News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What is the purpose of vinyl tops

Started by ACUDANUT, January 23, 2014, 09:42:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hemihead

I can't wait to see what future people will say about some of the extra cost options that people order on the new cars now . Remember factory CB /AM/FM radios ? 8 Track or Cassette players ? I can't wait to hear what people think of CD players , Satellite radio , 18 - 22 in. rims , Goofy vinyl graphics , tinted windows . Will be interesting .
  As far as Petty's Road Runner , he was experimenting with and aerodynamic thing called " Laminar Flow " . Google it .
Lots of people talkin' , few of them know
Soul of a woman was created below
  Led Zeppelin

Tilar

I had a 78 Lincoln Mark V that had a factory AM/FM/CB in it.
Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

Cooter

So if a color break up all your after, I offer matt black PAINT.....
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

fy469rtse

I love the vinyl tops on chargers , triple black car, yes please, waiting for the day when gator grain repopped in white for my 70, and it does look like it came off a gator
Local car I love here, tried to buy one particular damaged car for years, like the mad max coupe but based on the upmarket landau coupe, but the ltd model, padded soft to feel material to roof , head light doors just like a charger this car triple dark blue , owner had put 429 super t 10 in instead of the 351 auto it came with, after he died car just beside the house until one day it went for scrap, she refused to sell , sentimental reasons Wtf and it went for scrap

myk

Quote from: hemihead on January 24, 2014, 06:36:50 PM
I can't wait to see what future people will say about some of the extra cost options that people order on the new cars now . Remember factory CB /AM/FM radios ? 8 Track or Cassette players ? I can't wait to hear what people think of CD players , Satellite radio , 18 - 22 in. rims , Goofy vinyl graphics , tinted windows . Will be interesting .
  As far as Petty's Road Runner , he was experimenting with and aerodynamic thing called " Laminar Flow " . Google it .

Why would anyone say anything about those options, except for how primitive the technology is compared to modern technology?

Cooter

Quote from: myk on January 25, 2014, 07:23:38 AM

Why would anyone say anything about those options, except for how primitive the technology is compared to modern technology?

Thats his whole point Myk. He's saying today, we look back as t those things and laugh...well, there was a time when they were "modern technology".
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Baldwinvette77

Quote from: Cooter on January 25, 2014, 07:36:27 AM

Thats his whole point Myk. He's saying today, we look back as t those things and laugh...well, there was a time when they were "modern technology".

there was a time CD players were considered modern technology, t'was a long time ago  :rotz:
all you need in a radio today is an mp3/ipod hook up, not much else  :coolgleamA:

myk

Quote from: Cooter on January 25, 2014, 07:36:27 AM

I was trying to say how or why would anyone even laugh at that technology.  Well, I guess I don't/wouldn't.  I mean, it's what was available at the time so I don't find any humor in it; I guess some people do and just like fighting in restaurants about football teams, it's just another thing in life I'll never understand...

Cooter

Myk, ever notice people in order to make up for their own inadequacies, will dismiss, laugh at, or ridicule.
Only time these types begin to think twice about respect is when (in the words of a fellow brother once said) have a "life changing moment".

People will attempt to laugh at what they dont understand. Like how revved up some can get at a sports bar, rather than simply trying to calm the situation by a showing of respect for the opposing teams, they escalate it by poking fun. One wouldnt walk into a biker bar and "laugh" at the club's traditions? Right?
Wonder why that is?

Some folks can walk into a situation where the outcome is based solely on their ability to respect the disrespected.
some end up on the floor bleeding.

Ghoste

So are you meaning that anyone who mocks the fad of vinyl tops has an inadequacy issue?

Cooter

Quote from: Ghoste on January 25, 2014, 10:14:41 AM
So are you meaning that anyone who mocks the fad of vinyl tops has an inadequacy issue?

No, just respect in general. Respect is what all fights/arguments/heated debates primarily tend to be over in one way or another. There is a 'correct' respectful way to disagree, then there's the disrespectful way. State your case straight forward with respect and all is good....The minute sarcastic disrespect comes into play, people will learn the hard way...
here in the club, respect is expected. We treat you with plenty, we expect it in return....however, you come through the front door disrespecting any of us, you usually get taught the meaning real quick. I'm one of the few that tends to like posting and debating online. Not all are Neanderthals who get ignorant over respect. I'm a firm believer after an incident with a sledgehammer, a now friend said something that sums up what we believe. "You know, everybody tends to get 30 years outta HS without an asswhoopin and you kinda need reminding that it can still be done. It's humbling I'll tell you that"....

With that all said, most times, we don't have too much trouble with drunks and the like, but every now and then, some just have to learn the hard way like I was explaining to Myk. To the public, it may look like something harsh over something stupid, but to us, respect is everything. The world could take a lesson.

Ghoste

69bronzeT5

My Charger didn't come with a vinyl top....thankfully. The roof is nice and mint just like it should be!

My Duster and Coronet both had vinyl tops originally. Some point in it's life, my Duster had the vinyl top taken off. The car was painted and the top was never put on however they left the vinyl top trim holes for whatever reason. When I bought the car, I filled in all the holes.

My Coronet still had the top on when I bought it however it was peeled up in the corners. Otherwise it wasn't in too bad of shape. I pulled it off to prevent rust from forming underneath.

None of my cars are getting vinyl tops ever again.
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

1974dodgecharger

Well spoken philosophy right there.....

The vinyl top has grown on me personally but I know I could always take it off and reprint but naw...too much hassle.

Quote from: Cooter on January 25, 2014, 08:43:48 AM
Myk, ever notice people in order to make up for their own inadequacies, will dismiss, laugh at, or ridicule.
Only time these types begin to think twice about respect is when (in the words of a fellow brother once said) have a "life changing moment".

People will attempt to laugh at what they dont understand. Like how revved up some can get at a sports bar, rather than simply trying to calm the situation by a showing of respect for the opposing teams, they escalate it by poking fun. One wouldnt walk into a biker bar and "laugh" at the club's traditions? Right?
Wonder why that is?

Some folks can walk into a situation where the outcome is based solely on their ability to respect the disrespected.
some end up on the floor bleeding.

BROCK

Which is more expensive to manufacture? 
  a.  Convertible
  b.  Sedan / Hardtop

Which is least expensive to produce? 
  a.  Tritone body paint
  b.  Vinyl top 
  c.  Monotone body paint

=============================================
Let your music be in transit to the world

lloyd3

Vinyl tops hint at a convertable top and were a marketing tool. I'm not really a fan, but mine has grown on me. Button-fly jeans were a simple and quiet way to get you pants on and off quickly.  Zippers fail, buttons don't. I liked them.

Musicman

Yeah, vinyl tops came out when convertibles were all the rage. The vinyl top gave your car that convertible look... an advertising gimmick yes, but what started as a gimmick became hugely popular back then.
My 67 is still wearing its original vinyl top, and it still looks as good as the day it rolled off the line.

Ghoste

Haha, the one on my 67 has been replaced and looks like crap but I still think it looks great on the car.  Just adds to it in my opinion.

Mike DC

They used to call cars without B-pillars "hardtops" instead of post coupes for the same principle as the vinyl top - it was reminiscent of a convertible with the top up. 

Ghoste

Or pillarless coupes.  Seen that term used as well.

472 R/T SE

Read all #65 threads before lloyd & Musicman stated what I was always told.

cudaken

Quote from: Aero426 on January 24, 2014, 10:39:29 AM
Quote from: Ghoste on January 23, 2014, 10:28:08 PM
Oh I never knew that, I'd always heard the story as vinyl.

Here's a photo of Richard's car.   As you can see, there is no trim at the A-pillar, or on the rear quarter panels.    There are no seams in the roof and no chrome drip rails.    Those little Road Runner decals on the quarters would blow right off if they were attached to vinyl.

Reason Richard Petty tried one is because he is a Golfer. Asked a pro why golf balls had dimples on them? He was told it was because "It makes the ball go farther and straighter" so he gave the Vinyl Top a try.

By self, I think the Charger is the only car that looks as good with or with out a Vinyl Top.

From a body shop point of view, they hied Hail Dents!  :D Easy to replaces hoods and trunks, not roofs!

Cuda Ken
I am back