News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

converting 70 to 68

Started by don duick, January 25, 2014, 05:51:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

don duick

does anybody know if I can fit 68 taillights onto a 69 panel with some cutting and welding or is it a totally different shape. I don't know anyone with a 68 to have a close look.

spoolinhard

Lots of cutting and welding. i would buy amd or find a good used :cheers:

Ghoste

Its a different shape at the sides.  You'll need the AMD panel to make it nice or a good used one.
Why not just sell the 69 and get a 68 instead?

ACUDANUT

"Its a different shape at the sides" really ? I along with most would never notice this.
Anyway, you will need a rear taillight panel and fix the side marker lights. As you know you will need a grill. Your hood should work, but may not be "correct".

Ghoste

Where the trim fits.  If you look close at the 68 car in DMCL when it is driving into the walnut grove to fix the wheel or freeze frame it when he's bumping the cop into the canal you can see how they butchered in the 69 taillights.  You have to kind of picture the reverse.

don duick

Actually I meant to say convert a 70 to 68 {69 and 70 same tailpanel} I can buy a 68 front clip for about $4,000. There is also a possibility to sell my 70 front clip. I am from Australia it is very difficult to sell a car unless you let it go for a  low price. At the moment there are only 2 68 chargers for sale and they are way overpriced. Just a bit worried what 70 rear will look like with 68 front. Not sure what to do with side lights maybe weld 70 holes and drill 68 holes or keep 70 holes and cut out 70 holes in 68 fenders. Don't really like 68 side lights but like the 70 side lights. worried I might ruin the car with mismatched parts. Is only a XH car not too fused about originality.

XH29N0G

Quote from: don duick on January 25, 2014, 07:27:50 PM
...... Is only a XH car not too fused about originality.

Wait a minute....
Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

don duick

sorry XH29NoG I know all chargers are precious. Suppose R/T s are a bit over rated when compared to todays technology sorry R/T guys. I think I better just shut up now.

XH29N0G

:lol: I smiled when I read it and had the honor of my car to defend.

Of course all chargers are precious, even if no one takes an XP or XS to make an XH clone.
Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

Ghoste

I understand what you're saying but I still think I'd hang onto the car as is for now and hunt a 68.  Maybe you guys need to find a happy middle ground if its impossible to sell because everyone wants to buy them cheap but the only 68's are way overpriced?? ;)

1974dodgecharger

Just buy a 68....unless 68 prices are higher than 69 and 70s then i could understand.

hawkeye

What you save in the beginning, you will lose when you sell the car.  Hybrids aren't worth nearly as much.

Ghoste

Ain't that the truth.  If you think people want to low ball you on the car now...

JB400

What's the reason for wanting to switch anyway? :popcrn:

I agree that it'd be easier to just buy a 68, than convert.

dual fours

Actually I meant to say convert a 70 to 68 {69 and 70 same tailpanel} I can buy a 68 front clip for about $4,000. There is also a possibility to sell my 70 front clip. I am from Australia it is very difficult to sell a car unless you let it go for a  low price. At the moment there are only 2 68 chargers for sale and they are way overpriced. Just a bit worried what 70 rear will look like with 68 front. Not sure what to do with side lights maybe weld 70 holes and drill 68 holes or keep 70 holes and cut out 70 holes in 68 fenders. Don't really like 68 side lights but like the 70 side lights. worried I might ruin the car with mismatched parts. Is only a XH car not too fused about originality.
wonder why you would want to ruin a 70 with a 68 front clip :eek2:? that would be some mismatched parts. Save both cars the misery and your frustration and save up for the 68, sounds like the 68's will not sell to quickly because there overpriced in Australia.
1970 Dodge Charger SE, 383 Magnum, dual fours, Winter's shifter and racing transmission.

26 END
J25 L31 M21 M31 N85 R22
VX1 AO1 A31 A47 C16 C55
FK5 CRXA TX9 A15
E63 D32 XP29 NOG

don duick

good points made by all. Might be best to leave it alone

polywideblock

if your not concerned with originality why not go full on 70  :yesnod:.  hi impact, spoilers, etc   just my  :Twocents: 

and 71 GA4  383 magnum  SE

don duick

what an original factory spoiler? will it fit over a chrome luggage rack? :rofl:

polywideblock

luggage rack is just as cool   , yes I know its a sickness  :icon_smile_big:

and 71 GA4  383 magnum  SE

Ghoste

I bet it turns out cheaper in the long run too.  (keeping the 70 as a 70 that is)

Troy

People turn 68s into all sorts of things and 70s into Daytona clones all the time. Just buy an AMD tail panel and swap it out. It's one of the easier pieces to replace. The hard part will be finding good 68 taillight assemblies! You might be able to get a set of the reproductions from BE&A (if they still have any). There are a couple pieces of the 68 specific tail panel trim that are elusive as well. Other than that, the side markers are easy to convert. Also, don't forget that the 68 reverse lights are in the tail light assembly so the ones in the valance need to disappear.

And then there's the problem of your entire interior needing to change...

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

jaak

Quote from: Troy on January 26, 2014, 11:11:52 AM
People turn 68s into all sorts of things and 70s into Daytona clones all the time. Just buy an AMD tail panel and swap it out. It's one of the easier pieces to replace. The hard part will be finding good 68 taillight assemblies! You might be able to get a set of the reproductions from BE&A (if they still have any). There are a couple pieces of the 68 specific tail panel trim that are elusive as well. Other than that, the side markers are easy to convert. Also, don't forget that the 68 reverse lights are in the tail light assembly so the ones in the valance need to disappear.

And then there's the problem of your entire interior needing to change...

Troy

I agree. Tail panel is an easy swap, that could always be 'undone' if need be. Sometimes its not as simple as "Sell your 70/Buy a 68" If you got a good solid 70, but want a 68...by all means build a 68. It isn't like its permanent damage. When I decided to buy another charger.... I wanted another 69. Couldn't find what I wanted to start with. I could live with replacing trunk/floors, maybe quarters if need be, but I didn't want bad rails/clapped out car. Well the only car I found that was pretty solid and could be bought with what I had to spend was a 68. So I decided to buy it, was gonna live with having a 68, no biggie. Well a member on here had a new AMD 69 tailpanel he decided not to use for $175. So I bought it so I could at least have 69 taillights. Then all the parts I needed started popping up at the right time, bought a 69 grille center for $250....the day after I bought it a guy placed a wanted ad on here needing a 68 grille center, so I sold it to him for $225. After buying the stuff I needed and selling the 68 stuff I wasn't going to use, I wound up with everything I needed and like 70 bucks left over.

If its in your budget and you think it's the best route to go, 68 conversion might be the best option for you. Like I said, its nothing that the next owner can't undo if he wants to. It's like if you buy a Car and you don't like the color, guess what...you can paint it! And if you sell that same car and the next owner wants it back the original color.....he can paint it back!

Good luck with your project (Whether it stays a 70 or becomes a 68....It'll be cool either way  :2thumbs:)

BTW.....Share some pics!

Jason

BIGBLCK11

...Just a bit worried what 70 rear will look like with 68 front. Not sure what to do with side lights maybe weld 70 holes and drill 68 holes or keep 70 holes and cut out 70 holes in 68 fenders. Don't really like 68 side lights but like the 70 side lights. worried I might ruin the car with mismatched parts...

In your situation, I would also say just convert it(well, first I would say leave it a 70, because it's better  ;)).  How far you take it, depends on if you are going for a complete 68, resale value or just what you like.  It will look out of place to those who know Chargers and probably prefer it to be correct.  I agree, it will lessen the value.  But, I like the 69/70 tail lights better, even if I had a 69, I would run a 68 center section in the grill.  I was once told, there should be a law against doing that, lol.  I think it would look better, even if not correct.  If you like the side markers , leave them alone too.  The interior will still be wrong, if you don't do the full conversion.  Just saying, that if you didn't do all of it, some part of it will be out of place or incorrect, so who cares, it's your car.  I do think that that round tail lights go better with round side markers, if you do swap the tail panel.  Tough decision to make for sure.

Quote from: jaak on January 26, 2014, 01:56:01 PM
Good luck with your project (Whether it stays a 70 or becomes a 68....It'll be cool either way  :2thumbs:)
X2

The70RT

Once your inside driving it you won't know the difference anyway!  :2thumbs:
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

fy469rtse

Don , you haven't told us why or what it is about the 70 model you don't like , is it the fit of front bumper , go the full treatment to rt muscle car , get another boot lid and put that to the side if you hate the luggage rack ,
There's a lot I like about the 70 model , inside I like the doortrims , best out the the 3 , rt side scoops ,