News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

How far have you personally driven to get parts for your Charger?

Started by 72Charger-SE, January 23, 2014, 11:22:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

6spd68

Furthest I've driven was to actually get my Charger.  From Toronto to Manitoulin Island (7 hours one way) 1140KM (708 Miles) round trip. 
Every great legend has it's humble beginning.
Project 668:
1968 Dodge Charger (318 Car)
Projected Driveline:
383 with mild stroke
Carb intake w/Holley 750 VS

6-Speed Dodge Viper Transmission

Fully rebuilt Dana-60 w/Motive gears. 3.55 Posi, Yukon axles.

Finished in triple black. 

ETA: "Some velvet morning, when I'm straight..."

EccentricMagpies

My son (7 at the time) went 300 some miles one way to pick up '73 parts: (2 doors, fender, trunk lid, counsel)

2 things happened on the way back.

- got clocked for speeding and recieved a ticket in the mail
- stopped for lunch at some drive in.  About an hour from home, I decided to pull over on the hwy to tighten the ropes that were holding things in place.  totally forgetting I had placed my wallet on my lap at the drive in.  Unpacked at home and couldn't find my wallet and thought one possibility was it fell out on the hwy when I stopped to tighten the load.  Decided to wait until morning where i had some daylight to look around the yard where i unloaded.
Next morning I thought I had better drive back.  Sure enough.  Still sitting along the side of the hwy, right where i left it.
'74 Rallye 4spd (WH23L4) (1 of 94)
'74 Rallye Auto (WH23L4) (quad black)
'69 Swinger 340 - 4spd
'70 Duster 340 - 4spd

cavemanno1

Not driven because i can't get any parts around here so had to fly.Was flying from Hungary to Los Angeles then Las Vegas then San Francisco then Hawaii then back to San Francisco then Washington D.C then New York city where i got all my parts!Have to say that was my honeymoon but went there to get my parts as well!Wife was restricted to bring only one suitcase for 5 weeks while she wanted 2.Told her we need the space for the parts :lol:

Came home with 3 suitcases and a gas tank!

69_500

Hmmm, guess the furthest I have driven for a part on my car would be to Alabama and back. Which is not that bad of a drive, about 9 hours one way. Which was fine for me because along the way I ran across an aero car owner and eventually went back to his place to check out his car. Now if we are just talking about going to see cars and document them that's a different story. In the 11 years I have been married I have went to every one of the continental states to look at aero cars. Only states I have not seen an aero car in in Alaska and Hawaii. Been to Hawaii two times but have yet to find an aero car there. Never been to Alaska.

Now that I type this up its easy to figure out why one of our cars has 421,000 miles on it, another has 186,000 and the other two are at 150,000 and 165,00. Guess I should start flying instead of driving everywhere.

ACUDANUT

Quote from: 72Charger-SE on January 23, 2014, 11:22:18 PM
OK....  How many miles have you personally driven to acquire parts for your Charger?

Sorry to those outside the US...  but only miles DRIVEN can be included here. 

I traveled 15 hours to Knoxville, TN (870 miles one way) to pickup rust free fenders for my 72 Charger.

Round trip: 30 Hours : 1740 Miles

I would have waited and found some closer, or meet halfway somewhere...
Anyway for me it was 900 miles round trip...Never again.

timmycharger

Not sure of the exact amount of miles, but Boston area to the Jersey shore to pick up a section of roof. The thing barely fit but was definitely worth the trip!!!  :2thumbs:

72Charger-SE

Quote from: ACUDANUT on January 24, 2014, 02:57:46 PM
Quote from: 72Charger-SE on January 23, 2014, 11:22:18 PM
OK....  How many miles have you personally driven to acquire parts for your Charger?

Sorry to those outside the US...  but only miles DRIVEN can be included here. 

I traveled 15 hours to Knoxville, TN (870 miles one way) to pickup rust free fenders for my 72 Charger.

Round trip: 30 Hours : 1740 Miles

A person can't always wait for the part to come available locally.  Especially when you are looking for something 'rust free' in the ice/snow region of the good old USA... :)  Truth be told it was a 'crazy trip'.  But that is part of this Charger's story... :)

I would have waited and found some closer, or meet halfway somewhere...
Anyway for me it was 900 miles round trip...Never again.

jaak

I haven't been real far maybe 4 hrs or so one way has been the farthest I been. I had plan on going to the southern part of Illinois one time to buy something that just had a great price, but the guy on here kept putting me off he couldn't do it this day because of this, couldn't do this day because of that. Finally just gave up on him. But I'm always up for a road trip when it comes to stuff. One morning looking on CL I ran across a 360/727 dirt cheap, and it was about a 3 hr. drive. So I called in to work, took a leave day, drove up and picked 'em up. Didn't really need them, but too good of deal to not go and get. A few months later is when I bought my 68, so I plan on putting them in it.

Jason

polywideblock

not the charger but the 60 dodge drove to the middle of Australia just about (in between Dubbo and Nyngan ) 18 hours one way   :eek2:  to pick up a parts car  towing car trailer,  2 days to get home 

and 71 GA4  383 magnum  SE

72Charger-SE

Quote from: polywideblock on January 24, 2014, 05:35:08 PM
not the charger but the 60 dodge drove to the middle of Australia just about (in between Dubbo and Nyngan ) 18 hours one way   :eek2:  to pick up a parts car  towing car trailer,  2 days to get home 

WOW... that is a LONG WAY!

ralley72

I drove about 800 miles round trip to pick up very nice interior pieces and a great set of R/T taillights for my 71 500. Another time I had to make 2 trips to get a 73 Rallye Charger 340 4 speed, a grand total of about 2000 miles. The company I was working for paid a little over half of that mileage. Funny thing about that 73, the guy that wanted that car bad took it back to the area I found it. For good parts I need, I prefer to drive to get them instead of shipping, plus you never know what you might find along the way.

Mike
1973 Roadrunner 400 mag. 4 sp