News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

need body shop 101 tutoring

Started by randy73, February 01, 2014, 10:10:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

randy73

I have picked up several body books, but none seem to go into detail on how to block sand cars, so that the car looks straight. I am just a little bit a way from doing this and the shop told me I could save $2-3,000 if I get the car sanded down and ready for final detail sanding. So with that motivation, I would like to take a try at it at least.

Car is a 73 w/full vinyl top and I have to patch the dutchman panel and media blast the hood and drivers fender. Also has a 6" dent on pass. rocker panel, but I plan to leave that for the body shop. Also need to finish repairing both C pillars that have holes right at the edge of the roof.

Ryan.C

I have used youtube videos and another forum " autobody101 " to answer alot of those autobody how to questions
There are few problems in life that cannot be solved with C-4.

randy73

Thanks, I will look up those, never thought to look on youtube.

NHCharger

I bought some dvd's by Kevin Tetz, believe they're available at eastwood.com.
He use to be one of the hosts on the spike tv channel show "Trucks". Found a lot of his info very helpful. He also has a web board but it's been hacked and is currently down.
As mentioned there are plenty of vids on youtube.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone
79 Lil Red Express - future money pit
88 Ramcharger 4x4- current money pit
55 Dodge Royal 2 door - wife's money pit
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

Patronus

I like to tape all my body lines. Sometimes it takes hours to get right. I build up a few layers of alternating colors and then fill to that. Sand until you just see the first tape layer and you're there. Tape off the finished side, fill, sand until the tape just starts to break through and you're done. Always from one end to the other. No quick circles or cross hatch... Even pressure, one end to the other is the fastest way to the booth.
'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE

Dino

A bunch of red flags just jumped out at me when I read this.  The body shops wants you to do prep work on a car they will finish and paint?  If you plan on having the car done right then may I make one suggestion?  Find another shop.

I would not touch a car that was prepped by someone else.  If I don't know what's beneath the primer then I would never take the risk tying my name to a paint job that may not hold up.

If you're going for a 20 footer deal then just get yourself a few short and long blocks and make cross patterns while you sand.  The real secret of good block sanding is that you do not put a downward force on the block.  You make the block glide and let the sandpaper do the work.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

garner7555

I agree with Dino.  I used to be a body man by trade, I would never want to paint a car that someone else had repaired. Your reputation means a LOT in that business.  :2thumbs:
69 Charger 440 resto-mod