News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

YOM (Year of Manufacture) Plates

Started by ChgrSteve67, July 03, 2009, 12:02:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChgrSteve67

Its a problems solvers team they run.

They got the hook up.

bull

Interesting. Is this print or TV news? Either way I'd like to see what they had to say if you've got a copy of it for us.

ChgrSteve67

Its a Sacramento TV News Station

http://www.kcra.com/call3/index.html

They have not done a story on my problem and I don't really think they will, but they do help people get problems solved. News Stations seem to know the right people to talk to when your faced with dealing with stoopid people or people that do not have the authority to solve problems.

They did a story on DirectTV when they charges a family a early termination fee after thier house burned down.
Needless to say they did not have to pay the fee.

Public embarrassment is an amazing motivator.

ChgrSteve67

This is the closest information about the year break down and sequence of plates issued.

Note: This is someones personal research not anything definative from the DMV or historical agency.

[My research has shown the 1963-69 year-by-year, letter allocation breakdown has some overlap, but generally plates BEGINNING with the following letters correspond to the year of issue: ABCD= 1963, EFGHI=1964, JKLMN=1965, OPQRS=1966, TUVW=1967, WXYZ=1968-69]

Got info from here
http://www.mercurycougar.net/forums/showthread.php?t=43097

Personally I don't think DMV kept track or had any method to the madness.
I think they started at AAA and just went in sequence till they almost ran out.
Then changed to Blue and Yellow plates

Thus the reason DMV does not require a specific year sequence to put on a YOM car.

rt green

south Dakota doesn't have that kind of nightmare. step 1- lic the vehicle (20 yrs or older ) step 2- find the special form on line step 3- fill out the very short  form step4- take a pic of the intended plates to be used step 5- attach pic of plates to form along with a check for 10 bucks. step 6- receve registration in mail.    and never pay for plates again.
I'm not poking fun at cal, but its unbelievable the hassle and man hrs wasted for such a simple thing
third string oil changer

ChgrSteve67

Quote from: rt green on October 08, 2009, 06:10:08 AM
I'm not poking fun at cal, but its unbelievable the hassle and man hrs wasted for such a simple thing

Go ahead and poke fun because this is some stupid crap.

Basicly CA is making these just like personalized plates but they don't have to make them.
Honestly I think they should supply all stickers and instruction on how to properly display them.

Its a money maker.
My registration for this car will run me $80 - $100 a year.
Thank got it does not require a smog or safety inspection.
but give them time.

Neal_J

Quote from: ChgrSteve67 on October 08, 2009, 11:13:39 AM
Basicly CA is making these just like personalized plates but they don't have to make them.

Funny you say that.  Thinking I'd discovered a way to short-circuit the process, last night I tried to order a new "environmental" custom plate for my Charger using the old format 123-ABC plate # that my car originally had. I figured I could have a custom black plate made and avoid all the DMV hassle. 

Alas, DMV site won't allow the old 123-ABC plate combinations, even on the new (non-black) custom plates.

Grrrr.

ChgrSteve67

Yep

They blocked that many years ago.

I know a few people that have painted thier plates black and yellow or blue and yellow (some personalized) since they could not put the correct one on.

There are a few places that will make any plate you want.
I do not know the quality or if you could pass them off at the local DMV as real.
I'm sure you could eventually find someone at DMV that does not know how to tell a real from a fake.
I bet more than a few will try and a few will suceed.

Neal_J

Roger that.  I used Darryl's in PA to restore the black plates on my Olds and there's another place that makes exact duplicates but they won't ship to CA.  They do ship to friends in Colorado, however....

375instroke

What's the deal with needing a year sticker matching the vehicle year?  What's the point?  Wouldn't a new 1969 vehicle, for instance, be issued a 1970 year sticker, since that's when the next year's registration would be due?  Idiots!

ChgrSteve67

Well another interesting day between the News station and the DMV.

News station called me asking if my problem was resolved. = No
Asked if I tried to contact them about it. = Yes twice left message and no return call.
News person said she was going to escallate to her director because she was going to be gone for the next two weeks.
Also asked if I would be willing to apear on camera if the station chose to do a story about this. = Sure

1 hour later the DMV calls me asking if I have recieved my registration yet.  = LOL = ah No
She asks me for the Black plate number and I give it to her.
She reads my home address back to me and its right.
She then tells me that she processed my registration on the 6th and sent it out the next day. = I have to Take her word for it
So according to her I should get my registration any day. = yeah after she mails it out today.

So I ask if she included the metal tabs for displaying the tags with the paperwork. She said no and asked if I wanted to display my year sticker and that I only needed the metal tabs if I chose to display the 1967 year sticker. I then asked her if I had a choice on wheather or not I had to display the 1967 year sticker and just put the current year and month on the black plates. she said yes and that she would send me a set of tabs anyways.

Strainge that I have to have the 1967 sticker for the plates in order to register them to my car but I don't have to use it or display them.

The saga continues.

Dans 68

Thanks for the update, Steve. Government inertia is a bitch to overcome.  :rotz:  So, then, why does one need the year sticker...????

I hope to see you Sunday morning! 8:00 am, correct?

Dan
1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259

ChgrSteve67

Quote from: Dans 68 on October 15, 2009, 10:16:35 PM
Thanks for the update, Steve. Government inertia is a bitch to overcome.  :rotz:  So, then, why does one need the year sticker...????

Dan

Hell if I know.

8AM ?  I though it was 10 AM
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,61527.msg691204.html#msg691204

Dans 68

You're right. I must be anxious or something.... :laugh:

Dan
1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259

ChgrSteve67

Well I finally got my registration and tags today.

Processed on the 6th

Mailed on the 15th

I was suprised to see a Month sticker included.

squeakfinder

Quote from: bull on July 04, 2009, 02:31:45 AM
FWIW, I just contacted a plate restoration business at www.oregonplates.com to ask about the vanity plate vs. special interest plate issue and I was told I can register my period-correct, unassigned plates as special interest plates for a one-time fee of $81. Oregon DMV told me I had to register them as vanity plates which is about $80 each year. :slap:

No one probably cares except to say that you might check with your local plate restoration business (if you have one) because they probably know the state laws better than anyone at the local motor vehicles dept. They can probably cite the exact ordinance too and that would be good ammunition to take with you when you go to register.

Bull,

Did you ever get this figured out. Did you have to register as vanity plates for $81.00 a year or are they like the antique plates for the one time fee but you can only drive the car in parades? Or is it something else?
Still looking for 15x7 Appliance slotted mags.....