News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Beefer B-body torsion bars with a 426 Hemi

Started by hemi68charger, January 14, 2014, 08:23:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hemi68charger

Hello All,

As some have been following, I'm in the process of gathering parts and components for the installaion of my newly acquired 426 Hemi into my Daytona. I was thinking of replacing the original, and possibly fatiqued OEM torsion bars, with the MP .96 over the OEM .92...

Any experiences out there with this? I would assume the bigger bars will give me a stiffer ride up front and handle the increase weight of the motor. I will be getting the 2 1/8 TTI headers instead of the 2 1/4 versions, so I should have a little bit more clearance. With the headers, there's all the interaction between header tubes, torsion bars, starter, power steering gearbox, tranny lines, etc...

Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

Ghoste

It can't hurt and I don't think it'll be an issue as far as header fitment.  

Mike DC

If you want a really noticeable difference in the stiffness then it will take a little more than the 0.96" bars.  I like the 0.96" ones but they don't feel a whole lot stiffer than stock.  The upside is they ride over bumps almost as smoothly as the stockers too.   

HPP

Most guys pursuing handling in these old boats are using 1.12 to 1.22 bars with big blocks.  As a simple cruiser, you may want to consider 1.0 as a minimum starting point, especially with the elephant on the nose. I'd also recommend a step up to the Bilstein shocks to accompany them as the additional rate of the 1+ bars requires additional control and the valving of the Bilsteins is such that they not only improve the performance of the suspension as a system but they also improve the ride quality in spite of the big step up in rate.

Back N Black

I have the .96 torsion bars with 1 7/8 TTI headers and they are very close to the torsion bars and hit some times when i put it in gear.

Ghoste

hemi68charger

Quote from: Back N Black on January 14, 2014, 10:14:19 AM
I have the .96 torsion bars with 1 7/8 TTI headers and they are very close to the torsion bars and hit some times when i put it in gear.

That's why I planned on getting the .96's with the 2 1/8 TTI headers...... Hopefully, I won't have contact problems.......... Thanks for the input, it is what I'm looking for...

Cheers,  :cheers:
Troy
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)

Mike DC

If several hundredths of an inch makes a difference in clearance with the exhaust then you've got a clearance problem, period.  It shouldn't be that close no matter what size bars & pipes you are running. 

hemi68charger

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on January 14, 2014, 04:40:58 PM

If several hundredths of an inch makes a difference in clearance with the exhaust then you've got a clearance problem, period.  It shouldn't be that close no matter what size bars & pipes you are running. 

That's the part I don't know, hence the post...... I would rather err on the side of too much space than too little... Don't want to spend A LOT of money only to find out something's wrong......
Troy

1974dodgecharger

auto or manual?

I have hotchkis 1.1 and they do not hit anything...mine is manual.

myk

Ugh seriously?  What size bars did the 383 cars run?

JB400

Quote from: myk on January 14, 2014, 11:13:59 PM

Ugh seriously?  What size bars did the 383 cars run?

myk

Great.  Another variable to consider in my header-or-not debate.  I would agree that the .96 bar probably doesn't do much more than the .88; it's 1" or more, or nothing.  What's the downside of running a bar that's too thick?

HPP

.96 don't feel bad for a small block car. With the Hemi, I think it will feel undersprung, but I'm used to a lot more spring rate under cars than most.

Yes, headers and T-bars sometimes have a close relationship. However, mushy motor mounts, hammered mounts, or even a slight variation in the exact location they are tightened into can influence this relationship. 

A bar that's too thick without adequate shock control will ride like a truck.

green69rt

TBs are pretty quick to change out, just try the ones you have and see what happens??  Then move up.  Search this forum for opinions.  Personally I think once you get > 1.0 you get to a noticeably stiffer ride.

myk

Quote from: HPP on January 15, 2014, 12:33:03 AM
.96 don't feel bad for a small block car. With the Hemi, I think it will feel undersprung, but I'm used to a lot more spring rate under cars than most.

Yes, headers and T-bars sometimes have a close relationship. However, mushy motor mounts, hammered mounts, or even a slight variation in the exact location they are tightened into can influence this relationship. 

So, the appropriate shock should be purchased with the thicker bars.  What shock for what sized bar?  I'm running a 440 btw...

1974dodgecharger

hotchkis shock with hotchkis bars  :icon_smile_big:

Quote from: myk on January 15, 2014, 03:41:06 AM
Quote from: HPP on January 15, 2014, 12:33:03 AM

So, the appropriate shock should be purchased with the thicker bars.  What shock for what sized bar?  I'm running a 440 btw...

Back N Black

Quote from: 1974dodgecharger on January 14, 2014, 09:12:48 PM

auto or manual?

Auto transmission, what header on you car?

Mike DC

0.88" was the standard B-body size, but the standard V8 Charger size in the 1960s was 0.90".  R/Ts got 0.92".

IMHO the 0.96" bars are basically a good streetable stock-replacement type of bar for a 440 or Hemi car.  Pretty much everyone agrees that the stock T-bars on these cars were on the soft side originally, even aside from trying to build a cornering machine.  (And the heavy rear leaf setups on the RTs were too stiff in comparison.)   

1974dodgecharger

Quote from: Back N Black on January 15, 2014, 01:59:01 PM
Quote from: 1974dodgecharger on January 14, 2014, 09:12:48 PM

auto or manual?

The nasty hookers lol....with 3inch pipeing back collector
Auto transmission, what header on you car?

Cooter

The .960 bars in an E body were a noticeable difference with 440 & 4 speed.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

hemi68charger

Quote from: Cooter on January 18, 2014, 10:27:43 AM
The .960 bars in an E body were a noticeable difference with 440 & 4 speed.

Those have been ordered and waiting at the dealership for me to pick up...  :icon_smile_big:   Thanks for your reply......
Troy