News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What is the purpose of vinyl tops

Started by ACUDANUT, January 23, 2014, 09:42:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ACUDANUT

Yes we like them, but in reality all they do is rot and flap away.  What were they thinking...Putting cloth on top of metal back in the day.

Ghoste

Appearance and charging a little more money.   

Aero426

They also were not expected to last 40 years.

Ghoste

polywideblock

thought  they insulated the roof, keeping car cooler in sunshine

and 71 GA4  383 magnum  SE

ACUDANUT

Quote from: Aero426 on January 23, 2014, 09:49:31 PM
Shoot, they did not last 5 years.

Ghoste

Probably not much insulating with a black top.

ws23rt

It was a showroom car not meant to last long. Style options that the salesman could work with :Twocents:

They would say stuff like your neighbor will want one. :lol:

ACUDANUT

You don't see cloth on metal these days.  To off set the color, why not use another color instead of cloth.

Ghoste

It was an offshoot of the fake convertible tops I suppose.

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: ACUDANUT on January 23, 2014, 09:51:00 PM

I have two  69 Chargers in my garage and they both have nice original tops on them. One is better than the other ,but they are both good. No rust under them either. Not the norm,but I thought worth mentioning.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

Ram07

what was the meaning of button fly jeans, was it not a fad?

polywideblock

button fly jeans were put on this earth to make pissed people piss themselves while trying to get it out   :yesnod:

Ghoste

1974dodgecharger

Aero426

Quote from: ACUDANUT on January 23, 2014, 10:01:50 PM
You don't see cloth on metal these days.  To off set the color, why not use another color instead of cloth.

Sometimes they did, but a vinyl top would be considered a step up from that.

Ghoste

And on at least one occasion it helped Petty mess with some competitors heads.

Aero426

Vinyl tops are like many of the other marketing things to sell cars that have come and gone.   Wide whitewalls,   whitewalls of ANY kind,  1990's gold anodized trim, fake convertible tops,  landau bars,  plush velour interiors,  80's body cladding.    I'm sure you could go on for quite a bit.  

Aero426

Quote from: Ghoste on January 23, 2014, 10:23:35 PM
And on at least one occasion it helped Petty mess with some competitors heads.

Yes, and it still messes with peoples heads today, because the vinyl wasn't really vinyl.   It was a textured paint. 

Ghoste

Oh I never knew that, I'd always heard the story as vinyl.

polywideblock

nothing to do with chargers but who remembers the model A "special " or sport coupes ? cloth roof  with the fake landau bars on the sides to look like a carriage roof  from a horse and sulky  :scratchchin:  bet this was the "first "  and where all the rest to follow came from

Ghoste

I'd have to look but I think it predated the Model A by quite a bit. :scratchchin:

Nacho-RT74

something fashion back in the days ( and if you ask me, still now )
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

flyinlow

In the words of Petula Clark, " It's a sign of the times".

Ram07

Quote from: polywideblock on January 23, 2014, 10:12:40 PM
button fly jeans were put on this earth to make pissed people piss themselves while trying to get it out   :yesnod:

:lol:...yes... :yesnod:

I thought Vinyl tops looked cool...little touch of class...

Kinda miss those days...even the two tone paint jobs, and colour matching interiors...but...

Thats got nothing to do with your question, so i'll just go back in my corner... ;D

Sublime/Sixpack

Quote from: Charger-Bodie on January 23, 2014, 10:08:31 PM

I have two  69 Chargers in my garage and they both have nice original tops on them. One is better than the other ,but they are both good. No rust under them either. Not the norm,but I thought worth mentioning.

Same here, the vinyl top on my '70 Charger is original and in very good condition. Not all of these cars were ran into the ground, some were cared for through the years.

And yes, they were something different and added a bit of class to cars back then. Although not everyone liked them, many people did.
1970 Sublime R/T, 440 Six Pack, Four speed, Super Track Pak

Mike DC

Vinyl tops were installed to create a market for replacement roof skins 45 years later.

don duick

It was probably cheaper than preparing the roof for painting.

69white hat

I LOVE my vinyl top. I looked on line for months trying to find the charger for me. When I finally found it, I triumphantly showed my wife a pic of this 69 White hat special. She took one look and said, "That's the car your gonna buy? It is sooo not you!That roof is sooo ugly!! It's a grandpa car!!"  Well I knew it was the right car, That vinyl roof and the white interior and white R/T stripe jsut made that car pop for me. And when I got it home, She took one look at it and Just said "WOW. That is BEAUTIFUL." It was a righteuos feeling and I'm really happy I stuck to my guns and followed my instincts. Now when we roll through town she says she feels like a rockstar. The Vinyl adds a defintite touch of class.

68X426

The vinyl top is the toupee of the car world.  Like we don't know what's going on.

They serve no purpose, everybody snickers, no one wants to be around one.

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

bill440rt

Like anything else, an automotive trend. Like vinyl woodgrain sticker overlays. WTF is up with that?  :eek2: :lol:

I'm one of those that prefer vinyl tops also, but it depends on the car. Like Brian, my cars didn't suffer any severe roof rot either. Maybe I just got lucky.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

Ghoste

I like them too and the Charger lends itself well to them.  I have two now with it.  :o

Aero426

Quote from: Ghoste on January 23, 2014, 10:28:08 PM

Here's a photo of Richard's car.   As you can see, there is no trim at the A-pillar, or on the rear quarter panels.    There are no seams in the roof and no chrome drip rails.    Those little Road Runner decals on the quarters would blow right off if they were attached to vinyl.

Ghoste

Did he intend it as a red herring or was it just done to look cool and turned into something else?

Aero426

They definitely worked over the windshield area of that car.   For several reasons, including a sort of belly pan, Richard's Plymouth qualified 3 to 5 mph faster than all the other Chrysler cars, including the Chargers.  The roof skin began to separate during the race.   That is the photo where Richard is out of the car banging the roof down with a hammer.   They duct taped over where the skin had separated.    

Aero426

Kinda sorta cheated up.

Silver R/T

I do NOT like them, keep them on New Yorkers and other grandma cars. If not for vinyl top I probably wouldn't have rust in corners on my Charger.
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Ghoste

Oh I bet you would, there are plenty of rust prone areas on these cars that have nothing to do with vinyl tops.

Silver R/T

Surprisingly my Charger was fairly rust free, except for corners where vinyl top sits and lower quarter panels, some surface rust on trunk floor. Maybe it has to do with fairly dry climate we have here in eastern WA.
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Tilar

When I sold my 73 Duster probably 10 years ago it had it's original snake skin looking top on it, and it still looked pretty good even for being in the Texas sun all its life.
Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

6pkrtse

I do not like them. I prefer a Charger without them but have owned many of them both ways. If the deal is right such as my red car was I have learned to live with it.
1963 Belvedere 413 Max Wedge
1970 Charger R/T S.E. 440 sixpack.
1970 Challenger R/T Drag Radial 528 Hemi
1970 Charger 500 S.E. 440 4 BBL
1970 Road Runner 383 4 BBL
1974 Chrysler New Yorker 440 4 BBL
1996 Dodge Ram 2500 V-10 488 cu in.
2004 Dodge Ram 3500 CTD Dually 6x6
2012 Challenger R/T Classic

Cooter

It was a fad nothing more, nothing less. Just like those stupid padded tops everybody wanted 15 years ago.
some will try just about anything for the "look at me" or "its something different". Thing without giving one minutes thought to practicality.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

jaak

From day 1 of starting my 69 Charger, my intention was NOT to have a vinyl top. But after years of looking at photos of different Chargers I started liking them. So when I decided to paint my car FJ6, I new with it being a bright color, it needed something to break it up, so I decided I wanted to put black vinyl to match the stripe. If it was painted a darker color, I might have skipped putting a top on it, but I love it with the black on bright green.

Jason

ACUDANUT

Yea, I must agree. It breaks up the solid color and does look better.  It's just odd, to put cloth on the exterior of a car.
BTW, for you 2nd Gen Charger owners, always blow that water out of the rear glass trim. That is what causes your rust in that area. It holds lots of water. :Twocents:

Aero426

Quote from: ACUDANUT on January 24, 2014, 03:04:56 PM
It's just odd, to put cloth on the exterior of a car.

OK, how about leather then?

ACUDANUT

For that car, Leather would help with the sharp and uncomfortable shaped edges of a door frame.  Much like old WWI aircraft.  It protected you.

timmycharger

I know my upholsterer wasn't too fond of them, he said if he knew what a pain it was to work with the C pillars, he would have changed his estimate!  oh well.. I know what he means, I did one about 10 years ago on another Charger and nearly broke my wrists from stretching it...  :icon_smile_big:

Ghoste

When the miracle product vinyl was invented more than a couple of very high end cars were covered in the amazing stuff.

Chargen69

I always thought it was to cover the hack job between the roof and the quarters :2thumbs:

Ghoste

hemihead

I can't wait to see what future people will say about some of the extra cost options that people order on the new cars now . Remember factory CB /AM/FM radios ? 8 Track or Cassette players ? I can't wait to hear what people think of CD players , Satellite radio , 18 - 22 in. rims , Goofy vinyl graphics , tinted windows . Will be interesting .
  As far as Petty's Road Runner , he was experimenting with and aerodynamic thing called " Laminar Flow " . Google it .
Lots of people talkin' , few of them know
Soul of a woman was created below
  Led Zeppelin

Tilar

I had a 78 Lincoln Mark V that had a factory AM/FM/CB in it.
Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

Cooter

So if a color break up all your after, I offer matt black PAINT.....
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

fy469rtse

I love the vinyl tops on chargers , triple black car, yes please, waiting for the day when gator grain repopped in white for my 70, and it does look like it came off a gator
Local car I love here, tried to buy one particular damaged car for years, like the mad max coupe but based on the upmarket landau coupe, but the ltd model, padded soft to feel material to roof , head light doors just like a charger this car triple dark blue , owner had put 429 super t 10 in instead of the 351 auto it came with, after he died car just beside the house until one day it went for scrap, she refused to sell , sentimental reasons Wtf and it went for scrap

myk

Quote from: hemihead on January 24, 2014, 06:36:50 PM
I can't wait to see what future people will say about some of the extra cost options that people order on the new cars now . Remember factory CB /AM/FM radios ? 8 Track or Cassette players ? I can't wait to hear what people think of CD players , Satellite radio , 18 - 22 in. rims , Goofy vinyl graphics , tinted windows . Will be interesting .
  As far as Petty's Road Runner , he was experimenting with and aerodynamic thing called " Laminar Flow " . Google it .

Why would anyone say anything about those options, except for how primitive the technology is compared to modern technology?

Cooter

Quote from: myk on January 25, 2014, 07:23:38 AM

Why would anyone say anything about those options, except for how primitive the technology is compared to modern technology?

Thats his whole point Myk. He's saying today, we look back as t those things and laugh...well, there was a time when they were "modern technology".

Baldwinvette77

Quote from: Cooter on January 25, 2014, 07:36:27 AM

Thats his whole point Myk. He's saying today, we look back as t those things and laugh...well, there was a time when they were "modern technology".

there was a time CD players were considered modern technology, t'was a long time ago  :rotz:
all you need in a radio today is an mp3/ipod hook up, not much else  :coolgleamA:

myk

Quote from: Cooter on January 25, 2014, 07:36:27 AM

I was trying to say how or why would anyone even laugh at that technology.  Well, I guess I don't/wouldn't.  I mean, it's what was available at the time so I don't find any humor in it; I guess some people do and just like fighting in restaurants about football teams, it's just another thing in life I'll never understand...

Cooter

Myk, ever notice people in order to make up for their own inadequacies, will dismiss, laugh at, or ridicule.
Only time these types begin to think twice about respect is when (in the words of a fellow brother once said) have a "life changing moment".

People will attempt to laugh at what they dont understand. Like how revved up some can get at a sports bar, rather than simply trying to calm the situation by a showing of respect for the opposing teams, they escalate it by poking fun. One wouldnt walk into a biker bar and "laugh" at the club's traditions? Right?
Wonder why that is?

Some folks can walk into a situation where the outcome is based solely on their ability to respect the disrespected.
some end up on the floor bleeding.

Ghoste

So are you meaning that anyone who mocks the fad of vinyl tops has an inadequacy issue?

Cooter

Quote from: Ghoste on January 25, 2014, 10:14:41 AM
So are you meaning that anyone who mocks the fad of vinyl tops has an inadequacy issue?

No, just respect in general. Respect is what all fights/arguments/heated debates primarily tend to be over in one way or another. There is a 'correct' respectful way to disagree, then there's the disrespectful way. State your case straight forward with respect and all is good....The minute sarcastic disrespect comes into play, people will learn the hard way...
here in the club, respect is expected. We treat you with plenty, we expect it in return....however, you come through the front door disrespecting any of us, you usually get taught the meaning real quick. I'm one of the few that tends to like posting and debating online. Not all are Neanderthals who get ignorant over respect. I'm a firm believer after an incident with a sledgehammer, a now friend said something that sums up what we believe. "You know, everybody tends to get 30 years outta HS without an asswhoopin and you kinda need reminding that it can still be done. It's humbling I'll tell you that"....

With that all said, most times, we don't have too much trouble with drunks and the like, but every now and then, some just have to learn the hard way like I was explaining to Myk. To the public, it may look like something harsh over something stupid, but to us, respect is everything. The world could take a lesson.

Ghoste

69bronzeT5

My Charger didn't come with a vinyl top....thankfully. The roof is nice and mint just like it should be!

My Duster and Coronet both had vinyl tops originally. Some point in it's life, my Duster had the vinyl top taken off. The car was painted and the top was never put on however they left the vinyl top trim holes for whatever reason. When I bought the car, I filled in all the holes.

My Coronet still had the top on when I bought it however it was peeled up in the corners. Otherwise it wasn't in too bad of shape. I pulled it off to prevent rust from forming underneath.

None of my cars are getting vinyl tops ever again.
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

1974dodgecharger

Well spoken philosophy right there.....

The vinyl top has grown on me personally but I know I could always take it off and reprint but naw...too much hassle.

Quote from: Cooter on January 25, 2014, 08:43:48 AM
Myk, ever notice people in order to make up for their own inadequacies, will dismiss, laugh at, or ridicule.
Only time these types begin to think twice about respect is when (in the words of a fellow brother once said) have a "life changing moment".

People will attempt to laugh at what they dont understand. Like how revved up some can get at a sports bar, rather than simply trying to calm the situation by a showing of respect for the opposing teams, they escalate it by poking fun. One wouldnt walk into a biker bar and "laugh" at the club's traditions? Right?
Wonder why that is?

Some folks can walk into a situation where the outcome is based solely on their ability to respect the disrespected.
some end up on the floor bleeding.

BROCK

Which is more expensive to manufacture? 
  a.  Convertible
  b.  Sedan / Hardtop

Which is least expensive to produce? 
  a.  Tritone body paint
  b.  Vinyl top 
  c.  Monotone body paint

=============================================
Let your music be in transit to the world

lloyd3

Vinyl tops hint at a convertable top and were a marketing tool. I'm not really a fan, but mine has grown on me. Button-fly jeans were a simple and quiet way to get you pants on and off quickly.  Zippers fail, buttons don't. I liked them.

Musicman

Yeah, vinyl tops came out when convertibles were all the rage. The vinyl top gave your car that convertible look... an advertising gimmick yes, but what started as a gimmick became hugely popular back then.
My 67 is still wearing its original vinyl top, and it still looks as good as the day it rolled off the line.

Ghoste

Haha, the one on my 67 has been replaced and looks like crap but I still think it looks great on the car.  Just adds to it in my opinion.

Mike DC

They used to call cars without B-pillars "hardtops" instead of post coupes for the same principle as the vinyl top - it was reminiscent of a convertible with the top up. 

Ghoste

Or pillarless coupes.  Seen that term used as well.

472 R/T SE

Read all #65 threads before lloyd & Musicman stated what I was always told.

cudaken

Quote from: Aero426 on January 24, 2014, 10:39:29 AM
Quote from: Ghoste on January 23, 2014, 10:28:08 PM

Here's a photo of Richard's car.   As you can see, there is no trim at the A-pillar, or on the rear quarter panels.    There are no seams in the roof and no chrome drip rails.    Those little Road Runner decals on the quarters would blow right off if they were attached to vinyl.

Reason Richard Petty tried one is because he is a Golfer. Asked a pro why golf balls had dimples on them? He was told it was because "It makes the ball go farther and straighter" so he gave the Vinyl Top a try.

By self, I think the Charger is the only car that looks as good with or with out a Vinyl Top.

From a body shop point of view, they hied Hail Dents!  :D Easy to replaces hoods and trunks, not roofs!

Cuda Ken
I am back