News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

How far have you personally driven to get parts for your Charger?

Started by 72Charger-SE, January 23, 2014, 11:22:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

72Charger-SE

OK....  How many miles have you personally driven to acquire parts for your Charger?

Sorry to those outside the US...  but only miles DRIVEN can be included here. 

I traveled 15 hours to Knoxville, TN (870 miles one way) to pickup rust free fenders for my 72 Charger.

Round trip: 30 Hours : 1740 Miles

green69rt

72Charger-SE

Quote from: green69rt on January 23, 2014, 11:27:17 PM
Houston to Shreveport LA.  Maybe 500 mile round trip??

What part(s) were you picking up?  For which car(s)?

green69rt

Misc parts for a 69 Charger.  The guy had a big bunch of parts out of which I really wanted  the gas tank skids.  The total cost was ok if I picked them up myself but not if I had them delivered.   When I got there the guy offered me some powder coated suspension parts that I also got for an extra $50 so probably a good deal.  8 hrs of my time and one tank of gas...who knows??

72Charger-SE

69GreenRT...   I forgot when I picked up my fenders in Tennessee that the guy had a rust free complete rear bumper with brackets for a 73 Charger that he 'threw in' on the deal.  Additionally, he made steel yard ornaments and my wife liked the 'arbor' he built so we bought that as well. 

tsmithae

600 miles one way to drop of a quarter panel and pick up a really nice decklid.  I pulled off the round trip in one day by myself, 1200 miles total and around 20 hours driving.
Check out my full thread and progress here.

http://www.1970chargerregistry.com/mboard/index.php?topic=119.0

don duick

charger01

Not Me, but I had a guy come up from miami florida to above cinci ohio for a 70 k frame i sold him on ebay.  Thats about 18 hours or more.  His car got parted out while in the bodyshop.

kab69440

Marion, OH to Eagle Grove, IA and back. A pair of doors and a decklid. For the asking price, I bought them " just in case...". Straight through trip stopping only for fuel and eats. Got home and died on the couch.
Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not;  a sense of humor to console him for what he is.      Francis Bacon

WANT TO BUY:
Looking for a CD by  'The Sub-Mersians'  entitled "Raw Love Songs From My Garage To Your Bedroom"

Also, any of the various surf-revival compilation albums this band has contributed to.
Thank you,    Kenny

Jesus drove a Honda. He wasn't proud of it, though...
John 12: 49     "...for I did not speak of my own Accord."

odcics2

I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

tan top

70 miles for a  original working AM thumbwheel radio & twin snorkel air cleaner
40ish miles for  pair of   bucket seats with head rests  out of a rolled 69 roadrunner also a  dash pad ,   accelerator pedal  &  front shoulder belts .

58 miles  to strip the below parts off a rotted out 69 charger 318  white hat special  Y4 tan interior , white top .
for  OEM 69 tinted passenger door vent glass , one coat hook ( rubber part )( yeah had a black headlining  :shruggy: :scratchchin:) ,  driver side under dash fresh air vent cable , k frame to core support bracket , floor pan & trunk pan plugs , windshield washer hose &  over flow hose , cigarette lighter , glove box lock

*** drip rail mouldings / belt mouldings & S81 steering wheel , did not need these only bought because they were still on the car **  just in case type thing  :P
should of got the mint grill at the time , went back the week after , grill had gone  :brickwall: :lol: :icon_smile_blackeye:
all the above was  over 24 years ago  :P :lol:

about 14ish years ago 120 miles for a OEM  front valance ( original would of taken too long to repair original was a bit squashed an distorted around the turn signal housing , was the last part to repair doing the resto & could not be bothered any more  :lol:)
 also  left side front frame rail plastic splash shield

8 years ago 110 miles  for a pair of 452 heads , good used cores  :yesnod:
8 years ago  3 miles for a nother glove box lock to recode to my key  :P
everything else has been delivered etc

all above were oneway distances ,  on return seldom went the same way would visit other places & look at other stuff or stop off & visit fellow mopar buddies  , or general sight seeing or finding suitable food places  & even getting lost  :P :lol:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

chargerboy69

Indiana Army National Guard 1st Battalion, 293rd Infantry. Nightfighters. Fort Wayne Indiana.

A government big enough to give you everything you need, is a government big enough to take away everything that you have.
--Gerald Ford

bill440rt

NJ to OH for a pair of quarters.
Went to MA twice for stuff when restoring my '69. And upstate NY for a fender.

Like Charger01, not me but I had a guy drive from VA to NJ once to pick up a small block trans from me. Thought that was odd for a fairly common item. And, he threw it right on the back seat of his old Nissan Altima and then proceeded to take a pi$$ in my woods.   :yesnod:   :image_294343:   :lol:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

bakerhillpins

Does driving to the Chrysler Nationals at Carlisle count? That's 7.5 hrs one way.  Other than that at this point I have driven farther to pick up the the car in southern CT, 3.5hrs one way, (I guess that's a "part") than the 69 440 block I just got in Central CT which was 2.5 hrs one way.

One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

myk

Back N Black

600 miles round trip to pick up a drivers side fender for my charger, only to find out later the fender was junk!

Dino

A two hour trip north of Detroit to pick up a trunk floor and within 5 miles of that the 2.96 pig that I'm running.  I have to say I was glad to be back home because it was almost time for brunch.   :icon_smile_big:
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

HeavyFuel

Just outside of the town I live in.  A local dude has bookoo dodge/Chrysler parts. Specialized in the muscle car stuff.  

When I bought my car from him, (long time ago, but still...) I remember he had fenders stacked on end by the dozens. Dash clusters and complete dashes ran up the walls probably 30 or 40 easy. He had 5 gallon buckets of things like window cranks.   :o  

He's been doing this business from his home for probably 30 or so years.  It' s hard to imagine the $$ in parts the guy has moved, and the service he's done for the hobby by saving cars from the crusher, selling the good ones and stripping down the basket cases.    :2thumbs:

I bet some of the cars he stripped 20 years ago would have been nice resto candidates now......but how do you know?    

Anyway...good guy to have close by.   Sorry for the ramble.

Dino

Quote from: HeavyFuel on January 24, 2014, 09:04:11 AM
Just outside of the town I live in.  A local dude has bookoo dodge/Chrysler parts. Specialized in the muscle car stuff.  

When I bought my car from him, (long time ago, but still...) I remember he had fenders stacked on end by the dozens. Dash clusters and complete dashes ran up the walls probably 30 or 40 easy. He had 5 gallon buckets of things like window cranks.   :o  

He's been doing this business from his home for probably 30 or so years.  It' s hard to imagine the $$ in parts the guy has moved, and the service he's done for the hobby by saving cars from the crusher, selling the good ones and stripping down the basket cases.    :2thumbs:

I bet some of the cars he stripped 20 years ago would have been nice resto candidates now......but how do you know?    

Anyway...good guy to have close by.   Sorry for the ramble.

Make room in your garage, I'm moving in.   :lol:
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Ghoste

Great question.  Not counting the Mopar Nationals because I was going there anyway even though I've gone with specific Charger part lists, I would say about a 6 or 8 hour round trip.

hemigeno

Cumulatively, I would hate to add up all the miles travelled over 10 years while scrounging parts for the Daytona (another 5 years for the R/T).

From Missouri I've been to Iowa, Illinois, Wisconsin, Indiana, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Virginia, and Tennessee all at least once (on separate trips) plus Michigan several times.  Sometimes my roadtrips were for research moreso than picking up parts; and that list includes MORE trips to Michigan, Wisconsin, Indiana and all over Missouri itself - plus Toronto.

OK, now I'm depressed.

Ghoste

I can't touch yours but I don't want to think about accumulated miles either. :lol:

(although an awful lot of them did turn out to be great adventures)

hemigeno

Quote from: Ghoste on January 24, 2014, 10:42:33 AM
(although an awful lot of them did turn out to be great adventures)

That's the best part of it all!!!

:2thumbs:

Troy

I love road trips and have made some pretty long ones for parts. I recently got back from a "short" 700 mile trip (15 hours total) which, I believe is my longest trip that only involved parts. I believe my longest trip overall was just under 1,800 miles but I also got a car at the same time. Second longest (also involving a car) was 1,650 and third (car only) was 1,400. In the past I've made many, many "day trips" to Detroit, St Louis, Chicago, West Virginia, Tennessee, and the middle of nowhere in Alabama. Thinking back on it I should have probably just learned to play golf as a hobby!

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

72Charger-SE

I have only been in the 'hobby' for three years this March...   In that short time I have traveled from North Central Iowa to Knoxville, TN, Kansas City, KS (to find the parts I was about to buy had been stolen), North West Minnesota for a 440 Block and many engine parts & accessories, Des Moines, IA for the base of what is now my fully functional rotisserie, and Minneapolis, MN for parts that were not for my car (I should have researched a bit more) :brickwall:? as well as a new air compressor (separate trips).  I agree that the 'trips' are the best part of this hobby.  My wife has traveled with me and the memories and fun along the way are the best part!    Not sure about you guys and gals but I have mostly used Craigslist to find the parts I need...  What a great resource!