News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What does a decent paint job cost these days for a simple color like black?

Started by MxRacer855, January 22, 2014, 11:56:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chargerboy69

Quote from: jaak on January 23, 2014, 02:36:34 PM
Quote from: Homerr on January 23, 2014, 01:47:46 PM
If you want a budget job, check out this guy's thread over at FBBO.  He found a guy on craigslist cheap for paint.  YMMV

http://www.forbbodiesonly.com/moparforum/showthread.php?40022-Project-Pittsbird-Almost-Done&p=909769027&viewfull=1#post909769027

Even if you ask around in your area, and check references...they are a lot of body guys that work on the side, and like someone else mentioned, they can usually do it cheaper, due to not having overhead costs.

BTW, I don't buy all this "extra labor" and "more expensive" costs just because it's black. If a man skips a few steps on body work just because a car isn't black....he doesn't need to be working on it, period!  :Twocents:

Jason

Well said.

When I painted my one 69 black I had several shops tell me it would be more money because the body had to look perfect.  My response was I wanted it perfect no matter what color I painted it.  :shruggy:
Indiana Army National Guard 1st Battalion, 293rd Infantry. Nightfighters. Fort Wayne Indiana.

A government big enough to give you everything you need, is a government big enough to take away everything that you have.
--Gerald Ford

chargerboy69

Ever think about your local Maaco? I know some can be crap, but my buddy had his painted at our local Maaco and it turned out very well. They had his for roughly two weeks, he took the guys in pizzas, McDonalds and Dairy Queen to keep them happy.  It paid off as they really took their time and got it right. The painter even applied a couple extra coats of clear for nothing.  He spent days wet sanding it and buffing it and when he was done it looked as good a $8000.00 paint job.

I believe he had about $1500 to $1800 in it.
Indiana Army National Guard 1st Battalion, 293rd Infantry. Nightfighters. Fort Wayne Indiana.

A government big enough to give you everything you need, is a government big enough to take away everything that you have.
--Gerald Ford

xoman60

I'm in the market to paint mine also within the next year. I've got 2 estimates so far from classic car restoration painters and they came in around 11,000. That's painting original color R4 red with no rust issues or body work. That's hand sanding and 3 coats of R4. I forgot what they said about the clear coating. Also includes knocking out some dings in my chrome trim. Gonna get one more estimate before I decide.

greenpigs

1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

MxRacer855

Quote from: chargerboy69 on January 23, 2014, 06:51:37 PM
Ever think about your local Maaco? I know some can be crap, but my buddy had his painted at our local Maaco and it turned out very well. They had his for roughly two weeks, he took the guys in pizzas, McDonalds and Dairy Queen to keep them happy.  It paid off as they really took their time and got it right. The painter even applied a couple extra coats of clear for nothing.  He spent days wet sanding it and buffing it and when he was done it looked as good a $8000.00 paint job.

I believe he had about $1500 to $1800 in it.

That's definitely the way to do it! :2thumbs: We were bringing the construction workers that were building our house Corona's just before they were done for the day. It provides that necessary incentive and motivation. I always heard that Maaco was the bottom of the barrel. It scares me to even consider that option, but if your friends paint job truly turned out the way that you said it did under those circumstances, maybe it's an option seriously worth considering then.
Thanks for your input.

Jeff

1974dodgecharger

I say maaco also...if your car is nasty paint to begin with I dont think they could mess it even more? 

ws23rt

So what does a decent paint job cost?

I take this to mean something that looks as good as factory and is done without breaking the car down to individual parts.

Of course the cost could go as high as the sky.  But that is not the question.  In the sixties I was reading about high end paint jobs and what that entails. The mention of $30,000 was hard to accept until understanding what they were talking about.

I had my 09 Challenger repaired after hitting a deer. Of the $7500 repair maybe 20% was paint and was the front half blended at the doors.  I can't tell where the blend is but I can tell the lack of the factory orange peel in the new finish.

I expect one should be very pleased with what can be had for $1500  to $3000 :Twocents:

Aero426

Quote from: MxRacer855 on January 27, 2014, 12:15:34 AM

That's definitely the way to do it! :2thumbs: We were bringing the construction workers that were building our house Corona's just before they were done for the day. It provides that necessary incentive and motivation. I always heard that Maaco was the bottom of the barrel. It scares me to even consider that option, but if your friends paint job truly turned out the way that you said it did under those circumstances, maybe it's an option seriously worth considering then.

Maaco's are usually franchise operations, so the experience from one to another may not be typical.    But like any service, it can't hurt to take care of the people doing your work. 

Cooter

Quote from: 1974dodgecharger on January 27, 2014, 12:53:06 AM
I say maaco also...if your car is nasty paint to begin with I dont think they could mess it even more? 

That paint doesn't hold up to the UV rays...a friends Maaco job peeled off inside of 3 years...
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Aero426

I'll say it again:  there is no free lunch with paint jobs.    If you know a starving body guy who will work on the side with low overhead, the rock bottom starting point for a "decent" paint job with minimal body work is probably about $5000.    You will have to work pretty darn hard to find someone who will do your body work, align your panels, prep and paint the jambs, squirt the exterior,  then wet sand and buff for that price.    :smilielol:   And do not be surprised if down the road, you discover that a shortcut or two was taken.    

cazz

Aero426

Quote from: twodko on January 23, 2014, 12:26:17 AM
Pricing depends on footage. Do you want 20 foot paint job or a 1 foot paint job? Shorter footage greater price.

This is still the most concise answer of the thread.

chargerboy69

Quote from: Aero426 on January 27, 2014, 09:59:38 AM
Quote from: MxRacer855 on January 27, 2014, 12:15:34 AM

Maaco's are usually franchise operations, so the experience from one to another may not be typical.
   But like any service, it can't hurt to take care of the people doing your work. 

Exactly.

For a month he and I would drive over and look at cars coming out of the shop.  The painter they had there at the time was outstanding and did very good work, he has since moved on.  But if you are really considering Maaco I would suggest going over there off and on for a couple weeks looking at their work, checking for flaws and consistency.

--Gerald Ford

Canadian1968

Dont waste your time/ money on Macco.

15K+ = SHOW CAR
10K  = DAMN NICE JOB
7K = Still a very clean job
5K and under Its hit or miss !!

Painting a car is really not that expensive.  It the prep and body work that comes before. So , if you need body work done its gonna be expensive!! Your best hope is to find a painter that does stuff on the side and is willing to work with you.

I'm in Ontario by the way hahah...

chargerrtmikey

I think I will start a painting business these prices are outrages. If material cost are 1500 to 2000 and someone is charging 15,000 plus for just spraying a car I have some ocean front property in Iowa you may want to buy.

Ghoste

I don't those quotes are for spraying alone.  As they keep saying the costs are in the body and prep work.  And there would be some regional costs too I imagine since in Ontario they have to use water borne.  But I'm not a painter so Im just guessing.

6pkrtse

I could never afford to drop the coin it would cost to re-paint my red charger which it will need someday, so I just drive it as original as it is for now. Once you get it painted, then the bumpers look bad so they need to be re-chromed, then all of the trim needs to be polished & on & on. Then it gets a full restoration & the reason many people get in over there heads due to the costs involved.
1963 Belvedere 413 Max Wedge
1970 Charger R/T S.E. 440 sixpack.
1970 Challenger R/T Drag Radial 528 Hemi
1970 Charger 500 S.E. 440 4 BBL
1970 Road Runner 383 4 BBL
1974 Chrysler New Yorker 440 4 BBL
1996 Dodge Ram 2500 V-10 488 cu in.
2004 Dodge Ram 3500 CTD Dually 6x6
2012 Challenger R/T Classic

myk

Quote from: 6pkrtse on January 28, 2014, 08:22:33 AM
I could never afford to drop the coin it would cost to re-paint my red charger which it will need someday, so I just drive it as original as it is for now. Once you get it painted, then the bumpers look bad so they need to be re-chromed, then all of the trim needs to be polished & on & on. Then it gets a full restoration & the reason many people get in over there heads due to the costs involved.

Tell me about it.  I've got faded, almost broken side marker lenses and it's embarrassing, meanwhile my bumpers have some pitting in the chrome.  But, when people critique the car I tell them I don't have Leno or Oprah money and I can only do the car in stages...

Cooter

Quote from: chargerrtmikey on January 28, 2014, 07:31:47 AM
I think I will start a painting business these prices are outrages. If material cost are 1500 to 2000 and someone is charging 15,000 plus for just spraying a car I have some ocean front property in Iowa you may want to buy.

So your saying you would spend at least 2 years prepping panels, listening to some guy exclaim about how badass he wants his car's paint to be, redo the afore mentioned panels after said guy says the first paint job wasn't worth what he paid and if you were any kinda 'decent' Mopar guy, don't want your name dragged through the mud all over cyber space, once completed, said guy still thinks you screwed him over, buy all the tools needed to perform said paint job, listen to guy whine and bitch about how his buddy coulda got a better deal on some ACME equipment paint that woulda looked just as good cause he saw his skid loader he once painted for less??

Obviously, you know nothing bout perfectionist antique car owners.....
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Dreamcar

I've only done one other project car in my life.  I had it down to bare metal, however here's how I was able to keep the cost manageable:

1. Learn to do body work yourself, even if it takes time. This includes learning what tools to use and the materials to buy and how to use them. I spent lots of time reading and doing research. Then, I started on the car. Did I make mistakes...absolutely yes. But if you make a mistake during body work and priming you still have an opportunity to fix it before paint. It took me almost 2 years on it to get it right, but I think it was worth it. Don't be afraid to have experts look at your work and critique you and give you tips. Ask lots of questions. This is how you learn. Most car guys and girls are willing to help others...like on this forum. Don't rush it, but use products that allow you to take your time, but be safe doing it.

2. Find a paint shop that is willing to paint the car but allows you to do most of the body work. Not all of them will. Those that do will likely not give your much of a warranty. I asked the body shop that did mine to do one last block sanding on the outside panels with an expert's eye, and then shoot the paint. Their paint booth meant very little dust and imperfections. I had already painted the engine bay and door jams, and reinstalled the doors and fenders. It's even better if you can get a paint shop to agree to do this for you before you start. That way you can ask them questions as you go...for example, my body shop told me that they didn't care what type of epoxy I used, as long as it was a good quality automotive epoxy. Now I know that I won't have any compatibility issues with their waterborne paints. Because I lived nearby, they even came over to see the car before I had it towed there before giving me the final price. 

At the end of it all, my car turn out great and the cost was manageable. It even looked great from 3 feet away. Was it 100%, Barrett-Jackson show car flawless? No...so I wasn't scared to drive it when I was done. And, I would dare to say that it looked better than many of the cars at the cruise night.
"And another thing, when I gun the motor, I want people to think the world is coming to an end." - Homer Simpson

1969 Charger, 383, Q5/V1W, A35, H51, N88,  numbers match (under restoration)

Ghoste

Dreamcar, I haven't seen your Charger but I'd hazard a guess that you can hold your head high around the vast majority of those B-J show cars.  Most but not all of them are quick and dirty and just happen to look good under the lights and on television.

Dino

Anyone can put a nice coat of paint on a car and many maaco guys do nothing but paint so I'm with Tim on this one, check them out and find a good one.  I was a freelance painter early on in my career and worked anywhere from the prestigious Jaguars to the lowly beaters in the corner body shop.  Painting is painting and when you're good you're good.  Simple as that.  What is really really difficult is the job that comes before paint, the prep.  If that's not dead on then ANY paint job by ANY painter is a waste of time and money.

I am shocked to see some of these prices though, it really does not take all that much time and material to paint a car. 
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

6pkrtse

Quote from: Dino on January 28, 2014, 09:45:40 AM
Anyone can put a nice coat of paint on a car and many maaco guys do nothing but paint so I'm with Tim on this one, check them out and find a good one.  I was a freelance painter early on in my career and worked anywhere from the prestigious Jaguars to the lowly beaters in the corner body shop.  Painting is painting and when you're good you're good.  Simple as that.  What is really really difficult is the job that comes before paint, the prep.  If that's not dead on then ANY paint job by ANY painter is a waste of time and money.

I am shocked to see some of these prices though, it really does not take all that much time and material to paint a car. 

Good to know Dino. When it comes to paint one of my Chargers you can help me prer & paint mine..... LOL.

Dino

Quote from: 6pkrtse on January 28, 2014, 09:57:54 AM
Quote from: Dino on January 28, 2014, 09:45:40 AM

Good to know Dino. When it comes to paint one of my Chargers you can help me prer & paint mine..... LOL.

Hey I will gladly help!  I'm always in need for an excuse to let the Charger stretch its legs.   :2thumbs:
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

6pkrtse

Cool. Thanks. Did you paint yours? It always looks awesome from any of the pictures I have seen of it.