News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Shocks

Started by comet_666, January 21, 2014, 12:05:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

comet_666

Starting to put my 69 back together and was looking at shocks, I think it had Advanced Auto specials on there before, I know there are some new adjustable ones out there but I don't want to go crazy. What are your thoughts on shocks?

twodko

You can go crazy expensive if money's not an issue. For me I installed KYB shocks on the front and Gabriel air shocks on my 69. Happy happy
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

Ghoste

I have KYB on mine now but I've usede a fair number of brands over the years and most with good results.

66FBCharger

I just removed the air shocks and installed four Bilsteins. It made a dramatic difference in ride.
I got them from Firm Feel. I am pretty sure they were $400 for the set of 4.
i like them so much, I will put 4 on my wife's 'Cuda 340 this year.
'69 Charger R/T 440 4 speed T5, '70 Road Runner 440+6 4 speed, '73 'Cuda 340 4 speed, '66 Charger 383 Auto
SOLD!:'69 Charger R/T S.E. 440 4 speed 3.54 Dana rolling body

comet_666

I will give those a try!

myk

All I've ever known are KYB's, but I'd like to give Bilstein a try. 

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: 66FBCharger on January 21, 2014, 12:20:20 PM
I just removed the air shocks and installed four Bilsteins. It made a dramatic difference in ride.
I got them from Firm Feel. I am pretty sure they were $400 for the set of 4.
i like them so much, I will put 4 on my wife's 'Cuda 340 this year.

I concur :thumbs:
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

twenty mike mike

Quote from: myk on January 21, 2014, 02:31:13 PM

They don't call KYBs Kick Yer Butt for nothing. I've "inherited" two sets and have never been happier once they were replaced with Bilsteins.

myk, if you get a set from Firm Feel, tell them you want to pick them up at their supplier's place in El Cajon, and save the shipping. Firm Feel will not have a problem with that.

375instroke

QA1 Stocker Star did it for me.

myk

Quote from: twenty mike mike on January 21, 2014, 10:04:48 PM

They don't call KYBs Kick Yer Butt for nothing. I've "inherited" two sets and have never been happier once they were replaced with Bilsteins.

myk, if you get a set from Firm Feel, tell them you want to pick them up at their supplier's place in El Cajon, and save the shipping. Firm Feel will not have a problem with that.

Question for you: despite the "kick your butt" ride quality from the KYB's, did they help your handling?  Thanks for the tip about the Bilstein's; I'd gladly drive out to El Cajon to pick up a set...

bill440rt

I've been considering switching from KYB's to Billstein's as well. They are definitely firm.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

twenty mike mike

Quote from: myk on January 22, 2014, 07:55:10 AM
Quote from: twenty mike mike on January 21, 2014, 10:04:48 PM

Question for you: despite the "kick your butt" ride quality from the KYB's, did they help your handling?  Thanks for the tip about the Bilstein's; I'd gladly drive out to El Cajon to pick up a set...

The KYBs were much worse in both ride and handling in both cases, an '81 BMW 633 and the Charger. That's a pretty diverse sample.

No problem. Glad to help save some bucks.

myk

Alright, anyone got the part numbers for the Bilsteins?  Their site doesn't have anything for our years and Summit doesn't list it either...

-Edit, I think it's this number for the set?  #7056065

twenty mike mike

Quote from: myk on January 22, 2014, 08:10:52 PM
Alright, anyone got the part numbers for the Bilsteins?  Their site doesn't have anything for our years and Summit doesn't list it either...

-Edit, I think it's this number for the set?  #7056065

That's PST's number. Firm Feel's is BS0. Both places get the shocks from RCD in El Cajon, where the shocks are modified to fit our application.

Dino

If you can find some old stock, the Edelbrock IAS shocks are supposedly on par with the Billsteins or close at least. 
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

myk

Quote from: Dino on January 24, 2014, 08:37:40 AM
If you can find some old stock, the Edelbrock IAS shocks are supposedly on par with the Billsteins or close at least. 

Hmm...got a part number for that?

Ghoste

They don't make them anymore.  I might have an old catalog with the part number.

Dino

Quote from: myk on January 24, 2014, 08:41:44 AM
Quote from: Dino on January 24, 2014, 08:37:40 AM

Hmm...got a part number for that?

Let me take a stroll into the garage and find the boxes.  I have the 'classic' shocks which are grey but the same as the red version in regards to construction.  I'm sure the red ones have different numbers so hopefully others can chime in.  You can find them from time to time on ebay and the likes.

Dino

33413 for the fronts and 34413 for the rears.

myk

Thank you.  Well, I found ONE on ebay!

Dino

You're welcome!

One down, three to go.   :icon_smile_big:

Btw, the new price was around $75 each, just so you know.

66FBCharger

Before I decided on the Bilsteins, I looked for the Edelbrock shocks. I then found out they were no longer made. I found out that Detroit Spring had bought all the stock. I contacted them and all they had were a pair of rears but not a complete set of four. That was in the spring of 2013.
You might be able to assemble a set. Check Detroit spring, they still might have the pair that i didn't buy.
'69 Charger R/T 440 4 speed T5, '70 Road Runner 440+6 4 speed, '73 'Cuda 340 4 speed, '66 Charger 383 Auto
SOLD!:'69 Charger R/T S.E. 440 4 speed 3.54 Dana rolling body