News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Mopars discovered hidden in Tractor Trailers

Started by TheAutoArchaeologist, January 25, 2014, 04:46:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheAutoArchaeologist

Here is a cool story, I drove past these tractor trailers for over a decade, had no idea what was hiding in them.  I had no reason to stop other then a 73 Charger rotting outside.  I thought you guys would appreciate it!  Really nice guy owns the cars, I thankfully now count him as a friend.

www.barnfinds.org

Ryan

polywideblock

good idea ,at least there out of the weather    :2thumbs:

does the gas can hanging from the hood mean she runs  ;D

didn't see the link    :slap: good read

and 71 GA4  383 magnum  SE

ACUDANUT

1974dodgecharger

boys3rt

Great seeing a NU Husky car person! Great story as well.

Ghoste

dyslexic teddybear

Quote from: Ghoste on January 25, 2014, 06:49:49 PM
Off the ground and out of the elements.  :2thumbs:

Plus, in some areas, as it's on wheels......not taxable as a building. :2thumbs:

I like the off the ground part too. May not be to handy to get your car into......would also be a LOT harder for a thief to get your car out of......

Have seen them for sale......1500$ maybe? Been thinking about one for long term project storage. :scratchchin:

Ghoste

Never thought of that, those are a couple of other advantages.  :yesnod:

TheAutoArchaeologist

It definitely does have some advantages to being off the ground.  Keeps them nice and protected, and he got them for cheap, so it's great all around.

They all ran when put away.  Now after so many years, they probably need to be freshened up.  But Most of them other then the obvious handful outside don't need much.

Ghoste

Were the trailers all in decent condition?  Because they can still go to crap sitting around like that and when they do lose structural integrity they can go down quicker than a building.  Then it won't be so pretty.

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

TheAutoArchaeologist

Quote from: Ghoste on January 26, 2014, 07:22:11 AM
Were the trailers all in decent condition?  Because they can still go to crap sitting around like that and when they do lose structural integrity they can go down quicker than a building.  Then it won't be so pretty.

The tractor trailers were not in bad shape.  Other then the one broken skylight, they seemed weather tight.  You can see all the pictures at the link below.

Glad you guys enjoy the pictures.  There is more to come!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/hemipwr70/sets/72157632765132009/

polywideblock

two questions one is the hoist isn't in a trailer is it ?  camera angle makes it look like a shed . two whats the plum crazy 3rd gen   :scratchchin:  you've made one   very cool find  there   :yesnod:

TUFCAT

Awesome find...and cool story. Thanks for sharing!  :2thumbs:

HeavyFuel

:o

That '71 Bee, purple, white inside.   :yesnod:

Too bad it ended up being a rusted out mess.

TheAutoArchaeologist

No the guy has a shop there near the tractor trailers which he works out of.

If you mean this 3rd gen, it is the 1971 Superbee, 383 Auto on the floor.

Ryan

polywideblock

that's the one    :2thumbs:  another one squirrelled away  at least its out of the weather

ACUDANUT

Why store rusted out junk ? Nothing really looks like a million dollars in those trailers, more like a hundred dollars. :Twocents:
I still love the story, but don't see any money.

TheAutoArchaeologist

There's a little money.  No Hemi cars or anything.  The 70 Challenger R/T SE 440, auto, a/c, etc.... is pretty nice.  The 71 Superbee isn't half bad.  The M-Code darts would probably be the top of the hill.  The 70 RR needs a lot, but is restorable.

The rusted out hulks outside are M-Code hulks.  440 Darts.  Kinda rare, I already know someone who wants to buy both!

1974dodgecharger

Quote from: ACUDANUT on January 26, 2014, 10:32:17 PM
Why store rusted out junk ? Nothing really looks like a million dollars in those trailers, more like a hundred dollars. :Twocents:
I still love the story, but don't see any money.

maybe he stored them there many moons ago and didnt think about that they would maybe be worth something or not worth something, but he did store them there im sure long ago not thinking of value, but more of trying to preserve them.

Ghoste

So only big dollar cars should be stored under cover?  Thats ridiculous, if you think they are rusted out junk only worth a hundred buck then a couple of seasons outdoors should be all it takes to make their next internet thread appearance have a title like "Who leaves a car outside to be destoyed forever" or "If you aren't going to sell it at least get it under cover" or any of the many other threads where we complain because someone who wont sell the car wont store it either.
No the cars aren't pristine or Hemi valuable but I for one applaud him for at least keeping them dry and out of the weather if he isnt fixing them up.

Aero426

That stuff is dry and off the ground.  If you have cheap or free access to the trailers, why not?     There was a good sized high performance Chevy collection in Wisconsin a few years ago stored like this.

TheAutoArchaeologist

I'm glad he put them in tractor trailers.  I was just rattling off what I thought was the rarest cars there.  I think it is great he has 4-door darts and Falcon's stashed away.  They are all cool.!

ACUDANUT

Ghoste

Its less of a comment for everything in this case than a retort to a common theme.  By the smileys I clearly struck a nerve but it could also be that you and I simply disagree strongly on some things.  I hope the rest of your day goes well.  :cheers:

JB400

Considering that there are literally thousands of people that would love to have a minimally rusted and fairly complete project car to start with, there's money sitting there in the trailers.  And considering that in this economy, there are more people that are willing and capable to buy a lesser model than there is to get a Hemi car that needs restored.

twenty mike mike

Leaving M code Darts to rot away outside is just criminal.  :icon_smile_angry:

Did you actually see the fender tag on the green Dart inside? M codes are GTSs and that has a Swinger trunk instead of the GTS tail panel. Or maybe it's one of those famous factory mistakes.  :shruggy:

TheAutoArchaeologist

I did not see the fender tag, the dash had an M on it.  Maybe the trunk was replaced?  Who knows.

The other 2 M-Codes were cut up long before he got them.  He just didn't want to waste space on the rusted hulks. 

ACUDANUT

Quote from: stroker400 wedge on January 27, 2014, 03:13:18 PM
Considering that there are literally thousands of people that would love to have a minimally rusted and fairly complete project car to start with, there's money sitting there in the trailers.  And considering that in this economy, there are more people that are willing and capable to buy a lesser model than there is to get a Hemi car that needs restored.

The biggest bummer for me, was seeing that 71 Super Bee all rotted up.  :brickwall:

polywideblock

twenty mike mike

Quote from: Devil on January 30, 2014, 12:06:21 AM
I did not see the fender tag, the dash had an M on it.  Maybe the trunk was replaced?  Who knows.

The other 2 M-Codes were cut up long before he got them.  He just didn't want to waste space on the rusted hulks. 

So the VIN started with LM23? Not to  :horse: or anything.

TheAutoArchaeologist

Quote from: twenty mike mike on January 30, 2014, 01:57:50 PM
Quote from: Devil on January 30, 2014, 12:06:21 AM

No, LS23M

twenty mike mike

Quote from: Devil on January 30, 2014, 03:36:11 PM

No, LS23M
[/quote]

So it is real. Great find.  :cheers: