enough so I can have the time to work on it.

:brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall:

Damn, just damn if i could find a car that barely ran with a plug ill be happy.  Since the nose and wing i can myself.

Looks damn fine  :2thumbs: