News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

plastic

Started by el dub, January 25, 2014, 03:18:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

el dub

Well I'm wondering why the caulking does not go across the top on the quarter windows. I'm at the point of putting in the door panels and I noticed that the plastic underneath is not caulked across the top. Is it supposed to be? thanks. lw
entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem

cdr

LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

bill440rt

Are you talking about the plastic vapor barrier underneath the door panels?  :shruggy:

IIRC there was no caulk across the top, either. It goes underneath the chrome divider molding and the upper pad support, so that holds it down across the top of the plastic.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

el dub

I didn't have any caulking going across on the top, just the bottom. Bill, are you saying the caulking goes underneath the molding piece? Or between the two pieces?

bill440rt

This is how the plastic vapor barrier was installed on my '69, patterned after the old one that came out. Yours just goes too high. It should stop at the divider trim.
Hope this helps.  :cheers:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

Just 6T9 CHGR

Bill is that little plastic shield thingy installed in that pic (upper left corner of quarter)  If so it tucks in behind the headliner?

I bought a set of those to install in my car this season (they were missing??)
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

bill440rt

Yes, it clips to the inner quarter metal framework.  :2thumbs:  :cheers:

Just 6T9 CHGR

Great...now to take the rear seat out again for the 1000th time  ;)
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

twodko

You are now the forum's official "go to guy seat taker outer" master tech.
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

el dub

Thanks Bill for the pic. I ran mine to the top because the caulking went to the top on both sides. There was no caulking going across the panel.

HeavyFuel

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95015.msg1177501.html#msg1177501

My original plastic went up as far as el dub's did.   :scratchchin:

Be sure to tuck the bottom of the plastic into the quarter/door, to shed the water properly.

bill440rt

VERY interesting!  :cheers:
There were no signs of caulk up that high on my inner panels.  :scratchchin:

b5blue

Did you guys put the string into the caulking like factory?  :scratchchin: It's more like sewing thread but there I guess to help remove the plastic?

HeavyFuel

Nah......that embedded string was probably intended to keep the caulk in one piece while the guys were flying around the Hamtramck floor doing assembly.  

Things move at a much slower pace in my garage.