News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Just don't get it...

Started by myk, January 20, 2014, 05:21:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

myk

Working at the newest Buffalo Wild Wings in San Diego that just opened up four weeks ago definitely has its perks: brand new building, 90 flat screens with two 170" screens, 30 beers on tap, chest thumping bass from the sound systems, local San Diego Charger cheerleaders doing publicity visits, potential for fat quarterly bonuses, on and on.  However, all of the fun and games disappeared this afternoon when three independent brawls broke out after the 49'ers/'Hawks game. 

This rant is in the form of a question that stems above and beyond the fights that broke out in my restaurant and at other sports-related events: how do people become so impassioned about something that they're willing to resort to violence for it?  I mean, I understand resorting to violence if it's a matter of life or death, but sports?  It's just "sports!" Little kids conduct sporting events at local fields across the world all day long and I'm willing to wager that they behave with more maturity and grace than the "adults" I encountered this afternoon.

Now, personally speaking I couldn't care less about sports.  Honestly, call me flawed if you will, but I've never felt passion for much of anything in life, and certainly not to the point that I would resort to violence for it.  The only things I have ever displayed any sort of passion for, above a vague and soon-to-pass interest, is defending the 2nd Amendment and the idea of much harsher punishment on crime.  Furthermore, as strong as my convictions are for those two subjects, I still wouldn't resort to violence in an attempt to validate my point to my opposition because....I genuinely couldn't "care less" about what the opposition thinks, and I'm certainly not going to assault anyone for it!  That isn't to say there aren't people who feel that way about such topics.  I have a friend who's a postal worker (this is not a joke), who owns a gun-collection so large it looks like you're walking into a gun store, and he's always talking about assassinating politicians who are trying to restrict the 2nd Amendment. 

So in the aftermath of trying to break up these mobs of man-children, I'm left trying to understand why people behave like this: they're clobbering one another and risking incarceration for some delusional sense of "honor" centered around their devotion to a professional sports team that doesn't even know they exist.  They're not even on the goddamn field!  What's this talk about "my team this, my team that?"  They're not on the team, they don't have any real stake in the outcome, "they" didn't "win or lose," they're just regular people wearing over-sized jerseys and backwards baseball caps with other people's names on them (which is something else I don't understand but will address that in another time).  Maybe those of you who are well versed in sports can answer this question for me: why weren't the 'Hawks and 49'ers players assaulting one another on the field?  I don't know much about football but it seemed like a very close and intense game; considering the behavior of the fans in my store, shouldn't the players on the field be just a blur of fists, feet and profanity as well? 

Picking up the pieces of broken glass I can't help but become angry.  So in angry in fact I could just....well, nothing really, who gives a f**k?   :shruggy:  It's 2:30AM and the Charger and I are going OUT...

cavemanno1

That is as old as football(soccer to you guys)!You should have seen what they do in Europe during,after or before the games!Especially during the '80s,people turn into animals to release stress,boredom or just think it's fun!

Some people think torturing helpless animals is fun :shruggy:

myk

Quote from: cavemanno1 on January 20, 2014, 06:10:37 AM
That is as old as football(soccer to you guys)!You should have seen what they do in Europe during,after or before the games!Especially during the '80s,people turn into animals to release stress,boredom or just think it's fun!

Some people think torturing helpless animals are fun :shruggy:

Ok, are we talking about fans in the stadium/arena/whatever, or fans outside of the event?  It's a stretch for me, but I can imagine mob hysteria at the event itself....MAYBE...

cavemanno1

Inside,outside,at tube station,streets you name it!

Have you seen Green Street with Mr.Frodo in it?You think it's just a movie but hell no!

My best friend in the instructor for the riot police here and he said when they went to Poland for exchanging tactics and experience they showed him some futage where the fans were in motorcross protection gear!Now i don't know if you ever seen or wore one of these gear but they are designed against hurting yourself when you crass at high speed on dirt.Anyway those thugs even train for fighting and don't care about the game just do it for fun!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4Dd7kAHguA

Week people think they are tough when they are in a group and have someone to follow!

Dino

I grew up in Europe with football, no I'm not calling it soccer, the whole friggin' world calls it football so get used to it.   :icon_smile_big:

Like cavemanno said, these people are weak.  They do not have enough working brain cells to reason or think.  All they can do is follow and make a mess of things

What always got me was that the 'fans' stayed with the team, while the players move to other teams...so what are we cheering for then?  Just a name? 

I'm an exercise science major and it is stunning what people are willing to do for their team.  It's sick.  I will never have anything to do with sports, it's a world that is too far removed from me and frankly that's how I would like to keep it.

Sorry you had to see this Myk.  People sure can disappoint.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

cavemanno1

It's a same with everything else like cars,religion whatever!The way you were brought up or people you grow up with will define who you are or what you do,if you can't make a change to your life!

But back to your topic,i think after the games those punch ups happened because of too much alcohol and big mouth!Shouldn't get all exited why guys bash each other after a game.They are the type of people who would do it anyway no matter what game is on or where they are if they had too much to drink!

It has got nothing to do with the game it's the people who think they are tough after a few pint of beer!
Hey you know what they say,if you can't stand the heat get out of the kitchen!

However,these things shouldn't happen because people go to bars and restaurants to work or enjoy themself and not getting picked on by some assdrunk fool.
That is why they have bouncers in these places to keep the peace!

dyslexic teddybear

A few thoughts.....possible answers....

Never underestimate what stupid people in a group do.....

Instant idiot.....just add alcohol. Multiply by the number of idiots in the room drinking.....

So much hype put out there that the "game" is so important you will spend money......

So many reasons......list could be loooong.....but can be summed up by the first above.

I'm with you guys, important things in life are NOT games.

Troy

I rarely watch sports. With somewhat decent parity most "good" teams only win about 50% of the time. Trash talking seems pretty pointless if you can't do better than that! When I do watch sports I want to see a competitive game and I usually root for the underdog. I honestly don't understand most sports fans. I don't understand reality TV either so I guess I'm not attuned to the typical American consumer...

Without making a lot of assumptions and sounding prejudiced... to me, many of these "rabid" fans appear to be ex-jocks (high school or otherwise) who weren't good enough to make it a career. They relive their own glory days through "their" team because they don't have a lot to brag about themselves. It seems that most people I know do follow a professional sports team (or individual player) but most of those aren't loud and in your face - and I can't imagine they'd be starting a fight.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

JB400

I say it's a combination of being a sore sport, alcohol, clouded judgment, and a short temper.

RECHRGD

Without making a lot of assumptions and sounding prejudiced... to me, many of these "rabid" fans appear to be ex-jocks (high school or otherwise) who weren't good enough to make it a career. They relive their own glory days through "their" team because they don't have a lot to brag about themselves. It seems that most people I know do follow a professional sports team (or individual player) but most of those aren't loud and in your face - and I can't imagine they'd be starting a fight.

Troy

Absolutely true!  I've noticed that with all my old classmates on Facebook.  All the old jocks are the sports nuts.  Even after fifty years, they can't stop talking about past games and posting pictures.
13.53 @ 105.32

Indygenerallee

Sold my Charger unfortunately....never got it finished.

Troy

Quote from: RECHRGD on January 20, 2014, 01:23:22 PM

Troy

Absolutely true!  I've noticed that with all my old classmates on Facebook.  All the old jocks are the sports nuts.  Even after fifty years, they can't stop talking about past games and posting pictures.
I should have also stated (thought it was implied) that the people I know who can't seem to avoid a fight are the same ones!

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

flyinlow

Who re lives their youth too much?

myk

I'm relieved to see that I'm not the only one that isn't fanatically focused on sports.  Then again, how are things going to be when we start showing the UFC stuff? 

cavemanno1

Try showing them cricket,they would burn the house down! :lol:

68CoronetRT

You work there!? Ha, funny. We just went out to dinner there the other day after the game and people were 'on edge' I'd say...

The one where Seau's used to be?

Small world! :cheers: (Sorry for being a little O/T)

myk

Quote from: 68CoronetRT on January 20, 2014, 07:03:27 PM
You work there!? Ha, funny. We just went out to dinner there the other day after the game and people were 'on edge' I'd say...

Yup, where Seau's used to be.  How was your dining experience?  Did you catch any of the scuffles?

cavemanno1

Hell,probably he caused it  :lol:

Sorry just kidding!

68CoronetRT

Quote from: myk on January 20, 2014, 07:04:55 PM

Yup, where Seau's used to be.  How was your dining experience?  Did you catch any of the scuffles?

Dining was alright, I'm not super impressed by BWW, but then again I'm not a very big fan of loud sports bars either. It was the wifes choice :angel:

Naw, apparently I missed them :shruggy:

Chad L. Magee

People will be people, as humanity is hardwired for destructive purposes after all in some manner or another.  Even I am not immune to this "pull" sometimes. :icon_smile_blackeye:  We like to think that everyone will play nice with everyone else, but that is simply just not the case, especially if a "trigger" mechanism is present (ie. alcohol, drugs, anger at the loss of a team, etc.).  Sports seems to bring out the animalistic nature more than other things due to basic competition needs that dwell inside many a spectator or fan.  I do not know of an easy way to stop this behavior, as it is so engrained.  That is my  :Twocents: on this subject....
Ph.D. Metallocene Chemist......

myk

Quote from: cavemanno1 on January 20, 2014, 07:06:58 PM
Hell,probably he caused it  :lol:

Sorry just kidding!

Not this time, lol, but I did screw up by trying to break up the fights; doing so makes the company liable.   ::)

Quote from: 68CoronetRT on January 20, 2014, 07:08:03 PM
Quote from: myk on January 20, 2014, 07:04:55 PM

Dining was alright, I'm not super impressed by BWW, but then again I'm not a very big fan of loud sports bars either. It was the wifes choice :angel:

Naw, apparently I missed them :shruggy:

Hope B-dubs doesn't find this out but I feel the same way; going to a stadium and putting up with the ruckus for a few hours is fine, but I have to do it for 12 hours straight.  I love the energy level though.

Quote from: Chad L. Magee on January 20, 2014, 08:23:07 PM
People will be people, as humanity is hardwired for destructive purposes after all in some manner or another.  Even I am not immune to this "pull" sometimes. :icon_smile_blackeye:  We like to think that everyone will play nice with everyone else, but that is simply just not the case, especially if a "trigger" mechanism is present (ie. alcohol, drugs, anger at the loss of a team, etc.).  Sports seems to bring out the animalistic nature more than other things due to basic competition needs that dwell inside many a spectator or fan.  I do not know of an easy way to stop this behavior, as it is so engrained.  That is my  :Twocents: on this subject....

Yeah I guess you're right; major drag, though.  I must remember to let these idiots destroy themselves rather than intervene.  I don't understand these idiots and I'm certainly not going to lose my job over them, either...

Mopar440+6

Quote from: myk on January 20, 2014, 06:39:18 PM
I'm relieved to see that I'm not the only one that isn't fanatically focused on sports.  Then again, how are things going to be when we start showing the UFC stuff? 

Trust me, you're not alone. I DESPISE ball and stick sports, as does my best friend. Sports are a colossal waste of time. However, my best friend used to compete in Ju-Jitsu tournaments until he blew his back out at work so we both follow UFC (I to a lesser extent). However, we're nowhere even close to the football/baseball/hockey/basketball/NASCAR fans. Can't even stand it. The last time we were at BWW to watch a UFC event one of the guys a couple tables over got pissed and started screaming at the manager because he changed the big screen to the UFC that was just starting from the POST-GAME INTERVIEWS of a football game that had been over for 3 hours! Really? I just don't understand the fascination with watching a bunch of overpaid fat guys running around a field beating up on each other. If I'm going to waste the time to watch TV (which is rare) it better be something educational, automotive, or something that takes skill. And another thing, what is with the "my team" crap? They weren't out there doing anything, most of them were sitting there stuffing their faces or guzzling cheap beer for the 4-1/2 hours it takes to play a 1 hour game. No. Just no. Sorry for the rant and I mean no offense to any sports fans on here but I'm just about sick of it by this time of year since football is by far the worst. At least I can ignore baseball and basketball for the most part.  :cussing:

As far as UFC events at BWW, my friend watches most of the fights there since he doesn't have cable and its a good excuse to go hang out with the guys for a couple hours. I attend 4-5 a year but neither of us have ever seen a skirmish break out in the bar on a UFC night. Maybe a couple heated exchanges but those usually fizzle out pretty quick. UFC is based in martial arts which nearly always place a very high value on sportsmanship. Also, remember that a lot of the guys who follow UFC also train martial arts of some form and you never know who is a blackbelt in what so that has a two fold effect: 1, most of the guys get it out of their system at the gym and 2, those who don't train are scared to pick a fight. Just my :Twocents:
"If you cant fix it with a wrench, get a hammer. If that doesn't work, get a bigger hammer!"

ws23rt

I consider myself a sports fan but sports to me are friendly competitions.

Football is more like a battle. It brings out the old territorial instinct in us that was fighting for existence in the wild.

I agree that the ones that tend to take the potential fun too far are the old jocks. They (with drinking and mob mentality) are following the primitive instincts.

We are still very much critters and some listen to the lizard voice in their heads and forget the big picture.---Boneheads---  :shruggy:

Cooter

Don't do sports. Don't do sports bars. Never fails, some drunken moron who's 10 ft tall and bullet proof always has to be the badass of the bunch. I tend to stay away from these types as I've been down that road before.
however, once being an obnoxious douche doesn't seem to be enough, they tend to try and push buttons until they find an unassuming stranger's hot button.

Then, cops get called, usually spend the night in jail for some stupid charge, when the whole time everybody, INCLUDING said Douche's buddies thank you for knocking him out.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

RallyeMike

Yea, not really much of a mystery here. People are stupid + Cold beer on tap = Same result since the beginning of time.
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/