News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Did anyone plastidip ur car?

Started by euroZ06, January 25, 2014, 07:19:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

euroZ06

3rd gen preffered...

I bought a red car, but not fan of red color....
68 charger, 383, 727, 3.55

1974dodgecharger

Don't think any old chargers have but I was interested for awhile but spent my money on other things
S for the car.

Cooter

" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Ram07

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,106923.0.html

This guy did, there is a link to pics in there....it's a new charger tho...

Just looks like black primer to me...not a huge fan of it.

resq302

the stuff they sell in a can which is liquid rubber.  They used to advertise it for dipping your tool handles and other stuff into similar to what rubber cushion grips come with on tools now.  They recently came out with a sprayable version which is not as thick but advertises that you can peel it off if you get bored with that color and want to put something else on.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

cudaken

Quote from: euroZ06 on January 25, 2014, 07:19:09 AM
3rd gen preffered...

I bought a red car, but not fan of red color....

:rotz:
I am back

polywideblock

and 71 GA4  383 magnum  SE

hatersaurusrex

Look for pics of ones in primer... same effect

Just do it... its pretty cheap and you can go right back if you're u hate it.  Just prep correctly.
[ŌŌ]ƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖ[ŌŌ] = 68
[ŌŌ][ƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖ][ƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖ][ŌŌ] = 69
(ŌŌ)[ƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗ](ŌŌ) = 70

charger Downunder

You can change color by wrapping the car in a big sticker sign writers do it.
[/quote]

1974dodgecharger

Quote from: hatersaurusrex on January 25, 2014, 05:11:20 PM
Look for pics of ones in primer... same effect

Just do it... its pretty cheap and you can go right back if you're u hate it.  Just prep correctly.

As in remove all water spots and what not cause if u dont the moisture a stays under it and then your paint is ruined and or rust.

71_Charger_R/T

My nephew did his rims on his SRT-4. The beauty is, you don't have to scuff your paint for adhesion. Which means if you don't like the results, you can just peel it off and you are back to where you started.....no harm done! The only problem I see is, You cant get a real glossy look even with their gloss additive. If you're not concerned with that....... it's an easy product to work with and can be touched up easily. Check out https://www.dipyourcar.com  and watch some youtube vids......https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QO4Lw98TiUA

Dang it!! For some reason when I insert hyperlinks, it never works out right. I used to have no problems on my PC but ever since going Mac, i've had this trouble.
Can someone help me out there?

BROCK

71_Charger_R/T wrote:
"Dang it..........
https://www.dipyourcar.com/  and watch some youtube vids......https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QO4Lw98TiUA/"  

All I did different was to add a "/" in the ending of each link.  They start with ] [url]  but end with [/url].  

=============================================
Let your music be in transit to the world

71_Charger_R/T

Cool!! Thanks Brock! Now I'll know how to do it right :2thumbs:

cudaken

I watched the video on dipping, should be called "Spray On Coating" and found it interesting.  :scratchchin:  Cost is a lower than good quality paint, but far from being cheap. Bright side is it would hide a lot of flaws in the bodywork.

With it being plastic it would protect the metal better than a primer. Might be the ticket for a car with poor paint.

Far as that beautiful 71 Charger the OP just bought, he would have rocks in his head if he did.  :rotz: What is there not to love about a Red Charger?  :shruggy:

Cuda Ken 

I am back

HeavyFuel

I'm thinking about doing this just down by the rockers, with clear.  Would be nice protection for the paint.

grdprx

I've actually been considering "dipping" the Charger, so that it's all one color. I spent the first 5 years owning it getting it running. I have many things to do before I'll be ready for the $7-10K paint job.. and funds available for the car ain't what they used to be.  I love the car, and don't care what other think of the way it looks. At the same time, I'd like it to look a bit nicer. 
I have a few things I need to do before I have to make a decision on this, but I like the idea.

Cooter

Gonna tell all you guys who are a little gun shy when it comes to paint jobs......

Grab a cheap gun, rent a compressor with a filter/dryer, and buy  your paint. As long as you have enough material on the car, you can wet sand and buff to the shine you want. It's not hard to do..
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

ws23rt

I've come back to this topic several times hoping to get a clue.

To me plastidip is an infomercial product that makes cheap tools feel better in your hand.

Is it also brand name for paint?    If so does it make your car feel better to the touch :shruggy:

Let's hear the sales pitch please.  What does the wonder coating do that we all have been waiting for?

An after thought I had is that the key ingredient could be added to our water.---like fluoride for healthy teeth---- When we wash our cars (or anything for that matter)  :scratchchin:they will be better for it.

jaak

Quote from: ws23rt on January 26, 2014, 09:56:55 PM

To me plastidip is an infomercial product that makes cheap tools feel better in your hand.

Is it also brand name for paint?    If so does it make your car feel better to the touch :shruggy:

Let's hear the sales pitch please.  What does the wonder coating do that we all have been waiting for?

Look it up on Youtube. There are all kinds of vids on it, including from the manufacturer and from regular joes that have tried it out. To me it seems more like a fad for the ricer guys. Seems you can paint your car with it, then pull it off when you get ready. Could be used as a protector, I guess, if you want to protect the original paint. It is a lot cheaper than vinyl wrapping a vehicle.... really last I checked (I was curious) the materials wasn't all that expensive, probably about 300 bucks to do a car. From the vids I've seen it seems like best results are when it is sprayed on the car. It looks like they use an electric sprayer (like a Wagner or something similar). They sell it in spray bombs too, but I have seen 'home' videos where the results didn't come out that well.

I personally don't have a use for it, other than If you wanted to use the spray cans to put temporary graphics on you car or something.
EDIT--- youtube link >>>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNY9Dx617N8

Jason

ws23rt

Hmm---Sounds like a good way to trap all kinds of stuff in crevices and make cleaning/ detailing a car a nightmare.

hatersaurusrex

Quote from: ws23rt on January 26, 2014, 10:24:21 PM
Hmm---Sounds like a good way to trap all kinds of stuff in crevices and make cleaning/ detailing a car a nightmare.

This is what the videos that say 'you can peel it all off!' gloss over.  I did the chromed steel wheels on my CJ7, because I didn't know if I'd like them black and didn't want it permanent.

The spray comes out in tiny little globs.  It will probably never come out of the seams of my rims, but I don't care because they're el-cheapo steel wagons that were rusting around the lugs.   I just wanted them to not look so crappy and I like the blackout look with BFG white letter tires.   If I get rock rash, I can touch it up without any issues.   However, if it weren't just wheels, I'd have masked off everything just like a regular paint job.  I saw a ton of youtube videos where they were just spraying wheels right on the car, not caring that their rotors, etc were right behind the spokes.   As for body panels, I could see it gunking up in a LOT of places - unless that is you masked the whole car off - which is too much work for a 'temporary' paint job.

For a whole car?  Wouldn't do it unless it's a beater.  This is why it's probably popular with the ricer crowd.  You get a custom flat black look on your piece of crap 99 Acura with fart can exhaust.
[ŌŌ]ƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖ[ŌŌ] = 68
[ŌŌ][ƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖ][ƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖ][ŌŌ] = 69
(ŌŌ)[ƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗ](ŌŌ) = 70

six-tee-nine

Quote from: Cooter on January 26, 2014, 09:25:38 PM
Gonna tell all you guys who are a little gun shy when it comes to paint jobs......

Grab a cheap gun, rent a compressor with a filter/dryer, and buy  your paint. As long as you have enough material on the car, you can wet sand and buff to the shine you want. It's not hard to do..

Gonna do just that....

And if it comes around and bites me in the a**, then I'll have some sanding to to and try again, not in a hurry. OK I'm only be paining white
Greetings from Belgium, the beer country

NOS is nice, turbo's are neat, but when it comes to Mopars, there's no need to cheat...

bill440rt

Quote from: ws23rt on January 26, 2014, 09:56:55 PM

I'm with you, ws23rt. I'm not really grasping this whole concept of spraying your car with plastic you can peel off. There's always going to be some crevices where you're not going to be able to remove this stuff.
Spraying the bottoms of the rockers, fenders, or quarter panels behind the wheels with some clear Plastidip might not be a bad idea, to protect against stone chips and stuff. This would be ideal for drag racers that care about their paint jobs, too.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

cudaken

This is the best video I have seen so far about the stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yiNRE6bnRxY

Reason I liked it, poster tells what he does not like, it was not from the company that makes the stuff.

Cuda Ken
I am back

dyslexic teddybear

Quote from: six-tee-nine on January 27, 2014, 07:48:29 AM
Quote from: Cooter on January 26, 2014, 09:25:38 PM

Gonna do just that....

And if it comes around and bites me in the a**, then I'll have some sanding to to and try again, not in a hurry. OK I'm only be paining white

I did, IIRC like 9 paint jobs in my garage back in the early 80s. No doubt paint was cheaper and simpler then, but the actual painting was really easy. I didn't have even a filter/drier on the compressor. Came out decent.

Mytur Binsdirti

Quote from: bill440rt on January 27, 2014, 08:24:02 AM
There's always going to be some crevices where you're not going to be able to remove this stuff.

And the last thing any self respecting man would want is to get somehting in his crevice that shouldn't be there in the first place.

Tilar

Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

dyslexic teddybear

Quote from: Mytur Binsdirti on January 27, 2014, 11:05:25 AM
There's always going to be some crevices where you're not going to be able to remove this stuff.

And the last thing any self respecting man would want is to get somehting in his crevice that shouldn't be there in the first place.

And not be able to remove..... :rotz:

bill440rt

"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

cudaken

Quote from: dyslexic teddybear on January 27, 2014, 11:14:55 AM
Quote from: Mytur Binsdirti on January 27, 2014, 11:05:25 AM

And not be able to remove..... :rotz:

That what Wife's are for!  :D
I am back