News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

No vinyl top...Should I keep the vinyl top trim?

Started by Dreamcar, January 23, 2014, 08:57:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

No vinyl top...Should I keep the vinyl top trim?

Yes, keep the trim on the car
9 (22.5%)
No, lose the trim and fill the holes
31 (77.5%)

Total Members Voted: 40

Dreamcar

Eventually, I'll need to decide whether or not I'll be reinstalling a vinyl top once the car gets painted. If I go without it, do you think I should keep the vinyl top trim/molding? If I do, do you think it will just look like something is missing? For those of you wondering, it's a none numbers matching, non-RT, so I don't really have to worry about originality.

I'm curious to see what you think...please vote.

I'm a long way from having to make a final decision, but it's -30F outside and I'm bored so I always start thinking about my future plans for my Charger. Spring can't come soon enough.
"And another thing, when I gun the motor, I want people to think the world is coming to an end." - Homer Simpson

1969 Charger, 383, Q5/V1W, A35, H51, N88,  numbers match (under restoration)

bakerhillpins

Dump the trim and fill in the holes. Chargers with no vinyl are sweet.  :drool5:   :2thumbs:
One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

ws23rt

Your post seems to ask if you should keep the trim in the event you chose to not use it.

I'm not one to toss stuff like this even though finding someone that needs it is time consuming and that adds up to money

If you chose to not use the trim I suggest you hide it in the car for a future owner. It could be appreciated.

Maybe even add some other goodies and a note :lol:   I time capsule of sorts.

bill440rt

I prefer vinyl over the hardtop.  :yesnod:
But, if you're going to lose the vinyl then yes lose the trim too. If you keep the trim people may then ask "When ya gonna paint it orange??"  :lol:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

Dreamcar

Quote from: ws23rt on January 23, 2014, 09:13:15 PM
Your post seems to ask if you should keep the trim in the event you chose to not use it.

I'm not one to toss stuff like this even though finding someone that needs it is time consuming and that adds up to money

If you chose to not use the trim I suggest you hide it in the car for a future owner. It could be appreciated.

Maybe even add some other goodies and a note :lol:   I time capsule of sorts.

Sorry. To clarify, I'm wondering if I should reinstall the trim even if I don't reinstall the vinyl top. I would never just toss it away if not used.
"And another thing, when I gun the motor, I want people to think the world is coming to an end." - Homer Simpson

1974dodgecharger

Quote from: bakerhillpins on January 23, 2014, 09:12:30 PM
Dump the trim and fill in the holes. Chargers with no vinyl are sweet.  :drool5:   :2thumbs:

I agree with the vinyl your limited in my opinion the rims u can get.  No vinly looks good with all rims.

Ghoste

I used to like the look of the trim even without the vinyl but these days I have to vote for filling the holes.

ACUDANUT

Some the D.O.H cars have the trim still in place. Put in back on.

Kern Dog

Quote from: bakerhillpins on January 23, 2014, 09:12:30 PM

Some people really dig the vinyl tops. My car originally had one. I chose to go skinless when I restored mine. I welded over the holes and gave the moldings away. Maybe you could save your moldings in case you change your mind and want to install a top later on.

marshallfry01

I  vote to put the trim back on. I like the way a hard top looks with the vinyl top trim. :2thumbs:  But i'm also a fan of the general lee..... :nana:
1969 Charger 383/auto
1969 Charger R/T 440/auto (waiting to be restored)
1972 Chevelle SS clone 383 sbc
1959 Chevy Apache short bed stepside
1968 Charger (glorified parts car)
Yes, I know I have too many cars. My wife reminds me daily.

A383Wing

my car had vinyl top, left the top off, but put the trim back on

(runs in different crowd here)

Sublime/Sixpack

I voted to leave the trim off if you don't put the vinyl back on. Without the vinyl the trim really serves no purpose, except to interrupt the beautiful flowing lines on the Chargers sail panel into the quarter panel. :Twocents:
1970 Sublime R/T, 440 Six Pack, Four speed, Super Track Pak

don duick

It will look too bland without the strips. My charger was a non vinyl roof car and never had them. I bought a set and drilled holes to install them. I wanted them that bad. I then went a bit further and painted the roof satin black. I like two tone but I also don't like vinyl.

JB400

I agree with what Don did.  Leave the trim on, just paint the roof to resemble a vinyl roof.  It was optional on the Coronets, don't know why it wasn't on the Charger.  I don't think the Coronets had a satin finished roof though.  I believe they were gloss.

Vector

If you don't put vinyl back on the roof definitely leave off the chrome trim.

tan top

put a vinyl back on  :lol: ;)   :drool5:
 just kidding chargers look just as awesome with or with out vinyl tops ,
 they look good with or with out mouldings too  :yesnod:
think I would put the mouldings back ! think its growing up as a kid watching DMCL & the charger in that had the vinyl top removed with mouldings  :drool5: :yesnod:

not much help  am I  :slap:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

myk

I love the 2nd 'Gen body with that smooth and curvaceous top, that slides down and flares out to form the rear quarters with no interruption.  That part of the 2nd Gen's body is what convinced me to get a Charger over a Chevelle/GTO/whatever...

Dreamcar

I already know what's going to happen....I'll have my welder in hand, ready to fill the holes, and I'll be saying "do I really want to do this?" :brickwall:

Dino

Of course you do.  If you change your mind you just need to drill some holes.

No top with the trim in place looks a little strange to me.  I can't wait to rip the top off my car honestly, I love the lines of the roof sweeping down into the quarter.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

myk

Quote from: Dreamcar on January 24, 2014, 08:35:32 AM
I already know what's going to happen....I'll have my welder in hand, ready to fill the holes, and I'll be saying "do I really want to do this?" :brickwall:

Whatever you do, don't do what I did: I told the body shop to leave the holes open for the name badges on the C pillars, but when I got the car back I decided I didn't want the emblems on there....DOH!   :brickwall:

Brock Lee

BROCK

I didn't vote.  It is NOT a silly question.  Until just now, I thought all
3 versions have been represented very well.  Now it is all 4 versions
that you have to choose from :P
My 70 is plain.  This is not how I prefer to describe it.  The description
was given here, so I'll go with it.  

The 2nd gen Charger was designed to have a contrasting body / roof
combination. That is 1 dark & other light colored.  Well, Richard Sias
did not come out & actually say that in the magazine article "Dodge
Performance Styling" written by Tony Young.  The description reads
"Most Dramatic."  It's a good read from the 70s.  Sadly, I do not know
which magazine or issue the article appeared in.  

The timeless view of raw automotive power suggests plain is the right
way to go.  Adding a vinyl top suggests the preservation of a very time
specific era - The muscle car era!  Leaving the checks in place with a
body colored roof tips your hat to the Duke boys.  You can also tip your
hat to Richard Petty with a textured paint top as he did on his 68 Bird.  
Car & Driver May 68 blurb titled Deadline for Daytona states that his
car was 5MPH faster than 2nd best in qualifying.  Most attributed this
to the roof treatment - but a photographer trying to get pictures of the
strange baffling & quasi-belly pans knows better even if he did lose his
pictures from that day.  

It's yours:  You can't chose wrong if it appeals to you.   :2thumbs:

=============================================
Let your music be in transit to the world

cudaken

I removed the top off my second Charger, what a PIA, never again! Personally I think the Charger in the only car that looks good with a vinyl top.

Cuda Ken  :Twocents:
I am back

Troy

Those trim pieces are "gunk traps". If they aren't there to serve a purpose (ie hide and hold down the edges of the top) then I wouldn't waste time reinstalling them. The only reason I can think of is if you are undecided about installing a top in the future and don't want to drill holes on a painted car.

The guys who built the General Lees did it because they were in a hurry and/or lazy. Not because it looked good!

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Ghoste

Also a nice access point to allow water into the dark crevises of the 1/4 panels.