News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What is the purpose of vinyl tops

Started by ACUDANUT, January 23, 2014, 09:42:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ACUDANUT

Yes we like them, but in reality all they do is rot and flap away.  What were they thinking...Putting cloth on top of metal back in the day.

Ghoste

Appearance and charging a little more money.   

Aero426

They also were not expected to last 40 years.

Ghoste

polywideblock

thought  they insulated the roof, keeping car cooler in sunshine

and 71 GA4  383 magnum  SE

ACUDANUT

Quote from: Aero426 on January 23, 2014, 09:49:31 PM
Shoot, they did not last 5 years.

Ghoste

Probably not much insulating with a black top.

ws23rt

It was a showroom car not meant to last long. Style options that the salesman could work with :Twocents:

They would say stuff like your neighbor will want one. :lol:

ACUDANUT

You don't see cloth on metal these days.  To off set the color, why not use another color instead of cloth.

Ghoste

It was an offshoot of the fake convertible tops I suppose.

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: ACUDANUT on January 23, 2014, 09:51:00 PM
Quote from: Aero426 on January 23, 2014, 09:49:31 PM
Shoot, they did not last 5 years.

I have two  69 Chargers in my garage and they both have nice original tops on them. One is better than the other ,but they are both good. No rust under them either. Not the norm,but I thought worth mentioning.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

Ram07

what was the meaning of button fly jeans, was it not a fad?

polywideblock

button fly jeans were put on this earth to make pissed people piss themselves while trying to get it out   :yesnod:

Ghoste

1974dodgecharger

Aero426

Quote from: ACUDANUT on January 23, 2014, 10:01:50 PM
You don't see cloth on metal these days.  To off set the color, why not use another color instead of cloth.

Sometimes they did, but a vinyl top would be considered a step up from that.

Ghoste

And on at least one occasion it helped Petty mess with some competitors heads.

Aero426

Vinyl tops are like many of the other marketing things to sell cars that have come and gone.   Wide whitewalls,   whitewalls of ANY kind,  1990's gold anodized trim, fake convertible tops,  landau bars,  plush velour interiors,  80's body cladding.    I'm sure you could go on for quite a bit.  

Aero426

Quote from: Ghoste on January 23, 2014, 10:23:35 PM
And on at least one occasion it helped Petty mess with some competitors heads.

Yes, and it still messes with peoples heads today, because the vinyl wasn't really vinyl.   It was a textured paint. 

Ghoste

Oh I never knew that, I'd always heard the story as vinyl.

polywideblock

nothing to do with chargers but who remembers the model A "special " or sport coupes ? cloth roof  with the fake landau bars on the sides to look like a carriage roof  from a horse and sulky  :scratchchin:  bet this was the "first "  and where all the rest to follow came from

Ghoste

I'd have to look but I think it predated the Model A by quite a bit. :scratchchin:

Nacho-RT74

something fashion back in the days ( and if you ask me, still now )
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

flyinlow

In the words of Petula Clark, " It's a sign of the times".

Ram07

Quote from: polywideblock on January 23, 2014, 10:12:40 PM
button fly jeans were put on this earth to make pissed people piss themselves while trying to get it out   :yesnod:

:lol:...yes... :yesnod:

I thought Vinyl tops looked cool...little touch of class...

Kinda miss those days...even the two tone paint jobs, and colour matching interiors...but...

Thats got nothing to do with your question, so i'll just go back in my corner... ;D