News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

PLEASE Help Guys I NEED HELP with this LITTLE STUPID stuff, just look please

Started by ajay716, January 26, 2014, 07:39:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ajay716

I dont know why it always says i submitted a post but i didnt and it always says this shit...so annoying, sorry end rant...I know its long but please read this i need help and most of the info is at the bottom but important stuff is in the top too, please read and reply if you know anything or have suggestions, thank you. Okay guys, im no newbie to working on cars, but i am to the older ones. today, i went out just to do a few things, and has been the worst day of my life!!! :brickwall: :RantExplode: put the slotted and drilled rotors and hawk pads on, along with new outer bearing hardware etc, shocks, fuel filter, vapor canister filter, crankcase inlet air cleaner, pcv valve, to clean the engine up fully, take care of the chrome with some foil and vinegar, put on a chrome exhaust tip, see if these lug nuts i got online fit, and to clean the vinyl top and other things with the bleche white. somethings went perfect, other things went HORRIBLE. i got the slotted and drilled rotors and hawk pads on along with the outer bearings and all that after breaking a caliper pin(i got a new one but it was a little longer, still worked though) so im not worried about that;let me know what you think about that it was from carquest, the pcv valve went in no problem obv., i got the engine cleaned up after i failed to do the things youll see below(please read and answer btw i need help) :-\ got the chrome looking alot better(had some slight pitting, just needs to be polished now), put the exhaust tip on no problem, tested the lug nuts, and then cleaned up the vinyl after i ran into these bullshit problems....and here they were

THIS IS WHAT I NEED HELP WITH PLEASE READ AND ANSWER(IF YOU KNOW)THIS PART this is what went wrong :angel:
1. SHOCKS, when i went to do them(i have a service manual) i tried to take off the top nut. it started to come off, but then just was spinning(just the nut), the nut would not come up anymore on the bolt of the shock so i couldnt get it off i tried pulling the socket at an angle to try to get it up a thread if you know what i mean... any suggestions or cut off the nut and replace it?THEN i figured id try the other side, went to take off top nut, started coming more than the other one, then the actual bolt and nut were both spinning! so i took a pair of vicegrips at the top to try to hold it, but it didnt work, i even had someone helping me, so i couldnt get it off. any suggestions? or cut off and replace?i havent tried the rears ill let ya guys know though lol
2. THE DAMN FUEL FILTER!!! does my car even have one?(besides in the fuel tank) i looked everywhere for the thing that was in the service manual and possible other things that could have it, i even disconnected almost every line from the carb with key on to see what the gas line was and if there was an inline in there but couldnt see anything, WHERE IS IT? or could i not have one...if i can ill put pics of my engine bay and you guys tell me where it is pls.
3.CRANKCASE INLET AIR CLEANER!!! this thing got me so mad, if im not mistaken, its supposed to be just press in pull out like the pcv valve, when it wouldnt pull out with all my might, i tried spinning it thinking it had threads, it doesnt. so i pull and pull and twist and wiggle and finally i think i got it off, and i did, but i broke it where the piece sets into the valve cover(thats the thing that made it so hard to come out) and its still in there(where its supposed to be, stuck) how the hell do i get this out? did i go about it wrong? theres a pic of it that i will put up. please let me know, i have new valve covers and the new inlet cleaner obv but id still like to fix it now and know if i did something wrong or if it got stuck some other way...cause right now its just open i cant get the new one in because the piece is there, i mean i wouldnt try lol just saying.
4.CHARCOAL VAPOR CANISTER FILTER! Now granted i should have taken this off, but the manual said to go from the bottom, so i slid my hand down there and felt the filter and took it out(thinking i could just slide the new one back in), this was a mistake because i didnt know there was actual charcoal in it, i thought it was sediment/rust/dirt(it was darker) because stuff starting coming out, when i realized that there was so much it was supposed to be there, i couldnt stop it from coming out because i didnt have the actual canister out..i know im a dumbass....i can still salvage the charcoal for the most part because it just fell in a big pile, so my question here is, should i take the canister out fill it back up with charcoal and replace the filter? and is there somewhere to get that broken up charcoal if i dont have enough? or is something wrong with the canister because when i took it out if all fell out(keep in mind it was still in the car and i slid the filter out from the bottom). i want to keep it because i wanna keep the car original and its supposed to save gas.

now i was so pissed cause this was supposed to be so easy for me i pretty much just went in the house and left everything the way it was to take a break and see whats up, like literally the charcoals on the ground the rims still off the car hoods up the fuel filters was thrown somewhere lol.... :flame: im not trying to rush you guys cause youve been so helpful but i want to go out there tomorrow and get everything fixed cause like i said i left everything there open and all, ready to fix it. so please respond asap. :pity:

Like i said i know this is a long post and if you guys took the time to read it please respond cause it got me so mad and i dont know where to turn, i already turned to the manual but it doesnt say much about these things probably because theyre supposed to be easy!!! and i need to get back out there and fix this stuff so i can move on....but like i said thank you sooo much for reading and replying(if ya do) :cheers:

P.S. If you guys need any other pics or any other information let me know its a 73 SE Brougham with a 400 2barrel auto tranny on column stock gears under 50kmileage, no mods really yet.

1973 Charger SE Brougham Numbers Matching
400 C.i.

ajay716

1st pics to look for fuel filter next are to show crankcase filter stuck and how to get out
400 C.i.

ajay716

400 C.i.

69wannabe

The shocks are turning with the nut and all. I have gone through the wheel well with a big pair of channel locks and held the top of the shock and the nut will come off. May want to spray it with some PB blaster or WD 40. I'm not sure but the fuel filter may be mounted under and behind the alternator. That's where it is on the older big blocks. The crankcase breather is stuck because the grommet is 40 years old and hard as a rock!! You may want to pull that valve cover and chisel that grommet out and put a new grommet in with the new breather. You will need to spray them shock bolts and nuts with some WD to make them easier to get off and back on. Good luck with it.

ajay716

I tried grabbing the bolt with vice grips on the one but they wouldn't work I had pbblaster but the nutwas on so tight the vice grips were slipping no matter what, then I believe on the other one the bolt is so coroded it won't let the nut move up so it just spins...I think the best way is to use a cutoff tool at this point because the new shocks come with their own bolts and I can just get nuts... Lmk what you think I also used channel locks wih a friend of mine we held it as tight as it could then I even hammered aa small ass socket on it like 9/32 still didn't work. What do you mean by grommet do you mean the blue washer like thing around the hole on the valve
cover in the pic or the thing that's actually stuck in there in the pic where the new plug for the breather is supposed to be in other words is the grommet the plug that is stuxck and the thing the new breather goes into valve cover? Or do you mean the blue ring right around it like. Washer I know I'm repetitive lol And if it is the washer like thing are you saying that's attached to the plug for the breather by factory? Or possibly by being old...?  Thanks alex
400 C.i.

RallyeMike

THIS IS WHAT I NEED HELP WITH PLEASE READ AND ANSWER(IF YOU KNOW)THIS PART this is what went wrong angel
1. SHOCKS, when i went to do them(i have a service manual) i tried to take off the top nut. it started to come off, but then just was spinning(just the nut), the nut would not come up anymore on the bolt of the shock so i couldnt get it off i tried pulling the socket at an angle to try to get it up a thread if you know what i mean... any suggestions or cut off the nut and replace it?THEN i figured id try the other side, went to take off top nut, started coming more than the other one, then the actual bolt and nut were both spinning! so i took a pair of vicegrips at the top to try to hold it, but it didnt work, i even had someone helping me, so i couldnt get it off. any suggestions? or cut off and replace?i havent tried the rears ill let ya guys know though lol

Soak with WD or PB blaster a few days, hold with a vice grips. You can always resort to cutting it off, assuming you are replacing the shock anyway.

2. THE DAMN FUEL FILTER!!! does my car even have one?(besides in the fuel tank) i looked everywhere for the thing that was in the service manual and possible other things that could have it, i even disconnected almost every line from the carb with key on to see what the gas line was and if there was an inline in there but couldnt see anything, WHERE IS IT? or could i not have one...if i can ill put pics of my engine bay and you guys tell me where it is pls.

None in the tank. Stocker is typically down by the fuel pump (under the alternator).

3.CRANKCASE INLET AIR CLEANER!!! this thing got me so mad, if im not mistaken, its supposed to be just press in pull out like the pcv valve, when it wouldnt pull out with all my might, i tried spinning it thinking it had threads, it doesnt. so i pull and pull and twist and wiggle and finally i think i got it off, and i did, but i broke it where the piece sets into the valve cover(thats the thing that made it so hard to come out) and its still in there(where its supposed to be, stuck) how the hell do i get this out? did i go about it wrong? theres a pic of it that i will put up. please let me know, i have new valve covers and the new inlet cleaner obv but id still like to fix it now and know if i did something wrong or if it got stuck some other way...cause right now its just open i cant get the new one in because the piece is there, i mean i wouldnt try lol just saying.

Pull the valve cover. Oops.

4.CHARCOAL VAPOR CANISTER FILTER! Now granted i should have taken this off, but the manual said to go from the bottom, so i slid my hand down there and felt the filter and took it out(thinking i could just slide the new one back in), this was a mistake because i didnt know there was actual charcoal in it, i thought it was sediment/rust/dirt(it was darker) because stuff starting coming out, when i realized that there was so much it was supposed to be there, i couldnt stop it from coming out because i didnt have the actual canister out..i know im a dumbass....i can still salvage the charcoal for the most part because it just fell in a big pile, so my question here is, should i take the canister out fill it back up with charcoal and replace the filter? and is there somewhere to get that broken up charcoal if i dont have enough? or is something wrong with the canister because when i took it out if all fell out(keep in mind it was still in the car and i slid the filter out from the bottom). i want to keep it because i wanna keep the car original and its supposed to save gas.

It doesnt save you gas. I'd just leave it empty but hooked up if you want it to appear original.
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

ajay716

its supposed to absorb fuel vapors then put them back in the carb so in theory it could save you a little gas, not noticeable but i bet if you did a test it would a little bit....i think ill just take it off and put as much as a can back in but i was wondering if something was wrong cause when i took out the filter from the bottom it all just fell out...idk. i know what you mean by pull the valve cover, but i want to fix it before i put the new ones one, if i took these out planning on putting them  back in it wouldnt really sollve anything unless i can get it out from there...is that what you are implying? but if its attatched to the grommet(blue washer thing around filter) like the other guy said it may be, thats on the outside and taking it off wouldnt help. do you know if the filter is attatched to that washer looking thing or if its just the plug that holds it in place? thanks the rest of your info was straight to the point and helpful.
400 C.i.

ajay716

well in the pic its silver, cause when i try to pull the plug out with a screwdriver it also moves, so let me know what you think, if the plug thats stuck is attatched to that or if the plug is just what holds the filter in...thats what i thought so pulling the valve cover and pressing it thru the back would work, if not can you think of any easier ways to just pull it out from the front?
400 C.i.

ajay716

400 C.i.

fy469rtse

You will have to pull rocker cover off to retrieve grommet,
Those nuts on top of shockers in engine bay, some times previous owners or who ever has worked on the car has over tightened them and stripped the threads, if your replacing the shockers , just be careful not to damage or cut into anything else , use a thin cutting wheel on small size hand held grinder and cut just under nut, you should get new top rubbers that fit in there included with new shockers, or if you can get to it from under Neath with wheels off cut through the shaft from under the fender, the remaining part should just pull out then, good luck with it

ajay716

so the "grommet" is just the cylindrical piece of broken metal stuck in the valve cover in the pic? lol or is is the silver thing and the things thats stuck is attached to it...and thanks for the advice, i will cut the nut like you said itl be my first time and ill be doing both sides ill let you know how it goes, thanks.

alex
400 C.i.

Ghoste

I wouldn't lose much sleep about the charcoal canister.  The amount of fuel you save by having it over the course of the year could be enough to damn near fill a one cup container.

ajay716

yeah but i was wondering why it all just fell out? is it the filter just holding it in? and idk id just like to have it original, so i want to keep it but i think theyre hard to replaceand lke i said i just want to know if something is wrong with it  i mean theres a saying that slow money is better than no money and i guess you could associate that with this if you know what i mean...

alex
400 C.i.

ajay716

BUMP one more question, and i know this sounds dumb but i dont really have 2 people readily available, can someone point out to me which is the main fuel line that goes to the carb? so that if i cant find or there isnt one i can put my inline one in there? much appreciated, btw, i bought a 10$ "nut splitter" from autozone and if you get it to set straight it works like a charm....just fyi. but please let me know about that fuel line because in my manual it says is should be in the engine bay but its nowhere there, ill check where you guys said but if not i need to know which line carries the fuel to the carb cause i have no one to crank it while i check....sorry im so repetitive i just wanna do this right, thanks for everything guys...
400 C.i.

ajay716

and please someone answer my question about the grommet....i know theres a pcv grommet but is it the same thing only with a larger diameter for the breather? im confused if its supposed to come out with the grommet or what...sorry guys im new to this stuff :slap:
400 C.i.

polywideblock

Quote from: ajay716 on January 28, 2014, 04:37:53 AM
BUMP one more question, and i know this sounds dumb but i dont really have 2 people readily available, can someone point out to me which is the main fuel line that goes to the carb? so that if i cant find or there isnt one i can put my inline one in there? much appreciated, btw, i bought a 10$ "nut splitter" from autozone and if you get it to set straight it works like a charm....just fyi. but please let me know about that fuel line because in my manual it says is should be in the engine bay but its nowhere there, ill check where you guys said but if not i need to know which line carries the fuel to the carb cause i have no one to crank it while i check....sorry im so repetitive i just wanna do this right, thanks for everything guys...

just follow the rubber line backwards from front top of carb should go down to fuel pump and then a rubber line to the hard line from the tank

and 71 GA4  383 magnum  SE

fy469rtse

Ajay , no dumb questions ,just because where more experienced, doesn't mean we haven't been in your shoes, top photo looks like the steel line running in middle of photo straight up to carb is your fuel line , but don't put filter there  
Have a look on passenger side under your alternator , that's where your mechanical fuel pump is , typically fuel filter goes inline before pump, why.? Because you don't want pump to suck up crap to to that,
You can I and I like to run second filter where you were intending before carby , but before pump is more important.

fy469rtse

Just in case that's not clear where to find your fuel lines and where they go to pump, down along frame rail under or below one of those pesky troublesome shocker nuts your have been trying to get off , fuel lines run up the under side of chassis in steel , then they have flexible section to pump,

ajay716

Thanks so much guys you two have been the quickest responding most informative nice straight to the point people I've ever met.... But yeah I ended up gettin those babies on damn did the bottom bolti need some force I thought it had threads it was so hard lol so I just used a big ass clamp and off she came I can't wait to pu the rest of my parts on. You guys should check out my other threads if you haven yet...  i ll be putting build pics just a budget build for now but look in my profile at my posts n check those out see if you have nothing to say cause I have plenty othher questions thanks again guys you're great I'm goin to bed maybe I'll have some posts on my other threads that will make me even more happy, so please take a look m. Ttganks a million. Alex
400 C.i.