News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

oil pump on a fresh engine

Started by Nacho-RT74, January 26, 2014, 09:01:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

for a Mild engine on a street/strip car

ST
7 (53.8%)
HV
4 (30.8%)
HP
2 (15.4%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Nacho-RT74

what you read... and why choose one over the other ?
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

ws23rt

For a mild street engine the standard pump is more than enough.

For a loose racing engine Hv is in order.

Hp is just extra that is bypassed to the pan when there is nowhere else to go.

Cooter

Quote from: ws23rt on January 26, 2014, 09:10:20 PM
For a mild street engine the standard pump is more than enough.

For a loose racing engine Hv is in order.

And there you have it... :2thumbs:
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

69wannabe

If its a stock engine I would do a just a stock pump. The high pressure pumps are my recommendation for a healthy street engine since its a stock pump with a stronger pressure spring and will work with a stock capacity oil pan. If you are going to run an extra capacity oil pan like a 7 quart pan the you can run a high volume without the fear of pumping the pan dry. The stock and the HP pumps are my normal go to pumps unless its an engine that's going to the drag strip often. Just my opinion.

1974dodgecharger

what everyone here saids......

I run a 7qt pan so HV for me.....

John_Kunkel

Oil pumps don't bypass directly to the sump, they bypass to the suction side of the pump to be recirculated. The opening in the bypass valve dictates how much of the excess oil volume can be bypassed so, if the excess oil volume exceeds the valve's capacity, the excess volume turns into excess pressure which turns into wasted horsepower and extra strain on the pump drive.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

BSB67

Quote from: John_Kunkel on January 27, 2014, 03:58:24 PM

Oil pumps don't bypass directly to the sump, they bypass to the suction side of the pump to be recirculated. The opening in the bypass valve dictates how much of the excess oil volume can be bypassed so, if the excess oil volume exceeds the valve's capacity, the excess volume turns into excess pressure which turns into wasted horsepower and extra strain on the pump drive.

Technically, the wasted power starts when the valve opens.  Pumping oil in a circle take power.

500" NA, Eddy head, pump gas, exhaust manifold with 2 1/2 exhaust with tailpipes
4150 lbs with driver, 3.23 gear, stock converter
11.68 @ 120.2 mph

ws23rt

Quote from: John_Kunkel on January 27, 2014, 03:58:24 PM

I had a sense that I miss spoke a bit :P  --- This is better clarity. :2thumbs:

Thinking about high pressure leads to the question.  How high is enough? and at what cost?  ---Horse power consumed---

When I think about the task---An oil film that prevents metal to metal contact----more than plenty is more than enough.

We could use a pressure washer to water the lawn but a trickle feeder works just fine. :Twocents:

fy469rtse

John I repeat , your the man ,
And here I was thinking your the expert on transmissions only, but, but  you know everything,
Can you help me with this , my food processor on the back of my delorean won't process all the additives in today's food scraps, thus I can't generate 1.1 megawatts for my flux capacitor and can't make the jump back to get my parts order my race hemi all at late 60's prices, etc etc ,  I think I have the wrong name make of blender? Can you help lol  :icon_smile_big: 

cudaken

For a mild BB, I use the stock pump with the Hemi oil pump spring from MP.

Cuda Ken
I am back

A383Wing

to me, a HV pump is useless waste unless all the passages are made larger to take full effect of the pump...

a stock pump is more than adequate for your needs

maxwellwedge

Quote from: cudaken on January 28, 2014, 05:13:40 PM

For a mild BB, I use the stock pump with the Hemi oil pump spring from MP.

Cuda Ken

That's what I have always done as well.