News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Axle vent bolt

Started by Windsor, January 24, 2014, 11:08:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Windsor

Could someone tell me what newer vehicles have an axle vent bolt that will fit a 8 3/4" rear end? The junk yard that is closest to me is relatively small, and I am pretty sure the selection will e quite limited when I go there.

Back N Black

CDN72SE

1972 Charger SE

Windsor

Quote from: Back N Black on January 24, 2014, 12:25:56 PM
New one for $ 20.00.
http://www.jacksautoparts.com/catalog/rear.html

Did you check your local UAP/NAPA ?

NAPA had no clue what I was talking about.

Moparparts

I have a good used one with the star washer but there are different lengths for some years and models PM me

Quote from: Windsor on January 24, 2014, 11:08:06 AM
Could someone tell me what newer vehicles have an axle vent bolt that will fit a 8 3/4" rear end? The junk yard that is closest to me is relatively small, and I am pretty sure the selection will e quite limited when I go there.

resq302

I agree on the different lengths.  I replaced mine since it seemed to be clogged with a new repro one and while the threaded part was longer, I didn't think anything of it till I started getting gear oil leaking out of the vent.  It did not happen before with the vent with the shorter threads.  Once I cut down the threads to the proper length that the old one was, no more leaking out of the vent!
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

Dino

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Moparparts

Yes many of the new replacements are the incorrect length

Quote from: resq302 on January 25, 2014, 10:40:09 AM
I agree on the different lengths.  I replaced mine since it seemed to be clogged with a new repro one and while the threaded part was longer, I didn't think anything of it till I started getting gear oil leaking out of the vent.  It did not happen before with the vent with the shorter threads.  Once I cut down the threads to the proper length that the old one was, no more leaking out of the vent!

Back N Black

Quote from: resq302 on January 25, 2014, 10:40:09 AM
That's good to know, i had the same problem when i installed a new vent. How much did you can off the new one?

resq302

It wasn't much.  I just used the old one as a reference and cut off whatever I needed too.  As the Jewish rabbi said..... its just a snip of the tip or a little off the top!   :smilielol:
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

Windsor

Got a used vent bolt from a local junkyard. It was on a seized rear end, so they let me get some other components too. For $6, I got the vent bolt, a pair of good parking brake struts, and a pair of good parking brake arms (the ones that the cables actually attach to. They had a pile of 8.75s, but I couldn't move them by myself to check the ones under the top layer (back injury). I am going to have someone go with me this coming week to see what they have. I know I saw some 741s and a couple 489s. If I can find a 489 or 742 that I can get at a good price, I'll change my 741 out.  Maybe I'll get lucky and find a sure grip.