News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Talked with an engine builder today.........--->

Started by Paul G, January 22, 2014, 06:05:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul G

I am really contemplating pulling the 300HP small block and going big. This would most likely be a two year project because it aint going to be cheap. The first step would be to find a good engine builder. So I called Basko, he builds a lot of Mopar engines for people I know right here in Phoenix. We discussed my goals, my Charger has to be able to outrun my 500 HP truck, 1/4 mile times in the 12's. 600 HP/TQ should do that in a 4000#+ Charger, streetable enough for power steering, power brakes, and A/C.

We talked about a 500" range stroker motor. He said he builds a lot of them. Very common build. Not getting too much in to build specifics the price range he gave me was $6500 up to $10000, depending in how stout I need it to be. It is not a drag car, it is intended to be an aZz kicking street car that can idle at a stop light. He suggests to start with a bare block core that he can source. 

He asked about the current set up. 2500 stahl converter, A518 auto, 3:91 gears. He suggested the converter go up to 3500 stahl, all else can work.

It is going to be a big project switching over. I am wondering if it might not be advantageous to swap in a running low comp 440 motor home engine first. Those can be had for $500. Trans adapter, radiator, engine mounts will all switch over. Or that might just be a waste of $$ and time.

1972 Charger Topper Special, 360ci, 46RH OD trans, 8 3/4 sure grip with 3.91 gear, 14.93@92 mph.
1973 Charger Rallye, 4 speed, muscle rat. Whatever engine right now?

Mopars Unlimited of Arizona

http://www.moparsaz.com/#

Troy

Waste of money and time. Ok, actually both are in my opinion. :P

I certainly wouldn't waste the effort to swap in a low power big block unless you just wanted to get "prepped" for the stroker and liked getting dirty. Keeping a car on the road with as little down time as possible is more important to me than a tiny bump in power - especially through a lot of effort. You may find that you can make your car very street un-friendly in a hurry (gas additives, cooling issues, idling issues, fitment issues, etc.). I'd rather be able to drive every day in all conditions than be the fastest car at the track every once in a while. Not everyone is the same.

Are you sure that A518 will hold 600 HP?

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

BSB67

Paul, I think you are taking the right approach. And I urge you to continue to work on your Plan, Schedule, Budget, and Goals.  Don't rush this part.  Get real clear with yourself on exactly what you want.  If what you want costs more, stretch the schedule.

Suggestions:
Don't ask for a hp number, or an et buy itself.  I suggest stating your performance goals something like this: "With a weight of 4000#, a 3.91 gear, a 2500 rpm convertor, and a street tire (be specific) I want the car to run 12.0 sec at 115 mph at 3400 ft altitude in the summer.  I want it to idle with 12" of vacuum at 750 rpm in gear at an idle, and the car will have power brakes and A/C.

Here is what I see time and time again.  Guy wants 500 hp, and want to run 12.0s.  He thinks he gets it. Goes to the track and the car runs  13.2 at 110 mph.  Dissapointed, he asks what is wrong.  The answer usually is: " well, you need more gear, more converter, open your headers, put on better tires, and redo your tune, and you should be there.  Another words, completely change your car, and at no small expense.

You absolutely do not need a 3500 converter.  Unless your current converter is junk, it will work.

500" NA, Eddy head, pump gas, exhaust manifold with 2 1/2 exhaust with tailpipes
4150 lbs with driver, 3.23 gear, stock converter
11.68 @ 120.2 mph

Cooter

Remember Paul, the closer you try to get that 40 year old car to performing like  .  A $45k newer car, the closer that 40 year old car will cost you $45k...

With that said,
very hard to have your cake and eat it too when you have to engineer that feat.
good luck, and hope you meet your goals. I'm having a blast nodding this little 3rd gen Camaro. It has responded very well to simple mods.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

myk

If you've got the money, then taking an intermediate step by putting in a low 'comp 440 might be an interesting lesson for you and the car.  But, if money is an issue, and I don't know about you but a $5-$10K motor is a freaking fortune to me, I'd see it as a waste of savings by trying to get that low 'comp 440 transplant going.  Keep in mind it's not just a matter of dropping it in; you'll spend money and time trying to get that 440 to work; I'd just save it for the real deal, this stroker motor of yours or whatever it ends up turning out to be...

1974dodgecharger

Is that going to ruin that beautiful engine bay u have?  :icon_smile_big: bays engine is so clean u could eat off it. 

Man I need a 2nd job for this hobby.......

myk

Quote from: 1974dodgecharger on January 23, 2014, 05:38:52 AM
Is that going to ruin that beautiful engine bay u have?  :icon_smile_big: bays engine is so clean u could eat off it. 

Man I need a 2nd job for this hobby.......

Just don't make the same mistake I did and drop out of school; delayed gratification is the key...

Paul G

Quote from: Troy on January 22, 2014, 06:16:53 PM
Are you sure that A518 will hold 600 HP?
Troy

The builder said it is good to 500 HP. It will be right on the edge.

Quote from: BSB67 on January 22, 2014, 07:16:19 PM
You absolutely do not need a 3500 converter.  Unless your current converter is junk, it will work.

The converter is a Hughes unit. Put it in with the trans swap a couple of years ago. Lock up converter, and it was pricey. $550. I would really like to keep it.

My idea of doing a low buck swap first is to get a lot of the work done, a little at a time. There was a complete and running 440 on CL here, air cleaner to oil pan, with radiator and accessories, freshly rebuilt (take that with a grain of salt), for just $575.00. But it sold. It would drop in, engine conversion mounts, flex plate, tranny belhousing, headers and exhaust, all swapping over to the fresh engine when the time came. Pull the weak 440 out and drop in the beast. Then re sell the stock 440.   
It was just an idea? Probably better to collect all the parts and do the swap just one time. That is a couple years away. Unless someone wants to donate to the cause.  :icon_smile_big:
1972 Charger Topper Special, 360ci, 46RH OD trans, 8 3/4 sure grip with 3.91 gear, 14.93@92 mph.
1973 Charger Rallye, 4 speed, muscle rat. Whatever engine right now?

Mopars Unlimited of Arizona

http://www.moparsaz.com/#