News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What does a decent paint job cost these days for a simple color like black?

Started by MxRacer855, January 22, 2014, 11:56:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MxRacer855

I'm deciding that I might want to get that new paint job with how apart my car is right now. What does a decent, simple paint job cost these days? I'm looking to get a black paint job. I know there is a million and one different variables that factor into pricing (quality of paint, clear coats, etc..), I just want a ballpark from those of you who know please. 5K? 7.5K? 10K?

Jeff

1970Moparmann

It all depends on how nice you want it.  Plus, are you doing the bodywork prior to spraying?

Depending on paint supplies, your talking up to $1,500 just for this part of the equation.

If metal replacement is needed, it climbs up.   

Black also "should" require a good amount of work after it is sprayed if you want it to look better.  One of the cheapest colors is white because it won't show up as much.

Need more info to give a better idea.
My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!

Aero426

You did say you wanted it black.    There is no such thing as a budget black paint job that looks "decent", unless you do it all yourself.  

Way too many variables to even get close on an answer.   How much work is going to be required on the existing panels?    If it was as simple as scuff and shoot, and you knew someone who worked cheap, (we're talking illegal alien cheap here), you could get it painted for $5k.  It might wave at you in a few spots when you walked by.     Material costs for name brand stuff are a good part of that amount.      

About 10 years ago, a friend had his car done as a complete.   Not a restoration, just painted black.     The shop gave him an accurate estimate and a firm time frame for completion and they delivered.   The car had some typical rust repairs on various panels.   I think the bill came to $18k.  And the car is dead flat, perfect.   The work is still holding up.    

twodko

Pricing depends on footage. Do you want 20 foot paint job or a 1 foot paint job? Shorter footage greater price.
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

MxRacer855

Quote from: Aero426 on January 23, 2014, 12:25:16 AM
You did say you wanted it black.    There is no such thing as a budget black paint job that looks "decent", unless you do it all yourself.  

Way too many variables to even get close on an answer.   How much work is going to be required on the existing panels?    If it was as simple as scuff and shoot, and you knew someone who worked cheap, (like illegal alien cheap), you could get it painted for $5k.  It might wave at you in a few spots when you walked by.     Material costs for name brand stuff are a good part of that amount.      

About 10 years ago, a friend had his car done as a complete.   Not a restoration, just painted black.     The shop gave him an accurate estimate and a firm time frame for completion and they delivered.   The car had some typical rust repairs on various panels.   I think the bill came to $18k.  And the car is dead flat, perfect.   The work is still holding up.    

Taking into consideration that it is a very difficult color to hide imperfections (I always seem to forget), I need to just do what your buddy did and get the job done right. Nothing special is cheap. I guess I'll just keep doing body work until then and hold off... :'(

greenpigs

The couple people I know who do bodywork for a living will not paint a car they did not do the bodywork on.

As for a price it's all over the place and so is the quality of the work.
:Twocents:
1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

Ghoste

Although painting the car while it's torn apart isn't an entirely bad idea either MX.  You just need to wait until the bodywork is done so all the parts can be shot together.

Nacho-RT74

Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

tcs69rt

What about trying the local high schools or colleges that have auto body classes? I have heard of people just paying for the supplies and the kids get to learn. IF you can deal with that? Hit the local cruise nights and ask if they know of anyone that paints. That way you can see their work up close. Good luck.
"Life ain't easy when you rode the short bus."

DAY CLONA

Quote from: tcs69rt on January 23, 2014, 10:12:07 AM
What about trying the local high schools or colleges that have auto body classes? I have heard of people just paying for the supplies and the kids get to learn.  Good luck.

Friend of mine went that route, he was a cheap ass, didn't like the price I gave him, or the prices of some local shops, so he found a trade school to bring his 70 Superbee too, he just wanted a colour change, he showed up a few days later to see what progress they had made, well they were doing the dent removal/bodywork, funny thing is he didn't need any bodywork as the car was very straight, seemed the instructor noticed that too, so after the car was delivered to the shop he went around with a hammer and "tuned up" the body, so the students would have "something" to do!....nice!, needless to say if turned into a bondo bucket with a crap arse paint job, and this was one of those "big name" trade schools you see advertised on TV....he ended up selling the car, he was so disgusted with it, you get what you pay for

A nice BLACK paint job will run you $10-$15K out this way, and that's for a straight car to begin with, needing minimal bodywork, and just a complete shell, no major disassembly for the shop, premium body/paint materials alone will run about $2K+

nge

Ditto
$15K, reasons
1. Black pigments arent cheap so the paint isnt as cheap as you migh think
2. Black shows off bad body work so my painter had to make sure the body was very straight before he painted it  (for some painters, your car is their "buisness card")

Cooter

" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Aero426

Quote from: Cooter on January 23, 2014, 12:40:51 PM
Just wait till everything's water born .......

Paint job $25k

It ain't gonna get cheaper with water borne, you can take that to the bank. 

Aero426

The vocational college route is not the best option as the emphasis for the students is really on training for collision repair, not performing rust repair and paint jobs.    However, if the school offers an evening or continuing education course where they allow you to bring your car or panels in,  you can do it yourself.   I did this car in black, this way.   It helped that my car was driveable. 

MxRacer855

I guess I'm going to have to wait then. I'm going to make sure EVERYTHING body wise is replaced and lined up before spraying that kind of money on it. It blows my mind that a quality job costs that much. thanks for all of the input guys.

MxRacer855

Thanks Homerr, I'll check it out. Chances are I'll hold off to get everything body related squared away over the next year or so and be inquiring about this again.

jaak

Quote from: Homerr on January 23, 2014, 01:47:46 PM
If you want a budget job, check out this guy's thread over at FBBO.  He found a guy on craigslist cheap for paint.  YMMV

http://www.forbbodiesonly.com/moparforum/showthread.php?40022-Project-Pittsbird-Almost-Done&p=909769027&viewfull=1#post909769027

Even if you ask around in your area, and check references...they are a lot of body guys that work on the side, and like someone else mentioned, they can usually do it cheaper, due to not having overhead costs.

BTW, I don't buy all this "extra labor" and "more expensive" costs just because it's black. If a man skips a few steps on body work just because a car isn't black....he doesn't need to be working on it, period!  :Twocents:

Jason

Troy

Quote from: jaak on January 23, 2014, 02:36:34 PM
If you want a budget job, check out this guy's thread over at FBBO.  He found a guy on craigslist cheap for paint.  YMMV

http://www.forbbodiesonly.com/moparforum/showthread.php?40022-Project-Pittsbird-Almost-Done&p=909769027&viewfull=1#post909769027

Even if you ask around in your area, and check references...they are a lot of body guys that work on the side, and like someone else mentioned, they can usually do it cheaper, due to not having overhead costs.

BTW, I don't buy all this "extra labor" and "more expensive" costs just because it's black. If a man skips a few steps on body work just because a car isn't black....he doesn't need to be working on it, period!  :Twocents:

Jason
:iagree:

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

bull

Black is not simple, unless it's flat black. Really there are no simple colors if you want it done right but light colors and matte shades will better hide body work ineptitude.

MxRacer855

Quote from: jaak on January 23, 2014, 02:36:34 PM
If you want a budget job, check out this guy's thread over at FBBO.  He found a guy on craigslist cheap for paint.  YMMV

BTW, I don't buy all this "extra labor" and "more expensive" costs just because it's black. If a man skips a few steps on body work just because a car isn't black....he doesn't need to be working on it, period!  :Twocents:

Jason

Well said Jaak! I like that.